The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 20, 2010, 09:42 PM   #1
KBP

Rear sight for Winchester Model 94

I just bought a 1967 Winchester Model 94 and its missing its rear sight! The last owner had a handgun scope mounted to the rear sight with a two hole mount! Yuk! I have no idea what sight was on the back and where would I check for the cheapest place to get a complete rear sight? Would it be easy to put on the rifle? Thanks for any advice! Ken
Old November 20, 2010, 10:35 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If all you want is the factory barrel sight with the elevator, try www.gunpartscorp.com. That rifle is also drilled and tapped for a Lyman or Williams rear peep sight which you can obtain from Brownells.

Jim
Old November 21, 2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Goatwhiskers

I had one come in the shop a while back with a missing rear sight. They had arc welded a 5/16" nut in its place. Talk about a peep sight! Customer was happy with it so I left it alone. Goatwhiskers
Old November 21, 2010, 10:38 AM   #4
KBP

Rear sight for Winchester model 94

:barf: A nut for the rear sight? Thats worse than the handgun scope that was mounted on my rifle when I bought it! I think I would rather just leave it missing than weld a nut on the rifle! Hopefully, I will find a rear sight that matches the sight that was on the rifle when it left the factory. Maybe I'm wrong, but that addition would (IMO) ruin the rifle. Ken
Old November 21, 2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Goatwhiskers

KBP--my point exactly. I have also taken in an 1100 with an arrow thru the mag tube, and a M11 Rem on which the main spring had broken and been brazed back together. Goatwhiskers
Old November 29, 2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Doodlebugger45

If you want to go the peep sight route, there is at least one other option besides the Lyman or Williams. Take a look at the Skinner peep sight. Quite a bit cheaper than the other 2, but they work very well. He started out making peep sights for Marlins but added the barrel mounted version for the Model 94. Very easy to install.

http://skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html
Old November 29, 2010, 08:54 PM   #7
hickstick_10

Any gunsmith probably has 5 original 1894 buckhorn sights rolling around in his junk box.