The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 10, 2005, 02:39 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Can you carry any kind of gun you qualify for in all states?

In Texas you can quality for either a revolver or both a semi auto or a revolver both. I took semi auto even though I prefer a revolver I like to have the option to carry an auto if I ever need to.
HOwever, I've heard it suggested that there are some guns both revolver and autos that you are not allowed to carry?
To what extent?
Where?
Old August 10, 2005, 02:50 PM   #2
joab

No restrictions or stipulations in Fla.
A weapon is a weapon
Old August 10, 2005, 03:20 PM   #3
rellascout

Check http://www.packing.org

It differs by state. In VA there is no stipulation as to what handgun you can carry. The CHP is for handguns only and goes not apply to knifes or other weapons.

Rellascout
Old August 10, 2005, 05:09 PM   #4
Garand Guy

In Michigan it does not matter. All the state cares is that you can safely handle a firearm.

There were four people in my CCW Class. Three of us had either a 357 Mag. or a 38 Spl. The lone exception had a Browning Hi-Power .22.

Go through training with a .22, carry the big bad .500 Mag. and no one will care.
Old August 10, 2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Pamato

restrictions in NC

Our CCL in NC is for handguns only, also. You do not have to qualify with your carry choice as far as I can remember.
17 yr old GP-100
7 Wonderful Children
Old August 10, 2005, 08:26 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

That's a very good question, and the answer is more far-reaching than you might expect.

If you are travelling in a state which recognizes your permit it's important to remember that your permit does NOT give you any rights that a permit holder of that state doesn't have.

For example. On Sept. 1. it will be possible for some TX citizens under the age of 21 to apply for and receive CHLs. If they try to carry in a state where handgun permit holders must be 21 or older, THEY WILL BE BREAKING THE LAW.

IMO, the wise thing to do is to obey all the pertinent laws in BOTH the issuing state and the state in which you're carrying. Even if you might be within the law of the current state, making sure you comply with both prevents problems when you cross the border. And, I suppose it's theoretically possible that in case of a shooting (out of your home state), it might be thought pertinent and damaging to your defense that you were engaging in an activity that your issuing state considers illegal.

For example. If your TX permit only allows you to carry a revolver, I'd carry a revolver EVEN if you're in a state where permits do not specify the type of gun you can carry. I just think it's smart.
Old August 10, 2005, 08:37 PM   #7
MountainJoe

In TN you do not have to qualify with the same weapon or caliber that you wish to carry. You can qualify with a .22 and carry a .44 Magnum if you want. Deadly force is deadly force.
Old August 10, 2005, 09:06 PM   #8
MilitantBob

Quote:
For example. On Sept. 1. it will be possible for some TX citizens under the age of 21 to apply for and receive CHLs.
Are you sure?

I know on Sept. 1 here in Texas anyone who can legally own a handgun will be allowed to conceal carry it in their car with or without a CHL, but I think it only applies to the car.

Can somebody else clear this up a bit? Will I be able to get a CHL on sept. 1? Or just carry unlicensed and legal in my car?

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.
Old August 10, 2005, 09:59 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

During this SINGLE legislative session, the Texas Legislature, with the help of the Texas State Rifle Association, passed 9 (NINE!) pro-gun/pro-hunting laws/amendments.

The one you're talking about is one of the 9. Another one of the nine changes the law so that active or retired military 18 or over are now eligible.

So if you're active or retired military and over 18, your age will not disqualify you from CHL eligibility after 1 September.

BTW, did you Texans know that the TSRA has only 36,000 members? There are nearly a QUARTER OF A MILLION CHL holders, and every one of them owes the TSRA for what it's done--not only in helping to pass the original bill, but also for their tireless work in amending the CHL law to make it more gun-owner friendly.

You can go here to learn more about TSRA and about the laws they helped pass during this legislative session.

http://www.tsra.com/

(Ok, that's my soap-box for today.)
Old August 10, 2005, 11:01 PM   #10
Garand Illusion

Like many other states, in Colorado you aren't restricted to what gun you carry as long as it's a pistol by definition (can't carry a concealed Garand).

Only hand guns, though -- still doesn't give you permission to carry a concealed knife or black jack, etc.
Old August 10, 2005, 11:08 PM   #11
CyberSEAL

Not only can you carry any handgun you want in VA, you can carry as many sa you'd like too. I could wear 6 large frame autos under my trenchcoat, just like NEO, if I wanted to... =)
Old August 11, 2005, 10:01 AM   #12
Doug.38PR

what prompted my question was that yesterday I was reading on another thread of a different subject a person from kansas mentioning that they could not carry a colt revolver but were limited by their license to either glocks or S&W revolvers.
I carry a colt, so if I go to say Kansas, am I in trouble.
Old August 11, 2005, 07:20 PM   #13
Garand Illusion

Quote:
I carry a colt, so if I go to say Kansas, am I in trouble.
You're in trouble no matter what you carry. Kansas is an anti-gun state with no "shall issue."

The main 2 reasons I hate Kansas:

1. Long, flat, and boring to drive through.
2. Seems like I drive through this hellishly long and boring state whenever I go anywhere, and they insist I be unarmed the whole way.
Old August 13, 2005, 01:17 AM   #14
Sulaco2

Any gun you want in WA just as long as your CWP is valid. Unfortunately WA does NOT accept CWP's from all other states, check before you travel here.
Old August 13, 2005, 06:46 PM   #15
Kamicosmos

MO has no restrictions of that type.

Now, in the training requirements, you do have to show profiecency with both revolver and automatics. That just means during the 50 round 'practice' session, you have to shoot both types of guns. But there is no particular type of catagory qualification or something on the permit itself. Gun's a gun when it comes to that.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old August 16, 2005, 06:07 PM   #16
dwgspanky

In Arkansas...

In Arkansas if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver (restricted license). If you qualify with an automatic, you can carry an automatic or a revolver (unrestricted).
Old August 16, 2005, 10:04 PM   #17
Doug.38PR

Quote:
In Arkansas if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver (restricted license). If you qualify with an automatic, you can carry an automatic or a revolver (unrestricted).
that's how it is here in Texas too.
Old August 17, 2005, 06:17 AM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
So if you're active or retired military and over 18, your age will not disqualify you from CHL eligibility after 1 September.

BTW, did you Texans know that the TSRA has only 36,000 members? There are nearly a QUARTER OF A MILLION CHL holders, and every one of them owes the TSRA for what it's done--not only in helping to pass the original bill, but also for their tireless work in amending the CHL law to make it more gun-owner friendly.

You can go here to learn more about TSRA and about the laws they helped pass during this legislative session.

http://www.tsra.com/
And yet I can't seem to find this particlar law on the TSRA site explaining soldiers under age of 21 won't be disqualified from having a CHL.
Old August 17, 2005, 08:52 AM   #19
BillCA

Some juristictions specify that you can carry "a handgun", others specify that you qualify with a wheelgun or semiauto pistol or both. Still others, like Nevada, record the model of the firearm with which you're qualified. More restrictive states will require a serial number for each firearm.

It's best to know what your local state laws are and the laws of any state that honors your state's permit.

Regarding the Kansas question -- the Kansas resident probably has a permit on which the make (and likely model) of firearm is listed. In that case, if his permit lists a Glock 19, S&W 66 and a S&W 36 he's limited to those guns only and can't carry a Colt, Sig, HK, or even a S&W Model 10. If Kansas recognizes your state's permit, then whatever is permitted on your license "should be" okay. Best to check with packing.org or the Kansas state attorney general's office first.

Special note:
If you're planning on travelling to another state who's laws seem murky, contact their state attorney general's office in writing and ask specific questions. Get their response in writing and keep it with you when travelling in that state. In the event of contact with the authorities it may save you a lot of grief.
Old August 17, 2005, 09:51 AM   #20
jacobtowne

Isn't Kansas a no-issue state where concealed carry is prohibited altogether, or am I thinking of another state?
There are no qualification requirements or restrictions in Massachusetts under state law. Unfortunately, issuance of licenses is left to the discretion of local cops, so some towns have such qualification requirements.
JT
Old August 17, 2005, 11:34 AM   #21
Eghad

Even though a state has reciprocity with Texas on CCW. The state law for those other states still apply.

NRA Life Member
Old August 17, 2005, 10:18 PM   #22
JohnKSa
Staff

Double Naught Spy,

It's there, but I forgot you technically have to be a member to download the Sportsman in pdf format. The current issue has the information about the laws passed. Here's a quote from the article in question.
Quote:
Rep. Hupp’s bill also lowered the CHL age
for active and veteran military to obtain a
CHL from 21 to 18. I just looked at the
DPS website. Take a look for yourself at
the demographics by age for Texas CHLs.
It’s interesting to know that there are 262
CHLs who are 21 years of age out of a
quarter of a million. Also, it’s interesting
to note that only one has ever had their
license suspended, one has had his or
her license denied and no 21 year old
Texan has had their license revoked. The
statistics for this age group is remarkably
lower than for older Texans.
Another question that’s come up from
members is what impact does lowering the
age requirement for military have on CHL
reciprocity? None! And this was
researched before Rep. Hupp’s bill was
filed. When a Texas CHL goes to another
state they abide by that state’s laws.
Military, active or veteran, under the age
of 21, who want and qualify for a CHL will
have a license with a picture in profile and
their license will be good only in states
that offer a concealed handgun license
to folks under 21. At present, only a
handful of states (Montana, South
Dakota, and Alabama among them) offer
licenses to those under 21 years of age.