The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 23, 2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Come and take it.

holographic sights or open red dot sights

I seem to be a bit confused on this.

I know EOtech makes a dandy holographic sight but what are all these others sights that have been called holographic sights for years?

Are they open red dot scopes?

I need a crash course on this I suppose
Old July 23, 2009, 10:31 PM   #2
sholling

EOTech seems to be the major producer of tactical holosights.

What I think you're asking about are called reflex sights and come in quality levels ranging from abysmal to excellent. They work by reflecting a red LED back off of a sheet of slightly mirrored glass or plastic. Most of the fake EOTechs use this same technology. The down side is that the LED is often visible from the front.

Electronic Sights Explained
Old July 23, 2009, 11:24 PM   #3
MLeake

The EOtech...

... has certain advantages.

1) If the glass gets broken, but the projector is undamaged, the holographic dot is still displayed, though it's harder to see.

2) Brightness has a wide adjustment range.

3) It has IR mode, in case you have goggles.

4) The 552 model takes regular old penlight batteries, so it's easy to keep it running.

Have a friend who's a Major in the Rangers. One of his guys dropped an M4 at a very inopportune time - it got run over by a truck. According to my friend, the rifle looked like hell, but the EOTech sight still worked - and it had gone under the main drive wheels.

Other nice thing about the EOtech. If the red dot is sighted in at 25yds, it's also good at 300yds. Because the bullet trajectory is arcing above that line in between, lower the rifle so that the target sits between the dot and the top arc of the circle at ranges out to around 100yds, and bisected by the top of the circle at 150yds, and then down closer to the dot as you go out to 300yds. Makes range adjustment easy and quick.
Old July 25, 2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Come and take it.

I thought Bushnell pioneered the first holographic sight over a decade ago maybe even close to 2 decades.
Old July 28, 2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Come and take it.

I have read some information that Eotechs are simply hardily constructed reflex sights that use the same technology that has been around since the first holosights were introduced by Bushnell over a decade ago and is used on lighter more fragile sighting systems.