The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2007, 06:26 AM   #1
jsr76

.222 Remington ballistics

Good morning. I have an old savage model 840 E .222 Rem. It wasn't much when I aquired it but since then I've done away with the barrel band and glass bedded the old girl. I now use pressure on the barrel. It shoots as well as the cartridge will reach. Meaning that as long as I can figure the drop correctly, the rifle groups well enough for woodchucks. A 22-250, or swift, she isn't However, my question is on barrel length. When I got it I noticed the barrel was bulged about 6-8 inches from the muzzle. I cut and crowned the barrel to remove the bad section and now it's a true carbine. About 17". Just long enough to be legal but quite handy. I want to use it for a modest range woodchuck rifle. Does anyone know how much the little shell will give up with a short tube? I believe it used to be a 24". I was wondering about my own theory that maybe a modest cartridge like the .222 wouldn't be significantly hurt by the shorter tube. Any information or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:14 PM   #2
williamd

A shorter bbl is a shorter bbl regardless the calibre. Seek out the fastest powder for the 222, go to a range that gives you at least 300 yards and shoot at 25, 50, 100, 150, 200, .... Pretty easy to develop your own table.

I like H322 in my 222 but I have the original longer bbl on it.