The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2012, 07:23 PM   #1
bfg9000guy

40 S&W bulge question

I'm thinking about branching out and loading some 40 S&W. I understand that there can be problems with case bulging, and I have seen the Lee tool that removes the case bulge. My question- is this just a problem with guns that are not fully supporting the case, or does every model of 40S&W have bulge issues, regardless of case support?
Old October 3, 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
droptrd

no its a glock thing. I reload my glock 40 brass and have never had a problem with the low bulge. I dont do anything special. the brass cycles through my glock 23 and my beretta 96 perfectly.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Hammerhead

Older .40 Glocks had very poor support, newer ones are better, but most 9mm framed guns converted to .40 still are not fully supported.

The Redding and Lee push through dies resized the case all the way down, but once the case has been thinned by the bulge, there's no way to re-thicken the brass, and the case is not as strong as a factory new case.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Hunter Customs

Quote:
The Redding and Lee push through dies resized the case all the way down, but once the case has been thinned by the bulge, there's no way to re-thicken the brass, and the case is not as strong as a factory new case.
The above words are very true and I've seen this resized bulge brass blow.
I only reload 40 brass that was factory loads that I shot in fully supported barrels.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 6, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
zplinker

.40 bulges

Magma Engineering, of Queen Creek, Az., makes a Sizemaster Jr., for taking bulged cases back to factory specs. It runs the fired brass base first through a carbide die; I hook a Dillon case feeder to it, and can do about a thousand an hour.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...AGT26NWiMhedDA

At $325, its not the bargain unit, but it sure does work great. To be safe, I do not use these brass for top end loads, but have many, many mid range loadings on them before they split like any other brass.