The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 14, 2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Robinson

T/C .410 pistol

Anyone have one of these? From what I get it does have removable choke tubes, but my question is does it make it a legite 25-30 yard rabbit gun. I wish they had this in 20 gauge.
Old January 14, 2007, 04:46 PM   #2
steveno

the tube is used to straighten out the pattern after the rifling. using 3 inch shells it is a 25 yard rabbit gun. I think that #5 shot works best in mine if you can find that size anymore. if not use #6 shot as #4's don't pattern very well
Old January 24, 2007, 01:47 AM   #3
jrothWA

Have the .45LC/.410 barrel for my T/C..

and the 3" .410 will do nicely on the skeet field, both incoming and away birds.
May not want to strech the range too far.
Old February 9, 2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Bailey Boat

The old TC jobs with the choke tubes were the cats pajamas, but their scarce now days. I have substituted my S&W 696 44 special and Speer shot capsules with #9 shot. I still get the velocity and the 1/2 ounce payload but my "range" is limited to #1, 2, 6 and 7 on a skeet field. #8 is a blast since they are closer, but moving very fast.....
Old February 11, 2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Robinson

I bought it

I was surprised of the good patterns I was getting with this gun. Like a previous posted said the choke(which is 6 deep straight grooves) does indeed stabilize the shot. At 30 yards using 3" remington express long range #7 1/2 I was putting about 15-20 hits in about an 8 inch circle. Recoil wasn't bad, the grip on this thing is huge.
Old February 11, 2007, 04:29 PM   #6
rem33

Quote:
The old TC jobs with the choke tubes were the cats pajamas, but their scarce now days
They can be found often on ebay but they bring a good price sometimes. I got lucky and got mine frame and all at a gun show for about $50 more than the frames are bringing in Gun Borker. Sometimes get lucky.
Old February 18, 2007, 04:29 PM   #7
dfridenstine

Enveous

Looks like a couple of you have the experience with the T/C .410 that I long for. I recently purchased a used T/C Contender in .410. While I am proficent with a pistol, I am horrible on a skeet field with a shot gun. Right handed and have a strong left eye domanance.

The T/C I purchased appears to be in very good condition and it does have a choke tube. Unfortunately, it came sans removal tool or owner's manual. The barrel is of the 10" variety. And that brings me to my question.

It would appear that some of you have had success connecting with a clay pigeon using a T/C. What lenght of barral are you using? Are you using a 14" barrel? What type of sights are you using? Adjustable iron sights or bead sights?

What kind of .410 ammo are you using? 2 1/2", 2 3/4" or 3"? Are you using steel shot, lead shot, or bismuth? I would imagine cleaning the T/C after shooting lead would be a real pain.

If you would share your experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

DVC,

David
Old March 1, 2007, 12:57 AM   #8
jrothWA

Hello Dave,

Am using 1978 era T/C with 10" Octagon barrel.
Have shot skeet with shotgun and fairly successful, tried the .45LC /.410
barrel using some old paper Federal hunting loads. It was interesting but the original grip wasn't pleasurable.

Have a recoil tamer on it now but haven't had chance to get to range.
A fellow skeeter had more hits on the various house than I, it just take practice.
Hope this help.
Old March 2, 2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Yellowfin

How much do these cost? I would love to have one as a snake gun while turkey hunting. I once saw someone carrying a Dixie Gun Works .410 revolver while quail hunting, and he shot a couple of birds with it!
Old March 2, 2007, 07:06 PM   #10
steveno

make sure you check your game laws to see if it is ok to shoot pheasants , quail and turkeys with a handgun. in Nebraska it is ok for rabbits but not upland game
Old March 2, 2007, 07:54 PM   #11
Robinson

yellowfin

The prices of these guns can vary greatly. I traveled to at least 10 gun stores in two states. Prices range from 500 to 600 for the blued models with wood grips. Used ones were going for 350-800, I guess the older ones that first came out sell for more. I just realized that the vent rib and rear sight is plastic!! yuck Stay away from fiocchi ammo I was getting split brass that made the gun hard to eject.
Old March 3, 2007, 04:35 AM   #12
steveno

I got a 10 inch vent rib 410 barrel when they first came out. it has a elevation adjustable blade front sight and a windage adjustable rear sight. both are metal. I think I paid $100 for the barrel
Old March 3, 2007, 02:30 PM   #13
Yellowfin

Oh, to clarify carrying a pistol for turkey hunting isn't for shooting at the turkeys, but for snakes, coyotes, and foxes (or a hog on freak chance, which might have me carrying a .44 or .45LC) that might come looking to bite while i'm sitting down or have the shotgun slung over my shoulder and/or unloaded, or if i'm just calling for someone else who is shooting. Does anyone have something specific for this application?
Old March 3, 2007, 03:35 PM   #14
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
T/c .410

Years ago I traded for a T/C in .45/.410. The 8 inch barrel had a removable choke tube for the .410.

In the .410 configuration the pistol was totally useless. At 25 feet, it would only put 1 or 2 #6 pellets in a paper plate target. At 3 feet the "pattern" was already over 8" in diameter.

Maybe they have improved the later models. BTW T/C has outstanding customer service.