The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 27, 2000, 06:38 PM   #1
dgang

Having for some time now been shooting revolvers and small caliber semi-autos I decided I wanted to participate in some kind of handgun contests, so I went out and bought a Glock in .40 S&W ( in order to make the major power class). Before I enter any competion I want to practice so as not to make a complete fool out of myself. I got some used pins from a local bowling alley and am ready to do some shooting.
My questions are these;#1. At what yardage should I practice in order to simulate actual competion? #2 Does the weight of the bullet make that much difference? Should I be shooting 180, 165, or 155 loads? I assume FMJ/FP hardball is the accepted bullet.#3Did I just get lucky getting a case of used pins for free or should I be prepared to pay for the pins in the future? If so, what is the going rate for used pins. Any help or ideas will be appriciated. Thanks in advance, dgang
Old November 29, 2000, 08:46 AM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Don't know about prices as my club has a whole trailer filled with bowling pins. I like bowling pins cause they are challenging and you can see instantly your results. You did not say what kinda competition. But I set my (pins) up at 33 ft away. Why? Cause the glock plate rack at GSSF matches is 33 feet away. My feeling is if I can hit the pins , I should be okay with the plate rack (8" circles). GSSF other targets are also set at varying distances. Glock "M" is set at 10, 15 and 20 yards. Glock 5 to 7 , the farthest target is 25 yards. When I practice, I mostly practice on this shot (25 yards), as it is my weakest. IDPA targets are closer, but also vary.
Old December 19, 2000, 03:14 PM   #3
faiello5

Most pin shoots are at 25 feet. In uncompensated guns, the heavier the bullet the better. Hollowpoint is better than ball, but obviously much more expensive. Only you can decide if the added expense is worth the somewhat better performance. A stock .40 will work, but you will get better results with a .45. Pinshoots are a lot of fun, enjoy!

Regards,
Frank