The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old June 11, 2012, 06:58 PM   #26
trkkshotbry

update and review

I just returned home from my local range with the Hi point .45 carbine. After sighting in the red dot sight I had a few mags worth left to play with. I'm not a great shot or anything but I could manage 2 inch groups at 25yards all day long, I'm looking forward to trying it out at longer ranges at a later date but initial impressions are pretty positive. The weapon functioned flawlessly through 300rnds with zero malfunctions.
The trigger really is the worst I've ever used, heavy, lots of creep over a pretty long travel for a rifle. It wasn't stagey or rough but with so much pressure I'm not sure I woudve felt much roughness. Ill be taking it apart to Polish and tweak or replace the spring. Also the trigger is too short for the trigger guard and almost pinched at the far end of its travel. Ill be looking for aftermarket alternatives or heating the plastic and changing the shape soon.
So other than the trigger which was just this side of acceptable the rest of the gun is solidly built, reliable (so far) appears to be built like a tank. It could certainly use some Polish but for $325 out the door with the red dot sight I still call it a bargain especially for those with the time, tools and inclination to finish the weapon themselves.
Old June 12, 2012, 05:17 AM   #27
Loki Mossberg

Best .45 caliber carbine over all i think would be the Masterpiece Arms mac-10 .45. 30 rounds clips are inexpensive for it and work. It's only like 450 for the full carbine version long barrel. Its also side cock unlike the old mac-11s, so you can mount a scope or sight to picatinny. Its also available in 9mm, and .460 rowland (supposedly equal to .44 mag in ballistic energy but super expensive per round). Camp carbine wouldn't be a bad choice either, if you can use 1911 clips you could get up to 10 rnds. If you want more out of a carbine I'd say lever action is the way to go. A rossi 45-70/.410 lever gun. could humainly kill just about any animal in north america at the proper range grouse-mouse, well may be not the carbine version. Or a Buffalo Boar .500 SW magnum lever-gun.
Old June 16, 2012, 04:00 AM   #28
trkkshotbry

Hi Point update

I just received my new trigger from hipoint9mmcarbines.com and its actually for my .45 carbine. I also had an idea for how to mount a bayonet to the little carbine.
Old June 16, 2012, 01:43 PM   #29
fext

A semiauto Tommy made by by Para Ordnance is a lovely thing. It just have style.
Old June 17, 2012, 08:43 PM   #30
ClarkGriswald

Recently picked up a Beretta CX4 in .45. Yes the downside is that factory magazine only holds 8 rounds. However, website SierraPapa offers a magazine extension as well as some other upgrades for the CX4.
I fell in love with the CX4 my first outing with it. Didn't have any complaints with the trigger but will see what the benefits in upgrading the trigger will be other than getting rid of a plastic trigger.
Old June 17, 2012, 09:41 PM   #31
barnbwt

Mild divergence from topic:
I saw a CX4 in the LGS, and, thinking of this thread I've been following, went over to pick it up. Turns out it was a Benelli MR1 in .223 . You learn something new every day; I thought benelli only made shotguns, not PDWs

OK, back to the .45's now...
I did check out a CX4 there a few months back. I remember being impressed by the ergonomics and balance, but a bit taken aback by their particular choice of materials. Away from the grips, it felt like ABS, or something; made the gun feel cheaper than it really was. I think it would have felt better with a "grippier" finish, like if it was rubberized, or a true matte, instead of just textured. It did impress me enough to buy a .22LR MP161K from Baikal

TCB
Old June 18, 2012, 11:07 PM   #32
Deja vu

My brother has a 45/70 Marlin 16.5 inch barrel Carbine. It is 45 caliber and has really good knock down power.

p.s. I have shot a highpoint 45 caliber carbine and it was pretty good but I am not really in to black guns.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 20, 2012, 07:51 PM   #33
FrosSsT

Quote:
Kriss makes the best 45 caliber carbine ever IMO. It recoils less than a MP5 and is reliable and easy to maintain. Good luck getting your hands on one though; they're backordered everywhere...
The Kriss Super V has been reported to have alot of flaws. So far I have not found a credible review without a terrible reliability report. The HK USC on the other hand is supposed to be a phenomenal .45 carbine (at the same price as the Super V)

To the OP - I myself own the Cx4 storm in .40 and I would highly recommend it. Its high quality, easy to clean, and its one of the best carbines I own.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:29 PM   #34
priell3

This is my pistol caliber carbine, in 9mm. Also available in .45ACP. Uses Glock magazines. I have one 10 round and two 33 round mags. Fun and reliable.

www.jrcarbines.com

Last edited by priell3; July 10, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:51 PM   #35
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
The Kriss Super V has been reported to have alot of flaws. So far I have not found a credible review without a terrible reliability report. The HK USC on the other hand is supposed to be a phenomenal .45 carbine (at the same price as the Super V)
Hmmm... We got one at work to test, but it was from Kriss (so they probably function checked it ahead of time).... It went through about 1k rounds in one day without being cleaned (was lubricated) and I didn't see it have a malfunction of any kind. I can't speak to others' experiences but that was mine. I thought it was great.
Old July 14, 2012, 12:21 PM   #36
TNT

I went with the Auto Ordnance 1928 Commando I liked the parkerizing a military thing
Old August 21, 2014, 03:49 PM   #37
Ulysses S Garand

If you want a reliable high capacity .45 Carbine, I would recommend a Masterpiece Arms.

I know that in the past the MAC clones have gotten a lot of hate, but the current owners of this company have done quite a bit with the design, including changing the grip, adding a proper set of iron sights(Though optics are very easily installed), and adding a much beloved trigger disconnect that has done away with the notorious trigger bite.

I've had one for years and it is quite comfortable to shoot and extremely accurate. I have never had a problem with it aside from a few FTF's while running extremely low grade ammunition.

It is a tad on the heavy side but that lends to very easy follow up shots as the weight of the gun absorbs the bulk of the recoil.
Old August 21, 2014, 08:25 PM   #38
chris in va

Quote:
July 14, 2012, 12:21 PM #36
Two year old thread.

But anyway, the CX4 45 carbine is actually cheaper than the 9mm version, in most cases. It's a ton of fun and quite light.
Old August 22, 2014, 01:17 PM   #39
Evan Thomas

The OP made his decision over two years ago...