The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 26, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
chexmix

Harassed while shooting.

Two buddies and I went shooting on state land today. We shot a lot but everything we did was safe and legal. We walked back to our cars after we were done and the local PD was stopped next to our cars. They said there was a complaint that there were people shooting hundreds of rounds(bout right, there were 3 of us). They checked our ID's and everything cleared. When we looked at our cars someone had written "children with guns" with permanent marker on the windows and hoods.

Nothing will come of it because there is no proof who did it. Just a little reminder that there are people out there that will harass us.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Gary L. Griffiths

If I were you, I'd make a vandalism complaint with the PD whose officers talked with you. First suspect(s) would be complainant(s) who called them.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old October 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

Did you take pictures? I hope it came off ok. Might be a good idea to let the police know that someone vandalized your cars. They might be able to have a talk with whoever called, and most likely wrote on your cars.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
chexmix

We took pictures, and a report was filed....... in case it happens again.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:10 AM   #5
rebs

Its a shame some people have to act like children, writing on your car was so childish. You weren't breaking any laws or hurting anyone or anything, so why the complaint and why write on your car ? Just plain childish behavior.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Capt Rick Hiott

Lacquer thinner should take the marker off the paint.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Skadoosh

Quote:
Two buddies and I went shooting on state land today.
Quote:
someone had written "children with guns" with permanent marker on the windows and hoods
Just curious...how old are you and your shooting buddies?

The "children" part of the vandalism has me thinking that perhaps the culprit/s came close enough to lay eyes on you.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:58 AM   #8
rodent.22

Use lacquer thinner ONLY if the vehicle paint is Basecoat/ Clearcoat. A single stage auto paint (as on older cars) both lacquer and enamel will be damaged.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:40 AM   #9
chexmix

I'm 28 and my two buddies are 25, adults by law but some people at work still call me a kid, lol.

The marker came off easly from the windshield, a buffing wheel took it off the body.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:00 PM   #10
treg

Sometimes I feel like a kid when I am shooting.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:04 PM   #11
buck460XVR

Odds are there was someone else close by who was set-up to Bowhunt/Turkey hunt/small game hunt and he feels you ruined his day. His actions were much more childish than yours and his were also illegal. Seems to be the norm with some folks lately....... don't infringe on my space/rights, but get outta the way so I can ignore yours.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:19 PM   #12
ChasingWhitetail91

I'd go shooting again if i were you and set a trail cam looking at the vehicles and try and catch them in the act.
Old October 27, 2012, 02:41 PM   #13
federali

Too bad there are small minded people in the world.

I once accidentally used a regular magic marker on one of those erasable message boards. GooGone got it off.
Old October 27, 2012, 03:10 PM   #14
jmhyer

Oh, the irony. You are children with guns but they are not children with markers.
Old October 27, 2012, 03:32 PM   #15
wizrd

Writing my representatives tonight and requesting tougher 'permanent marker legislation'.
Old October 27, 2012, 05:36 PM   #16
hardworker

Is it bow season up there in Michigan?
Old October 27, 2012, 06:18 PM   #17
Patriot86

You have got to be a special kind of crazy to mess with armed people; seriously...what person in their right mind would vandalize the cars of people who are armed? File the report; maybe next time you go set up a game Camera with a view of the cars.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:12 PM   #18
Metal god

It really blows me away how stupid some people can be . Vandalizing someones car when they are out there shooting guns . ( UNBELIEVABLE ) It reminds me of when I see a small women confront a 6'5" 260lb stranger cuss he did something dumb thats none of her business . both of these situations could get out of control real fast . They don't know who there confronting . They could be real screwed up in the head . damn tree hugers .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 27, 2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Corrections Cop

It is Bow season up here in Michigan. You probably disturbed some liberals on a nature walk if you were shooting around Ann Arbor. Surprised the DNR didn't show up being you were on state land.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:34 PM   #20
hardworker

If it's bow season you probably made a mess of someone's hunt. Not saying they were right to mess with your car, but they were understandably angry.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:48 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworker
If it's bow season you probably made a mess of someone's hunt. Not saying they were right to mess with your car, but they were understandably angry.
On public land? It's pretty wrongheaded to be angry that someone else is using land that they have as much right to use as you do. It might be frustrating, but if the shooting is legal they've got every bit as much right to be using the land as the bow hunters.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:17 PM   #22
ljnowell

Quote:
On public land? It's pretty wrongheaded to be angry that someone else is using land that they have as much right to use as you do. It might be frustrating, but if the shooting is legal they've got every bit as much right to be using the land as the bow hunters.
I am not saying that you are wrong in any way, let me get that out there first. Its common around my parts though, that when deer season starts you dont shoot on public land. You shoot on private land where no one is hunting or you use a private or public range.

Its a two fold thing really. First, it sucks to only be able to hit the woods one a week to hunt and have someone burning up ammo. No that they arent within their rights, but it sucks. Second, it could be a matter of safety. In a lot of places where people shoot on public land there arent formal backstops. In these areas there could be people hunting in the same woods/area. It can be dangerous.

None of those things justifies vandalizing anothers property.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:17 PM   #23
4runnerman

The idea with the trail cam is a great one. Im 51 and if anyone wants to call me a kid--- Man they will be my new best friend. Any how-Try the trail cam thing.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:48 PM   #24
chadio

Part of the reason that I like my local rifle club, is that people aren't allowed to just go and do mag dumps. However, I wouldn't want to infringe on anyone's right to do that, on public land, providing that it isn't a safety risk.

Some people believe that firearms are meant to be used for certain things:

-hunting
-law enforcement / military
-marksmanship / sport shooting
-self / family defense
-investment
-heating up a barrel and making noise

Usually, a little bit of "keeping the peace" - being aware of the laws and your surroundings, and being respectful of others - goes a long way
Old October 27, 2012, 11:04 PM   #25
8MM Mauser

Last year a buddy and I found a nice little spot on some public land with a perfect hill and miles from any houses according to google maps. Only about a fifty yard field but fine to mess around in and fairly close to home. We shot there for an afternoon, didn't see a soul. Came back two weeks later and found the DNR had posted a "no target shooting" sign in the interim, guess someone saw us and decides they didn't like it, and I guess the local DNR was sympathetic despite the fact that it was perfectly legal shooting.

I've had some frustrating experiences on public land here in Michigan... And being 25 myself i always get rolling eyes and condescending looks at the local clubs from the old hats...So I hear you brother.