The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Hundy

.223 and 5.56mm reloading

Sorry to even bring this up, but I am confused. I reload 38spec, 357mag, and 45ACP. A friend of mine I work with has 5.56mm cartridges he wants to reolad. I told him if he gets the Dies for it I would help him out.
I know .223 is 5.56mm. I was under the impression that both use .223 bullets, but that the cartridges may be slightly different. So if that is the case, can a .223 Die work on a 5.56mm cartridge? I use RCBS reloader and dies.
The 5,56mm is for my friends AR. He stated he has only fired cartridges that said 5.56mm on them, never .223. The more I read about it, the more confused I get.
One other thing, are all 5.56mm primers crimped? or just the ones the military uses.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jay
Old March 1, 2013, 06:08 PM   #2
boostedtt91

yes they both use the same bullet and same everything for each. Most all .223/5.56 ammo you'll find has a crimped primer. Remington seems to be the only one i have found that doesn't.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:48 PM   #3
oldpapps

To see the exact standards for both the chambers and cases/loads, GOOGLE SAAMI.

A few other items. The bullets used are (jacketed) .224 not .223.

Brass preparation for military brass 5.56 includes checking for 'crimped' primers. It is also advisable to check case length.

Others worry about differing pressures obtained when firing out of the two differing chambers. I don't. I load for 'A' single weapon and have no concerns. Normally, it is much better to fire loads developed for the 5.56 in chambers of the same. The .223 can be fired in both.

Load with care.

OSOK
Old March 1, 2013, 11:28 PM   #4
j357

Hundy, I am glad you are trying to help your friend, but want to tell you to slow down with your desire to do so.

The number of questions and various incomplete data you include in your post are an indicator that you need to do more research before expanding into loading this round, much less loading for a friend. You may be covering way too much ground in a short period.

First and foremost you cant simply consider that the 5.56 and 2.23 are the same. They do both use a .224 bullet. Then you need to consider the weapon in question and its chambering. Is your friend's AR a true 5.56 chamber? What is the barrel twist rate of said rifle? Finally, what are your goals with the loads?

The following article is interesting and will give you a good set of questions to work from. http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/ This link will give you some recent discussion here that I found useful http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...+reload+powder

Spend another few days doing research. Trust me, you will be weeks ahead of the game when you put together enough personal research to answer some of the questions yourself.

Last edited by j357; March 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:49 PM   #5
zxcvbob

.223 and 5.56 use exactly the same brass and dies. 5.56 is loaded to a little higher pressure (but it's hard to compare them because they are measured differently) and 5.56 chambers are cut a little more generously in the leade.

SAAMI says shooting the higher-pressure 5.56 in the shorter .223 chambers (which makes the pressure even higher) is dangerous. I think that's a good rule of thumb but it probably depends on the bullets. Ruger barrels are stamped ".223 Remington", but the owners manuals say they are fine with 5.56 ammo *except* for the target models.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:17 AM   #6
NWPilgrim

.223 and 5.56mm reloading

.223 and 5.56x45 have the same bullet diameter of .224", same case dimensions and same Max COL of 2.260". .223 uses a SAAMI max pressure of 55,000 psi and 5.56 uses max pressure of just over 62,000 psi. Most reloading books give data for the .223 pressure levels. However , Hornady 9th edition has a new section for the 5.56 pressure levels, too.

You only get maybe another 150 fps for the additional pressures. So even if your friend has a rifle chambered for 5.56x45 NATO, I would stick with the .223 load data to start with. All of my most accurate loads are at or below the .223 max.

Most .223 brass will need to have the primer pocket swaged to get rid of the primer crimp. Dillon and RCBS make tools for this. If used in a semi-auto you want to get full length sizing die set. I do not use small base dies and have never had a problem with chambering any cartridges.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Hundy

Thank you

Hey Fella's thank you for your imput. I do appreciate it. Funny thing is I just checked this today, (Saturday) and all day yesterday both my friend and myself were off work. So we spent most of the day researching this topic.
I understand now what everyone means here. There is a-lot more for us to learn. We still plan on reloading, but not anytime soon, we are going to continue to educate ourselves on the subject. Rest assured, it will be awhile anyway, The Dies, primers, bullets and powder are hard to get right now anyway.

I learned so much yesterday, I had to break down last night and open a bottle of scotch, so I can slow down my thoughts and sleep.

Thanks agian for all the imput

Jay
Old March 3, 2013, 10:13 PM   #8
brokenanew

This is defiantly the hobby for the OCD. This coming from a therapist...
Old March 3, 2013, 10:17 PM   #9
medalguy

Hey Hundy, if you need any help, give me a call, I'll be glad to help with the scotch. Heck, I might even be able to help with the reloading later.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Hundy

I may do that

I may give you a call. I have not been able to log on to this site for a while, I am out of town taking a class. Be home tonight after a week, and will continue the OCD journey into this new skill. Again plan to take it slow and learn and see where that takes me.

Jay

PS I will be sure to get a new bottle when I get home