The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 28, 2013, 10:38 AM   #26
eastbank

i bought a used, all ss,(even the grip frame is ss) early.44 spl 3 inch unshrouded barrel with factory bobbed hammer in like new condition in the box with wooden grips for 225.00 OTD, a hard cast 225gr semi wadcutter at 750-800 fps is a close range stopper. and its only a few more oz,s than my S&W model 60 in .38spl. i,m sure the charter will not shoot 10,000 rounds of .44spl+p,s, but it has eaten several hundred 225,s at 750-800fps with out a hitch. when its to warm to wear a jacket or coat the charter is what i carry in a inside the pants holster with shirt tail pulled out. i don,t feel under gunned at all. eastbank.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:58 PM   #27
Chesster

Deaf, I use 7.5 Unique with that bullet for the "Skeeter" load in my Specials. For the Bulldog, I limit the load to 6.5 gr. which is still stout in the light frame woofer. I actually prefer a lighter bullet for the dog but the gun was designed when the only factory game in town was a 246gr RNL.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old May 7, 2013, 07:10 PM   #28
Jaywalker

As I recall, there was a problem with some/all of the early Bulldogs back in the 1970s with the bullets keyholeing (tumbling) in flight. I don't recall the details, but as I recall the NRA technical staff discovered the barrel was constricted by the frame during production. If an older piece shows this problem, I'm sure Charter would be interested in helping.

Last edited by Jaywalker; May 8, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 04:41 PM   #29
Kurt Pochert

Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm owner comments

New member of The Firing Line here:
I am the owner of a Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm, and have a guarded opinion of the company. I am a solid 9mm fan, as I have 7 different pieces and a .380 (9mm short, Kurtz). A genuine Ruger fan, GP-100, but intrigue took over on this one.
My Pitbull 9mm went to the factory twice. Once by the online store I purchased it from in Texas, as they found the only one in their stock with a locked up cylinder. They sent it in to Charter Arms and then sold it to me. The gun functioned as such, but had excessive cylinder-barrel gap and the barrel and sights, were terrible as Charter Arms torqued-screwed the barrel in excessively to the left (My perceived opinion) to allow the cylinder to latch in properly without locking up. Front sight tipped several degrees to the left as well as being way to tall.
I sent it in for the second trip. They paid for shipping both ways. Gun came back much better. It looks like the cylinder and the barrel were replaced. Gun does function very well now, with only one slight irritation that I think is a possible problem with all Charter Arms guns, and that is once in a while the gun locks as you pull the trigger slowly back to the point of almost dropping the hammer and it goes no further. Maybe once in 20-30 trigger pulls. Releasing the trigger resets things to fire the next round, but of course the previous round was not fired. Something hangs up in the firing mechanism, all be it rarely, to prevent the trigger being pulled the last 1/16 of an inch.
All in all, I do like the gun and it now works to my satisfaction except for the hang up described above. I will consider it a keeper though, considering the trouble acquiring it.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:15 PM   #30
Chesster

Welcome Kurt and thanks for the info.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old May 9, 2013, 08:38 AM   #31
subhuman

my LGS has a stainless bulldog for $379 that im drooling over and he stocks the 185 grn. hornady critical defense ammo $22 for a 20rnd box, im getting the dog but from my reading i would rather have a 200grn winchester silver tip. do any of you guys shoot the critical defense ammo and how do you like it ?
Old May 9, 2013, 02:50 PM   #32
the Black Spot

My '80's bulldog wont group the crit def stuff for nothing, groups all over the place. Now 5 gr of bullseye under a 240 xtp shoots 1" groups at 15 yds from a rest!