The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 2, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
BoogieMan

NICS wait period

My LGS said about 7 days from today. I thought things had callmed a bit, or at least gotten better because there were no guns left to buy. I have had my 460 on hold for 13 weeks (NJ permits) went in today paid and signed everything. Now I am waiting another 7. Granted it may be back in 5, but still. That is extreme. This is a paid service. Doesnt come from tax revenue or some other general fund. I pay $17 at time of purchase to have the check done.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 2, 2013, 02:16 PM   #2
tynman

I feel your pain... You are in the same state I am in and good luck with even getting it back in 7 days.....
My purchase permits are in there 2 and 1/2 month and I went and asked about them at the 2 month mark cause they told me it would take about 2 months 2 weeks ago. They told me everything was back and just needed the chief to look it over and sign it but the chief was on vacation that week. So I figured last week I would have gotten the class. I guess the pen ran out of ink that week. So now I'm sitting here at this week hoping for the call. Then I will have to wait the NIC check 7 day waiting period which I know will take long then 7 days...
I know that because today is 8 days since I put in a NIC check for a shotgun I bought 2 Saturdays ago and I called to see if it was back today and sure enough not in yet.
So I hope you get yours in 7 days.
Old April 2, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
BoogieMan

@Tynmann- I am lucky that my municipal police are decent about firearm ID and Handgun permits. I have heard of people waiting over a year. I think the permits should go through the office of Sheriff. That way we vote for the guy.
The NICS thing I didnt anticipate. I have been talking so much "stuff" about getting this pistol. I txted my buddy (44 mag guy) and said "I got my permit, lets go to the range saturday". Now I'll be eating my word yet another weekend.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 2, 2013, 02:33 PM   #4
lamarw

Why is the wait period on the NICS so different between New Jersey and Alabama? I bought a new pistol last month from my local gun store in Montgomery, AL and headed home within twenty minutes of entering the store. The NICS call and approval took less than a couple of minutes. My wife set the in the car while I went in and got my new Sig.

I know NJ has tougher State gun laws than Alabama, but is't the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) the same? Is there something else causing the 7 day wait vs. NICS approval time. The letter "I" in the acronym is for "Instant".

Now if someone told me an hour, then I might understand because of a phone back-up.

Is there a wait period in New Jersey? If so, then it is not waiting on NICS Approval as the cause of the wait period.
Old April 2, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5
TailGator

I doubt it is the NICS approval that is holding you up. Like the previous poster, I purchased a pistol last week in a single visit (with a CWP). It sounds like maybe there is a state waiting period, that perhaps doesn't start until you make the final payment?
Old April 2, 2013, 06:25 PM   #6
tynman

Boogieman I hear you. I have been eating my words for a month now. I have bought my ruger gp100 357 and my walthers 380 already (paid in full) and all I need is my permits to come back from the town... I have 3 riffles I want to sight in on paper but Im waiting for these 3 to come in so I can break them in too. Im still waiting for my sig p220 super match to come in from sig so Im in no hurry for the permit on that one but I filed for 3 handguns the same time... Im getting tired of sitting on my hands waiting...

Lamarw and Tailgator there is I think a 3 day wait time for a handgun in NJ. Yes I would think the NICS check is the same everywhere. The problem here is the gun craze every LGS I have went to has an Instant 7 day NICS check here. Cause with riffles before this gun buying craze I have walked into LGS picked a riffle I liked filled out the paper work they made a phone call and 2 mins later I was walking to my car with my riffle.
The only thing I think is diffrent about your state are your LGS is willing to let you take the gun home and if your NICS check comes back no good the LGS has to get the gun back. Where here in NJ the LGS owners are not so nice and trusting, they wont let the gun leave the store without that NICS check being cleared...
Old April 2, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
lamarw

Thanks for the explanation tynman, but I am still not sure. I have used numerous gun stores all over my State plus several different FFLs which were gunsmiths (one works out of his house) and/or pawn stores. In every case, I had my NICS check completed and out within a half hour. None of the folks knew me personally. I have watched them on the phone during the NICS check writing down the approval number. The only ID they have ever requested was my drivers license.

If it was a NICS temporary approval number, then I am really surprised. I will have to ask the next time I buy a firearm.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:26 PM   #8
magnum777

I thought things were bad in New York(I'm not talking about N.Y.C.) To get a handgun in my county you have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for the handgun added to your permit. Then you go to the gun store, to pick up your gun, but the NICS check ,you do not have to pay for and their is no wait period after the check.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

The seven day wait sounds kind of fishy to me. I've never waited over a few minutes in smaller shops where they can make the call right away, and usually no more than a half hour in Cabella's or Bass Pro when they are busy with many sales requiring a lot of phone calls. I don't see what diference the state of residence means. Local, and state waiting periods yes, but not the "instant" check.

Quote:
The only thing I think is diffrent about your state are your LGS is willing to let you take the gun home and if your NICS check comes back no good the LGS has to get the gun back. Where here in NJ the LGS owners are not so nice and trusting, they wont let the gun leave the store without that NICS check being cleared...
I doubt that happens much at all. Maybe if the dealer is a close personal friend, but I think he would still be taking a chance on violating federal law by letting someone have the gun before getting the proceed from the NICS check.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 2, 2013, 08:04 PM   #10
gandog56

Wait time for guns? Heck, here in Mobile, Alabama I didn't even have to wait to get a CCW. In and out in like 20 minutes, and only THAT long because I went in at lunch time and only one person was doing the room.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Ajtozzi

NICS wait period

Here's the deal in NJ
regarding NICS...

NJ decided years ago that they didn't want to use the FREE NICS system offered by the FBI as they viewed the NICS checks as a source of revenue. Therefore all NICS checks that are done at point of purchase in NJ go through the NJ State Police.

Recently, due to "higher than normal volumes" NJ NICS no longer accepts phone calls, they only take the info via fax, which goes into a pile and they do them as they were received. This started around mid-January and continues with no relief in sight.

The current wait time, as of 4/1, is about 10 days, which seems to grow by about one day a week. There is no mandatory waiting period in NJ. The state charges $15 to perform this check with some FFLs charging above and beyond that to profit from it. This $15 fee is also taxable which really makes it $16.05 after tax.

There are talks of a class action law suit in the works to force NJ to revert to making these background checks "instant". Personally I view this delay as unacceptable and an infringement on our 2nd Amendment rights. NJ has effectively instituted an illegal waiting period on purchases due to this backlog.

Additionally NJ requires a firearm ID card (FID) to purchase long guns, hand guns and ammo. Hand guns apps require, in addition to the FID, Pistol Purchase Permits. These PPPs must be obtained one for each handgun, are good for 90 days (extendable to 180 days) and you may only obtain 3 at a time. NJ also limits you to one handgun purchase every 30 days. The current wait time to obtain an FID and PPPs is anywhere from 2-6 months depending on which township/county you reside in. The cost for an FID is about $80 (which is good for life) and PPPs are $2 each plus an $18 background check fee.

It's confusing, ridiculous and, in my opinion, unconstitutional. Ask me again why I live here?!?!??

Check out www.nj2as.com for more info!
Old April 2, 2013, 10:02 PM   #12
tynman

Ajtozzi thank you for clearing it all up.
I really hope there is a suit against NJ cause this is to much.... Here in NJ everyone is taught the handguns and riffles and guns in general are a BAD word and its not good if you want one or own one....
Im with you I cant wait for retirment so I can move (RUN) out of this state not just because of the gun laws but because of the other wonderful stuff in this state....
Keep me updated on that law suit please.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:10 PM   #13
Ajtozzi

NICS wait period

Tynman- please visit nj2as.com and consider joining. It's a local, grass roots 2A society that's making awesome progress in NJ.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
wstein

I know in FL, you go in to the LGS, pay $5 for the background check, fill out Form 4413, they call into the FDLE (Florida Dept of Law Enforcement) your information, if approved and you have a CCW, you pay for the gun and leave. If you don't have a CCW, you pay for the gun, wait 3 days and come back and pick up your gun. Usually about 15-30 mins start to finish.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old April 2, 2013, 10:24 PM   #15
lagavulin62

I don't believe this. I lived in NJ in the late 80's but was in my late 20's and really didn't care about guns. I lived in Paramas and only cared about partying in the city. I came back home to Texas when I grew up but I also got dang tired of all the BS with other things. Like can't even pump your own gas or get your car inspected unless it's at the state inspection station. 3 hour yearly waits to get my car inspected, give me a break. One time I was in a public park chipping golf balls and a cop drives by and on his speaker tells me "No Golf in Park". Insane. I just couldn't take anymore of that nonsense. Now with my love of guns I just don't know how you guys stand it. If that is not Communism I don't understand it. Here in Texas I have never had to wait more than a few mins for a NICS and I never was in the store more than a half hour total. Now with a CHL I'm in and out in like 5 mins. I really hope you guys get things straight so you can move from all that nonsense. We would love to have you here in the great state of Texas. Who knows, maybe we will be a Republic again one day.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
tynman

Ajtozzi I just checked it out and it looks like a good site. I am sending the link out to my friends to check out also. But I may join by tomorrow.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:34 PM   #17
tynman

lagavulin62 so you just had a little taste of NJ... LOL smart move on going back home... My wife and I were just talking last week that we should like into retirement to Texas as a possibility.
You were in Bergan County those cops do have some time on there hands to tell you that you cant play golf in a park.... That is why I stayed as far as I could from that county.. I dont even like driving though there.....
Old April 2, 2013, 11:18 PM   #18
lagavulin62

Tynman,

Yes come down to Texas. You will never leave. We have just about everything here. Got to admit the beaches are not Florida, but then again at least if you come to Texas you won't have to be neighbors with retired New Yorkers. One other drawback and I promise all the rest is good news. We got two Bushes here. George 1 in Houston and George 2 in Dallas. Take your pick.

Oh how could I forget, the week before I was to return home, (july 90) my car breaks down 3 blocks from my house. It's 11:30 and no way I can get this thing back home. So I pull it over and leave a note explaining that I had broken down and will have it moved off the street first thing in the morning. Well wouldn't you know it next morning I return to the car to find a ticket on the windshield. I'm just fuming. Once I get the car to the shop and repaired I drive to the police station with ticket and my note asking how anyone could ticket me under such circumstances. All I get is "Pay the ticket, pay the ticket, nothing we can do, pay the ticket". What a bunch of jerkwads. Well I guess you know that ticket never got paid. I suppose if I ever get pulled over one day in NJ it could be a long night. lol
Old April 2, 2013, 11:20 PM   #19
ZIA

No wait in Texas, just did a NICS earlier today & it took less than 5 min.
Old April 3, 2013, 12:25 AM   #20
lamarw

OK, I am glad someone was able to clear this up. It is not the Fed's "this time" but rather the bureaucratic State of New Jersey.

I lived there for a number of years and even hauled away a wonderful Lady from there. It doesn't take as long to get married as it takes to buy a firearm. It is a great place in so many other good ways.

I am well aware of their State revenue venues, i.e.; Atlantic City - All taxed proceeds to buy heating for the poor and the NJ Parkway - Tolls until it is paid for and then no tolls. Are there still tolls? It was paid for at least 20 years ago.
Old April 3, 2013, 01:03 AM   #21
Gaerek

In AZ I get to skip NICS if I show them my CCW. I love living in a free state.

Still have to fill out the 4473 though.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:38 AM   #22
BoogieMan

There is no NJ waiting period. Prior to all this mess when sales were normal I could go into any NJ store and walk out within a few minutes with a pistol (provided I had other permits) or a long gun.
I posted this because I was curious about wait times in other areas. How is NICS run? Is it a National check done by state employees? LGS (several of them in NJ) says that NICS wont even take a phone call currently. They are asking that all apps be faxed in.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 3, 2013, 06:12 AM   #23
nycstlrr

Just did a NICS in Ohio Monday and it took a few minutes and I was done.
Old April 3, 2013, 07:34 AM   #24
tynman

Boogieman there is a wait but we are so use to it that we dont look at it as a wait. What is the time frame when you put in your paper work for a handgun until you walk out of the store with it? Its our wait. Thats how Im seeing it.. Ask these other guys how they go about buying a handgun.

lagavulin62 I live not to far from the beaches here and I wont miss it. We dont go there to often during peek season. We also wouldnt be moving anywhere near those Bushes cause I would want to get away from the city living and just be able to have my own 10 acreas with a nice house and not pay $15,000 in taxes a year.

The way it looks right now I will have my non resident CCW before I get my permits or NICS check back.... And the CCW paper work was sent in on 3/11... But this state or towns will blame the feds for it....
Old April 3, 2013, 08:20 AM   #25
lamarw

In Alabama, I can buy a standard firearm, meaning not fully automatic, suppressed and etc., from a private party without an owner's permit or an NICS check.

A firearm transferred in from another State's seller/owner has to be processed through an FFL and I pay the FFL a nominal fee and he/she processes the NICS check on me. The transfer from my FFL to me does not require anything from me other than my driver's license, no owner's permit requried, and the completion of the NICS form. Normally takes about ten minutes.

If I purchase a firearm from a guns store, then the store processes the NICS and it is typically free. The paperwork takes ten to fifteen minutes. Just my drivers license and no owner's permit needed.

If I choose to have a concealed carry permit I go to my County's Sheriff's office to obtain a concealed weapon's carry permit. This is to carry a firearm concealed in public either on your person or in a vehicle/boat while off private property. The sheriff's office does do a background check on you and it takes about 15 minutes and an annual fee varying in cost from County to County. My County is $25.00, but it is reduced to $20.00 if you are a Senior Citizen. You can do the renewals by mail. Where I live, there are no local police. The 660 plus sq. mile area is covered by the Sherrif's Department. It is a small force. As you can imagine, the nearest Deputy can be a significant distance away in the event of an emergency call.