The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 30, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
beretta32

LTC in Cambridge MA

I completed a firearms safety class at the MFS range/club in Holliston. It was a great class. I want to get a Class A LTC, but I live in.... Cambridge. One of the toughest towns. I need two letters from non-family members and have to apply (and answer questions) in person.

The instructor, who seemed very knowledgeable and helpful, said that the best thing to do is be as specific as possible about why I want the class A. In other words, "all lawful purposes" probably won't work. It's going to have restrictions. Does this sound right? What if I stand my ground on 2nd amendment rights? I'm guessing that in Cambridge, this isn't going to work.

Questions: If I get a class A with restrictions - i.e., to use for practice at the range or for hunting - it's good for six years. If I move to a new town that has a more relaxed PD in a year or two, does that mean I can't get a new license without restrictions? I have to wait until my existing license expires? Also, suppose I get a class A with restrictions, and someone breaks into my house, threatens me, and I use my weapon in self-defense. Have I violated the law?

Please, no "move to a new town, move to a new state, etc." That doesn't solve my current problem. I realize that is the better long-term solution.

Thanks.
Old July 30, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
FlyFish

I spent most of my life in Massachusetts before moving up to gun-friendly New Hampshire. The two best pieces of advice I can give you:

1. Move to a new town, move to a new state, etc. (Just kidding, couldn't resist.)

2. Repost your question over at northeastshooters.com, where you'll find many knowledgeable Mass residents, including attorneys specializing in firearms law, and also some individuals who overlap with Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc., an organization that's trying to make things better for gun owners in MA, which is a lot like pushing a rope but they're fighting the good fight anyway.

With regard to your current situation, you're correct that you're not likely to get an unrestricted Class A in Cambridge without some really pressing "need", which it sounds like you don't really have. You'll probably have to jump through some hoops to get even the restricted Class A, and the letters of reference and interview don't qualify as "hoops" - many towns require both, even towns that are pretty good about issuing LTCs. You'll get nowhere by invoking your 2nd Amendment rights - the pols in Massachusetts stay up at night thinking of new ways to insult the Constitution and they've become very good at it.

IANAL, but my understanding regarding moving to a gun-friendly town and then getting your Class A unrestricted is that the original restricted LTC has to be voided first by, in this case, the Cambridge CLEO. I don't know how difficult that might be, but I can't imagine they'd be interested in doing you any favors. Otherwise you have to wait until the expiration date.

Again, IANAL, but my understanding on the break-in question is that Massachusetts law allows you to use deadly force to protect yourself in your own home, regardless of the type of license you hold, as long as the weapon in question was legally possessed. There's more information on this ("this" being the Massachusetts Castle Doctrine) available at the GOAL home page and also at the web sites I mentioned above.
Old August 3, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
beretta32

Thanks

Hi Flyfish - hey that is really good information and advice. I appreciate it very much. I think I just might have to move to the new town. Maybe in NH.

Thanks again and happy fishing.