The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2010, 04:14 PM   #1
pinetree

Vaseline - For Guns?

Just got back from a quail hunt in So Ga, Red Pebble Plantation - it was awesome... anyway, in my room there was a catalog for Connecticut Shotgun. In it was was a bunch of neat stuff including accessories, cases and such. The also had vaseline containers. Is or was vaseline commonly used on guns? If so for protection or like a grease for lubrication?

Just curious.
Old February 27, 2010, 04:20 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

I think the double gun owners use the stuff as lubrication on the hinge pin and forearm iron piviot points. Usually this area is regreased when the gun is assembled and wiped clean when put back into the case.
Old February 27, 2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Pahoo

In this case, it would be primarily for the lubrcation properties I say this because it is very pure with no additives. That is why it is safe to use on your person. You do the math!! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 27, 2010, 05:07 PM   #4
mete

Hinge pins have very high forces on them .There are special lubes for such application and it's better to use them .
Does your shotgun have a cold ?
Old February 27, 2010, 07:55 PM   #5
BigJimP

I always use grease on the hinge pins / forened connection ...and the ears where the barrels lock into the receiver.... I've never used Vasoline / I've been using "Rig" grease for many years - its a "golden" color ....but I wipe it clean / re-do the grease after every time I shoot the gun and clean it ...I re-grease the connection before I put the gun back into the safe.
Old February 27, 2010, 08:23 PM   #6
zippy13

The factory Perazzi tech used a mixture of Vaseline and 30W non-detergent motor oil. But, that was some years ago, before they started marketing their own proprietary lube. I've got a container of lube in each gun case. At present, I think I've go going some STOS, RIG and Mobile 1 synthetic (grease). Like many other comp shooters, the pivot lube has to work for only a few hours before the gun is broken down and cleaned, I'd be okay with Vaseline.
Old February 28, 2010, 12:43 AM   #7
olddrum1

I have used all three that Z13 mentioned. I currently (last eight or so years) hsve been using Stos. I find that although I like Rig very much the Stos goes on a little easier. I give anything going into the safe a fine coating over the entire metal surface.
Old February 28, 2010, 08:18 AM   #8
jaguarxk120

Today we have many fine greases and lubes for us to use on guns. And whats out there maybe much better than what was available years ago. I think the term vaseline is a generic term for the container and not the content.

You buy the container and put your own lube in it what ever that may be.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:06 AM   #9
alloy

Quote:
before they started marketing their own proprietary lube.
Maybe that is the proprietary lube?
I know it's use is called for in some air cooled engine and transmission applications as an appropriate assembly lube. Mainly in needle bearings, and these are not exposed to external climate so there's that.
That's all I got.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:10 AM   #10
B.L.E.

Quote:
I think the term vaseline is a generic term for the container and not the content.

I always thought "Vaseline" was a registered trademark for petroleum jelly.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:48 AM   #11
zippy13

B.L.E.
Quote:
Quote:
before they started marketing their own proprietary lube.
Maybe that is the proprietary lube?
Not quite, the original Perazzi lube may have been a mechanical marvel, but it was a disaster for the end user. It was jet black, and a very tenacious jet black at that. Some folks like to apply their lube with a brush, I do it digitally. After getting it into all the nooks and crannies, I wipe of the excess from the gun and my finger. I got a rude awakening when I used the Perazzi stuff for the first time, my finger stayed black. I got some of the stuff on my shirt and the laundry couldn't get out the black spot. The golf towel I shoot with was permanently stained black, too. Consequently, I gave the almost new tube (yep, tube, not jar) of the black curse to my buddy for his Perazzis -- he never forgave me.

Last edited by zippy13; February 28, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:59 AM   #12
alloy

Quote:
Consequently, I gave the almost new tube (yep, tube, not jar) of the black curse to my buddy for his Perazzis -- he never forgave me.
Funny
I've developed my own top secret soup with a white lithium base and various high tech oil additives(CLP, Hoppes, Rem oil, Mobil and whatever else) until I get the viscosity of warm french's mustard.
Works on everything from 1911 lugs to choke tubes like a greased string out of a cat's rear...
Old February 28, 2010, 11:09 AM   #13
Pahoo

Quote:
I think the term vaseline is a generic term for the container and not the content.
Not so and yes, the following is true.
Quote:
I always thought "Vaseline" was a registered trademark for petroleum jelly.
Look up the MSDS data and it pertains to the content and not the container. I also know that there are different grades of purity.

1. PRODUCT I DENTI FI CATI ON
Product Name: Vaseline, petroleum jelly
I NCI Name: Euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax
Synonyms: petrolatum
CAS Number: 8009-03-8
EI NECS Number: 232-373-2
Origin: obtained from petroleum

Be Safe !!!
Old February 28, 2010, 01:31 PM   #14
jaguarxk120

I know when rebuilding automatic transmissions there are small check valves (rubber balls) in the valve body and the rebuilders use vaseline to hold them in place. The transmission fluid will dislove the vaseline, not so with other grease's.

Getting back to the original posters theme has anyone gone to Connecticut Shotgun web site? WOW a lot of really nice high end stuff there.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; February 28, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old March 7, 2010, 06:42 PM   #15
americanworkmule

I've heard of guys heating up a gun's metal parts in the oven while covered in Vaseline to help in rust prevention? or something
Old March 7, 2010, 07:06 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Vaseline was more commonly used as a protectant and lube way back. I also have seen and heard of Eastern Shore goose guides melting paraffin as an exterior protectant, especially on Expresses.

IMO, there's better stuff out now. Lately, I've used SLIP 2000 and Mobil One synthetic motor oil.

Both have merit, but the big thing is to use SOMETHING.

Often.....