The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1
scooter-2

small shotgun primers in small pistol?

i have reloaded for 25 years. ihave heard of using small shotgun primers in place of spp. i am curious if anyone has done this, and any comments about the subject. i would like pro and negative comments if possible. this is just for curiosity reasons. thanks. scooter-2
Old February 25, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Shootest

I never heard of a small shotgun primer. Unless you speak of the old Remington type I think they were # 57 if memory serves, they would never fit into a SPP pocket. If you meant to say a small rifle primer in place of a small pistol primer, it can be done but you might have problems with light hammer falls/fireing pin strikes.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Pongo

I don't believe there is such a thing as a small shotgun primer.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:04 PM   #4
david_r

shotgun primers work great ...

as blanks

for shooting wax/plastic bullets
Old February 25, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Navy joe

Small rifle in small pistol, yes, but need full power springs in your lockwork since the cup is thicker.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:10 PM   #6
dmazur

The only reference I can find, including an old patent, is to use LPP to rebuild 209 primers.

There used to be a CCI #157 primer, smaller than the 209, but it is no longer made. I'm reasonably sure this isn't made to SPP dimensions, even if you could find a stash of them in someone's attic.

I'm not sure what a small shotgun primer is. They're all 209 now, I believe.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
scooter-2

spp.

thanks for reminding me. i should have said small rifle primers instead. i need my afternoon nap. i do not load rifle or shotgun. only pistol. any comments would be appreciated. i hope this clearifies the matter. thanks. scooter-2
Old February 25, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8
oldpapps

This has been discussed before.
The gist is:
Rifle primers are; harder, hotter and sometimes longer.
Yes, in some cases, during the load building process, rifle primers could be used (if they will seat deep enough in the primer pocket and the weapon has enough fall to ignite them). Just don't switch back and forth indiscriminately. The results could/would be greater than switching between standard strength and magnum strength primers.

If that's all you have or can get, try it but work your loads slowly and with great care. It appears that powder is loosing up a little. I suspect primers will also.

Always error on the side of safety,

OSOK
Old February 25, 2013, 03:27 PM   #9
david_r

I believe Brian Pfleuger posted recently that CCI SRP are the same primer as CCI small magnum pistol primers.

edit: sorry for the misspell, Brian.

Last edited by david_r; February 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Mobuck

Your gun
Your face
Your call
I've read articles that related instances of dismantling 30 carbine ammo for the powder and primers to load 357 magnum.
In an absolute emergency survival situation, using small rifle primers for small pistol MIGHT be necessary. For myself, I haven't reached that level of desparation yet.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Rebel

+1@Mobuck
Old February 26, 2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_r
I believe Brian Fleuger posted recently that CCI SRP are the same primer as CCI small magnum pistol primers.
I did indeed. The information actually comes from COSteve, in this thread.

Primers that are all labeled as "small pistol" or "small rifle" are hardly identical anyway. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that one companies "regular" small pistol primer is as powerful (or more than) some other companies "magnum" primer.

Check this article... look at the picture of the different primer test about 1/2 way down.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:09 AM   #13
BigJimP

I wouldn't use small rifle primers ..in lieu of small pistol primers.../ no reason too...

If you're trying to do it ...because primers are in short supply right now ...just wait until the right ones show up. There are a lot of small pistol primers available in my area...but price is up around $ 70/1,000 which I refuse to pay...

I'm waiting until the prices come down to something reasonable...after all the hoarders that are causing this run out of money / which may have already happened...because I talked to Brownells yesterday and they hope to have inventory on primers to ship in March...
Old February 27, 2013, 04:42 PM   #14
TimW77

There was an article (I think) in Handloader Magazine last year about this.

According to the article there is NOTHING WRONG with using SR primers in handguns. Although SR primers are slightly taller than SP primers they are still close enough.

As with ANY COMPONENT change you have to work up the loads with these primers.

Actually READ your reloading manuals and you just might find that some reloading data actually calls for RIFLE primers in handgun cartridges.

The same is NOT true of rifle primers, they are too tall to be safely used.

T.