The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 29, 2009, 02:18 PM   #26
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

masterhunter,

You sound just like I used to be. So I will give you a little education just like the guys that knew more than me took the time to educate me to the truth. It shall set you free. It did me. I was a #4 big fan for turkey hunting.

Hevi-Shot #6's will penetrate better than lead #4's. I'll show you some proof. Actually Hevi-Shot #7's will penetrate better than lead #4's.

Read these for the facts.

http://www.nwtf.org/message_board/ub...=137678&page=1

http://www.nwtf.org/message_board/ub...=128722&page=1

I hope you, too, will see the light like I did and admit that you are wrong and not edcucated to the facts like I was.

Seeing is believing.

Try some of these Hevi-13 loads and you will love them. They shoot way better than lead. And they kill better as well.
Old April 29, 2009, 02:28 PM   #27
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

18g/cc #9's at 40yds

That's right, #9 shot that is super hard.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...atterns004.jpg

Compare the holes in the tin to the holes from the lead #4's in the link above.

No ands, ifs, or buts. Just take it for what it is.
Old April 29, 2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

One more to put the proof on the table.

http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum/index...c,14700.0.html

Lead is obsolete to the Hevi-13, hard tungston shot.
Old April 29, 2009, 03:01 PM   #29
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

This is the guy that converted me, and shot that awesome 542 count in a 10" circle at 40yds I showed earlier. This guy is just a wealth of knowledge when it comes to turkey hunting and he loves to test his reloads. He reloads some of he most wicked shells out there as well.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ue#Post2944586
Old April 29, 2009, 03:11 PM   #30
masterhunter

Therein lies the rub.........I cant use Heavyshot in my 12 gauges choke tube...my predominant turkey gun.

My 20 gauge on the other hand I use Heavyshot #6's when I feel the need to use it for turkey.
Old April 29, 2009, 03:27 PM   #31
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Then you should switch to a choke that can.

Indian Creek, Jelly Head, Pure Gold are some of the best.

I have such good luck out of my $20 Star Dot that I can't see paying more for one that probably won't shoot as good.
Old April 30, 2009, 03:52 AM   #32
impalacustom

I am sure Hevi-Shot is good but umm at $24/pound??? Its not that good. I will use my lead #5 and call them in closer than 50yds. My $0.75/pound lead gets the job done, never had a turkey get away yet.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:00 AM   #33
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

I'll pay the $4 or $5 a shell for the Hevi -13 shells that will reach out farther than lead. When you only shoot 2 shells a spring season, $10 ain't going to break the bank. And you can reach farther out and hammer a bird to the ground that lead will just pepper spray them. I would rather extend my lethal range today and be packing a bird to the truck than to stick with lead because it's cheaper and wait for hopefully tomorrow for the same bird to get closer when it didn't want to today. But hey, go ahead and keep shooting your lead loads. It's your decision.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:33 AM   #34
Todd1700

Quote:
Definately like Art said, there is no ballistic advantage with a 28 over a 24 or 21".
Well I can't completely agree with that as worded. You may say that there is not enough ballistic advantage for you to care about with a 28 inch barrel vs a 21. But to say there is none is just flat wrong. You definately lose some velocity with a 7 inch shorter barrel. And less velocity means less energy which in turn affects pellet penetration. Also while you can certainly get some short barreled guns to pattern well enough to kill turkeys at any ethical shot range (I own one) the best shooting 21 inch barreled shotgun will never out pattern the best shooting 28 inch barreled gun. Go to a NWTF still target shoot and count how many 20 or 21 inch barrels you spot. The fact that you will see none is not a fluke. There's a reason for it! Longer barrels typically outshoot shorter ones.

To me a 24 inch barrel is the best compromise between light weight and portable vs lethal patterns when it comes to turkey hunting.

Now all that said, the muzzle flash knock on shorter barrels mentioned in the origin post makes little sense as a criticism to me as well. One of my turkey guns is a little 21 inch barreled mossberg tactical turkey. I have never been handicapped by or even noticed the muzzle flash of it in a turkey hunting situation.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:39 PM   #35
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Todd,

I will agree with all that you said above except the 24" barrel thing. I think the 26" barrel would be the best of both worlds for turkey hunting.

I'll still stick with my 28" 835 barrel though. The .775 backbore barrel just thows some superior patterns to most other shotgun barrels from what I have seen.

But the rest of it your pretty well deadnut.