The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1
mustang_52

357sig and Lee FCD

I've been playing around with this die for a couple days now and I can't seem to get any crimp out of it. Im using a 550b and im to the point where I barely do any belling to seat the 125gr montana gold bullets so I can get as much neck tension as possible. I followed the directions as they say to screw the die till it just touches the shellplate, then halfturn more. Ive done that and ive even gone as far as camming over and i see now evidence of any crimp ring or anything. Could it be a defective die or something? One other thing I found not clear in the instructions is when they say screw die to touch the shellplate, there is some slack in the bottom of the die, so im not sure if they want me to screw the die till it stops or what. anyways, any help would be appreciated.
Old November 6, 2006, 12:18 PM   #2
rwilson452

Lee FCD

With that die I suggest you keep screwing it in 1/4 turn per try until you get the desired crimp. one assumes you have the die for the correct 357 as in 357 vs 357sig. Different dies as I recall
Old November 6, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know if the .357 SIG FC die works like a rifle FC die or a pistol FC die? In the latter case, you touch the die body down on the shell plate to get the OD sizing ring correctly positioned. The knob on top adjusts the crimp independently of the die body position. You adjust it by puting a sized case with no bullet into the die and turning the crimp knob down until you feel it stop on the case neck. That will be deep enough to just start a crimp with a bullet in place and swelling the neck diameter a little. You will then turn the top knob deeper to get addtional crimp, but not the die body.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 6, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4
mustang_52

the sig die is a little different from the straight wall dies. it doesnt have an adjustment knob on top. ill try again but ive tried everything all the way down so it cammed over and nothing.
Old November 6, 2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

I have the die and love it. One of the few FCD's I really like.

You have to cam it over a bunch. Like an 1/8" to 1/4" or so. Just start with a dummy round ready to be crimped. Raise the ram and screw the die down till it can't easily be turned. Now back the ram off an inch or so and screw the die down another 1/2 turn. Raise the ram, then lower it. Did you crimp yet? Probably not. repeat the process of 1/2 a turn till you start to crimp. Then go to 1/8 a turn till you get it right.

Trust me when I say you can ram the brass right into the bullet if you try to!