The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 11, 2014, 10:21 PM   #26
Colorado Redneck

Brian--The 39 BK is a great bullet for a .204. They are accurate, have a good BC and hit hard at a long distance. I shot a coyote last fall at a fair distance--maybe 125 yards--can't recall how far. The 39 gr. BK entered the critter in the ribs and didn't exit. Coyote went into the "death spiral" thingie and then fell over dead.

The first .204 Ruger I had loved the 35 gr. Berger bullets best. They would shred prairie dogs as good as the BK's in my opinion. And were super accurate out of that gun.

I agree about not burning up the barrel if you like the gun. Super velocities are kind of like fast cars--they just cause trouble.

Great to hear you had a fun day. Hope you get some more like this one!
Old July 16, 2014, 06:23 AM   #27
Picher

I used to love hunting chucks in fields, but now they're mostly in the woods, on golf courses, and along controlled-access highways. The combination of hunting pressure, coyotes, and farmer poisoning, are probably responsible.

We started hunting chucks while we were teenagers, as practice for deer hunting. I used a Savage 110, 30-06, with a 2.5x Weaver scope. I averaged 220 yards for the 15 or so chucks I killed that spring.
Old July 16, 2014, 07:17 AM   #28
kayakersteve

Mostly gone here...

As a teenager in western NY, the grape farmers paid me to shoot the woodchucks. Got $1.00 per tail. Some days were very profitable. Nowadays, I take my son out in the same areas and we are lucky to see one or two woodchucks after a lot of walking. Always been told it was due to coyotes, but never knew why for sure.