The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 22, 2001, 09:17 AM   #1
Tman

small, tall, secure gun safe?

Any suggestions on something that I can take to a second floor apartment by myself, strong enough, and tall enough to hold something like a shotgun? Saw something called Gunn Gard with an self-powered electronic lock, but at $1400, yikes.
Old September 22, 2001, 09:31 AM   #2
dZ

homark makes some light weight 90 dollar storage lockers
they would not stop someone with a sawsall, but its pretty secure

www.sportsmansguide.com has an in wall 16inch wide locker
that you inset into a wall
out of sight...

Mad Dog posted a week or so ago about using a job site/truckbed locker
for bedroom storage
Old September 22, 2001, 10:35 AM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Small and secure usually don't go together. Being in an apartment, you may or may not want to bolt something to the wall or floor too. If you go with something lightweight, it is highly recommended that you fill the bottom with heavy stuff like ammo, lead shot, or fishing weights.

Old September 22, 2001, 08:10 PM   #4
Sisco

Local WalMart has a couple that are heavier than the Homarks, the larger one has a combination lock on it. They are selling in the $250-350 range.
They're about the right size for an apartment. I'd bolt it to the wall, the holes it would leave would be easy to patch.
Old September 22, 2001, 08:14 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Try a company called Zanotti, 123 W. Lone Tree Rd., Cedar Falls, IA 50613, Phone (319) 232-9650.

They make modular safes, which can be assembled where wanted and disassembled if one moves. In the smaller sizes, the pieces can be easily handled by one person.

The safes are pretty good and come in several sizes, and I think one would work for you. Their prices are reasonable. Only problem is that, due to the construction, there is no fireproofing. If you are interested, give them a call; they have no e-mail address or web site.

Jim
Old September 22, 2001, 09:57 PM   #6
orlando5

You can go to Wal Mart and buy yourself one. I think the price range is around $200. From what I remember it look good.
Old September 22, 2001, 11:09 PM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

The Homarks actually are built pretty good - for ~$100. Bolted to the back wall (pre-drilled holes for 16" center studs).

Best answer depends so much as do most similar questions; i.e. "what's the threat level?"

Coupla kids break in to steal whatever's lying around, & the Homark-class should be fine. Somebody knows you have guns & wants to rip you off, that Homark's gonna be zipped into with a demolition (read battery-powered circular saw w/one of those "cut anything" blades) saw in about 15 seconds ... a plunge cut at both locks & the stuff's history.
Old September 23, 2001, 07:48 AM   #8
Tman

Thanks everybody

Have not actually seen the GunnGard in person but the specs and lock looked good. The zanotti I've inspected, still up there in price but is modular (is a put together safe like GunnGard) but still in the $1200 range (similar price range to GunnGard). Might go with the truck container or the Wal-mart safe.
Old September 23, 2001, 08:51 AM   #9
VictorLouis

Wal-Mart has you answer in the Sentry

safe they carry. It is made of much heavier gauge plate than the typical sheet-metal 'lockers', and it's carpet lined. The box and label differ, but it holds 8-10 long guns, and the upper shelf could hold several handguns. It has 3 locking cylinder bolts and a unique 'X' keyed locked, rather than a combination. I'm guessing here, but I'd say it's about 120-150olbs. Tagged at $296.
Old September 23, 2001, 11:01 AM   #10
Redlg155

In my Apartment I use one of the Homak "Sentinal" gun cabinets. It does provide enough protection to keep out unauthorized persons as well as your casual theif. If you get a determined one with a crowbar, he damn sure will make a lot of noise trying to get into it!

I keep mine bolted to the wall and it is pretty secure. I think the Wallyworld cost was about $150. When we finally get a house I'll get a full size safe and retire this one to be used for ammo storage, but until then, it works fine and gives me some peace of mind.

Good Shooting
RED