The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 20, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
MRL21

Savage Long Range Hunter question

Alright I am about ready to get my LRH hunter out to the range. Just curious if anyone else who owns one, regardless of caliber has had the issue I see with mine.

The fore end where the stock ends is touching the barrel. I have a friend who says my rifle makes his experience 3 of 3 with the issue. Savage says the accustock and LRH are supposed to be free floated right?

What did you do to yours? Free float it out leave it? How is it grouping for you before and/or after?

My buddy said the other two are split. He dremel floated his, the other was left untouched and shots lights out just the same.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:54 AM   #2
highbrow

Free float it.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old January 22, 2013, 06:33 AM   #3
was123

Don't mess with it until you shoot it.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4
tobnpr

You can just go ahead and shoot it...but I wouldn't.

The stock touching the barrel- especially at the forend- means there's going to be a lack of consistency of pressure on the barrel.

I would remove the action, and re-set it in the AccuStock, torquing the action screws correctly (front screw first, after tapping the buttstock on the floor to properly seat it) to see if it solves the problem.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/
Old January 22, 2013, 06:49 PM   #5
MRL21

I tried pulling and reinstalling. That didn't solve the issue, but I will give that another go before I go to playing the dremel game.

Guess there aren't a whole lot of people running long range hunters around here that can give me some first hand experience.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

Edit to add, I didn't do that method of tightening down the stock. I will give that a go and see how it works!

Last edited by MRL21; January 22, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:47 PM   #6
GeauxTide

Shoot the darn thing. You have no facts that show your rifle won't shoot.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7
reynolds357

My rule is shot it before I screw with it. Then, if it aint broke, dont break it.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:25 AM   #8
tobnpr

The problem with pressure on the barrel like that is it's likely to have a different point of impact depending on how much pressure is on the barrel from the stock.

Put the front of the stock on a rest off a bench, it's going to shoot differently than if held offhand, or off a bipod, or sticks...

Exceptions to the "rule" of free-floating are rare.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:39 AM   #9
603Country

I've got only one thin barreled rifle that doesn't have a floated barrel, and it didn't seem to like being floated (in an spare short action stock I have), so I put it back in the original stock and it shoots great. Could be that the spare stock was the real problem, but I've just decided to leave well enough alone.

As for the Savage, I'm with the rest. Just shoot the darn thing and see what happens. I would, however, be inclined to ask Savage if the stock is supposed to be touching the barrel. If not, then the action required is obvious.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:11 PM   #10
reynolds357

tobnpr, in theory; Yes. In actual practice; maybe, maybe not. With a wood stock that moves due to moisture, temp. etc. floating is very important. With a very stiff kevlar or composite stock most of the time it does not care if it is floated or not. I have a Savage tactical in a McMillan stock that you can not pry a piece of paper under the barrel with a crow bar. It shoots a clover leaf whether its hot, cold, humid, dry, or whatever else. If its real hot the group is a little higher than if its real cold, but that is due to powder and not stock pressure. I intended to glass bed and float the rifle, but it shot so good the way it was I left it well enough alone. I had a CZ with a wood stock that was not floated and it changed Zero every time it set in the safe a few months. So, it just depends on the individual rifle.