The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 19, 2009, 01:26 AM   #1
crfracer

Colt Frontier Scout Gen ?'s

Hey there, I just picked up a Colt Frontier Scout and had a few questions regarding it. I have done some research and it seems to have been made in '62, and judging by the serial, late in the year, or at least toward the end of the production run. I have also found that some of the "F", mine is also an "F" models seem to have come with both 22LR and 22Mag cylinders. My main question is, it is stamped with .22LR on the barrel, but there are no markings on the cylinder, is it possible that this is one that came with both cylinders, or be possible to put a 22 Mag cylinder on? Thanks in advance for any and all help on this issue.
Old March 19, 2009, 10:05 AM   #2
PetahW

Sure it is - it just may/may not work out, since I don't know if Colt used a compromise bore diameter like the later Ruger convertibles, or stayed with a smaller, .22LR-compatible size bore.

The OTHER problem, would be to locate a .22WRM cylinder, not to mention what it might cost, when/if found.

If the new cylinder arbor's a tad long, it can be worked down to the correct tolerance/fit.
If it's too short - it MAY be possible to shim it to length.

Old March 22, 2009, 12:09 AM   #3
fastforty

I have a 1970-72 Peacemaker .22 that came only with the .22LR cylinder. Of course for the last 30 years I *really* wanted the mag cylinder, but it seems that Colt wanted about $120 bucks for one last time I checked (the gun sold for $71 in 1972).

I got real lucky a couple of years ago. We were out antique shopping and my wife managed to drag me into a boutique kinda shop (just a buncha fluffy stuff, doncha know?). There was one shelf way in the back that caught my eye, I could see some old looking tins on it. Upon closer inspection, I found a very old gunpowder can and *almost* missed a little 1-1/2" square box sitting there. The print was very faded, but I made out a Colt logo. Popped that baby open & inside was a brand new, flawless .22mag cylinder. Paid $30 for it & it dropped in my Peacemaker just like it came from the factory with it