The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 9, 2014, 03:56 AM   #1
bspillman

Single action 22 recommendations

I have around 125 bucks to spend. So what are my options in this category? I will just use it for plinking and teaching my kids how to shoot and about firearm safety. Thanks.
Old July 9, 2014, 04:27 AM   #2
silvermane_1

well a used Heritage Rough Rider would probably be your best bet for that price range, or if you can find a deal on a new one, and i think they come with an extra 22WMR cylinder if they are NIB.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old July 9, 2014, 04:29 AM   #3
kajvid

Heritage Rough Rider? You might have to cough up another $10-20 for a new one. That about all I can come up with. I shot one recently and was surprised. The guy had done a trigger job and it was a pretty smooth pull. I was in the market but I was looking for a "bit more".

I just picked this up on Monday. It was a "bit more" than $150!

Old July 9, 2014, 04:41 AM   #4
CajunBass

I suppose there are places where Heritage Rough Riders sell for something close to that price. People keep saying they pay less for them, but around here they seem to go for over $200.00. Even used they seem to bring about $175.00.

I don't know the last time I saw anything for much less than that. I bought an old Hawes Sixshooter from the 60's a week or so ago that was tagged at $200.00. I paid less, but still was more than $125.00.

Maybe some of the old Harrington & Richardson revolvers...
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 9, 2014, 05:08 AM   #5
silvermane_1

wow, that's a nice looking Hawes 22 there Cajun Bass.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old July 9, 2014, 08:52 AM   #6
aarondhgraham

163.00 or 167.00 at Budsgunshop

It depends on whether you want a 4.5" or 6.5" barrel,,,

The 6.5 is $163.00,,,
The 4.5 is $167.00.

I bought one of the 4.5" versions for a graduation gift,,,
It shoots just fine and balances nicely,,,
Well worth the small price tag.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 9, 2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Venom1956

Its getting harder and harder to recommend the RR as its price has been increasing. Especially when a nice used New model Single Six could be had for just a bit more. 50-100 depending the RR price and how long you shop around.

IMO save up that little bit more. When your childrens children get their first taste of shooting of the pistol 'grandpa gave them as a child' will make it totally worth it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 9, 2014, 10:58 AM   #8
Clark

I got this one for $100 last year at a gunshow.
My friends are not impressed with my purchase.
Yes it is an ok gun, but my social status has been destroyed.

Link below same as pic above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIE 22 revolver ask $150 paid $100 gunshow b 9-14-2013.jpg (70.1 KB, 281 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 9, 2014, 11:52 AM   #9
jtmckinney

I picked up a used fixed sight Rough Rider a couple years ago for $125. I thought it was a good deal at the time and I still think so. The ones I see at the LGS's I frequent have a price tag a little over $200 new, maybe another $20 for an adjustable sight one.

I am not out looking every day like some folks but I havn't seen a deal like it since. Mine hasn't been shot since I purchased a Single Six, but why sell it when I can keep it and pass it to a grandkid someday.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old July 9, 2014, 12:50 PM   #10
22-rimfire

Not many choices unless you find a beat up used single action 22 revolver by chance. The Rough Rider is the least expensive 22 revolver that I am aware of. They aren't the greatest, but they work.

My suggestion is that you keep your eyes open locally and bid on things listed on the online auctions and see how it goes. But in the mean time, I suggest you save up a bit more money.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Especially when a nice used New model Single Six could be had for just a bit more. 50-100 depending the RR price and how long you shop around.
Considering the OP is probably on a tight budget for this purchase I wouldn't think of 25 to 50 percent "just a bit" more.

RR is a great gun for the money. Not the fine fit, and finish of higher priced guns. Also some people don't like the alloy used for the frame. I can only speak from my experience with my 6 1/2", fixed sight 22/22Mag Rough Rider. It has given me excellent service, and is accurate enough to knock over plenty of beverage cans at 25 yards in addition to ruining the day for a couple bushytails.
A 3 3/4" birds head grip model is now on my short list.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 10, 2014, 10:20 AM   #12
steelbird

Saw some RR's at the Orlando gun show going for $150. If you can wait, and are willing to fight the crowds, Academy has been selling them for $99 on Black Friday - but there's no guarantee they'll do that again this year.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:45 AM   #13
2ndsojourn

I cant comment on the quality but Chiappas go for less than $200 new. If you look around you may find a used one in your budget.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=427232808
Old July 10, 2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Venom1956

Quote:
Considering the OP is probably on a tight budget for this purchase I wouldn't think of 25 to 50 percent "just a bit" more.
Meh spending 100 dollars at the gas station isn't very hard nowadays.I'd be surprised someone couldn't tighten their belt for a month and get a superior firearm.

Again Its just merely my opinion. idc which way he chooses but this thread is called 'single action 22 recommendations' I just submitted mine. Heirloom or paperweight for a month of change? Seems like a no brainer. when they were sub 100 dollars making a SS three times the price yeah it made sense. Now not so much.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 10, 2014, 07:57 PM   #15
smee78

If it was something I was going to teach and pass on down to my kids later I would save up a little more and find a good used Ruger Single Six. I think it would be a better over all gun and it has adjustable sights so you can fine tune it.
Old July 11, 2014, 10:09 PM   #16
bspillman

No it's not going to be handed down or anything like that. I have nicer 22s. My 14 year old is wanting to learn single action. It's like the first car, you know the one that will get torn up learning how to take care of it. Then I can move her to a nicer one.
Old July 12, 2014, 09:38 AM   #17
jtmckinney

Quote:
It's like the first car, you know the one that will get torn up learning how to take care of it.
Cannot say I agree with this. Firearms are not cars.

I also think of this like giving a youngster a guitar that a professionlal musician could not make sound good hoping they will find some musical tallent.

The Rough Rider I posted about had to have tweeking to the front site before it was accurate enough to be enjoyable to shoot. Not a slam on the gun, I actually enjoy that kind of thing.

Hope you find something in your price range. You might try some WTB (want to buy) postings on this and other sites that have buy sell forums. I also hear about Facebook but I don't go there. I don't see these in the gun stores I frequent that sell used guns. Maybe the owners don't want them as an option to a more expensive gun they would rather sell.

Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old July 14, 2014, 02:33 PM   #18
glenncal1

My suggestion would be to save a few more $$ and get a Ruger Single Six (doesn't need to be a commemorative). You can teach your kids to shoot it. They can teach their kidz to shoot it and your great-grandkids will have fun with it too given reasonable care.

Many K and N Frames
Old July 14, 2014, 04:45 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
No it's not going to be handed down or anything like that. I have nicer 22s. My 14 year old is wanting to learn single action. It's like the first car, you know the one that will get torn up learning how to take care of it. Then I can move her to a nicer one.
And you will most likely find that contrary to the belief of some, she'll still have, and shoot the Rough Rider after she steps up to something more costly.

BTW, at a gun show this past weekend the going price on new, in the box Rough Riders was around $170.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 15, 2014, 04:35 PM   #20
ZVP

Chiappa's SUCK!
bought one new for $185, it lasted LESS than 100 rounds and the guts jammed up and the cylinder won't turn!
When I picked it up, I couldn't believe that it was some kind of potmetal!. It never ran smooth and wouldn't shoot tighter than 2"@ 21 ft!
Pure junk!
I don't know why I bought it other than it was as large as a peacemaker, I have a Single Six and should've bought a used one!
The Chiappias are lined cylinders and barrels and all the rewt is pormetal!
Save and buy a used ruger!
ZVP
Old July 15, 2014, 05:46 PM   #21
deputy tom

Save up for a Ruger Single Six. You won't be disappointed. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old July 15, 2014, 07:59 PM   #22
Bezoar

well i have to agree with something, the only thing right in this thread.

you cant buy a gun on the premise its going to get beat up. all guns will take wear and tear, its just natural. but to say "hey, i know my kids gonna beat the crap out of it because its a beginner gun until i replace it with somethin nicer" is just crap.

i think thats why its so easy to get early issues with certain makes of revolver/handgun. someone spends 900 on a colt or ruger or smith, they are going to BABY it. spend 320 on a charter snub, your not normally going to think twice about dropping it on the driveway three times in a row, and then spending 3 years denouncing the brand because "the sight just fell off"

the thing that needs to be said, the 22 is like the .410 of handguns, it can do things, but it takes finesse to do so. you can drop a coyote at 50 yards with a 4 5/8' 22 lr but youll need really good placement in the head.

at 50 yards, your 4 5/8" barreled 38 spcl or 357 can put a really nice size hole through both shoulders and the lungs.... i read a shooting times? article on how a wadcutter at that range loaded max pressure can drop a coyote like that.
Old July 19, 2014, 08:24 AM   #23
roaddog28

Don't waste your money on cheap single action revolvers. For around $250 to $300 you can find Ruger Single Sixes. You will have more fun and so will your kids.
Good luck,
Howard
Old July 19, 2014, 08:46 AM   #24
rebs

I agree with roaddog, save a little more and get a decent 22, you and your daughter will enjoy it more and have more fun with it. Not in your price range but I bought a Ruger Bearcat and love it. You can't go wrong with a Ruger
Old July 19, 2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Real Gun

At that price, I would make a list of pawn shops in the area and shop around.