The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
velocette

.45 Colt Blackpowder advice

I have some .45 Colt brass, some 250 grain .452 lead bullets, GOEX FFFg black powder and a stainless steel Ruger Bisley Vaquero.
I want to put them all together to make some stinky smoke, loud thumps and a smile on my face.
Suggestions on loading BP are welcome. My idea was to fill the cases up to 1/2" below the case mouth, seat & crimp the bullet & have fun. If you can suggest better, I'm listening.

Roger
Old October 4, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2
salvadore

I always used a fiber disk between powder and bullet.
Old October 4, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3
rclark

No need for a wad (never had to use them) .... Just compress the powder a bit and good to go. Leaving no air space is the key.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 4, 2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

I wouldn't recommend leaving and air space between black powder and your bullet. Black powder prefers to be slightly compressed.

When I loaded .44 mag with BP I filled the case just enough the powder would slightly compress( about a 10th of an inch) when I seated that the bullet.

Boomer
Old October 5, 2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

NEVER leave airspace between the powder and bullet. You could end up with a pressure ring in the chamber or barrel.

You may want to look at a bullet that is specifically for black powder shooting. Most modern designs don't hold enough grease, which is critical to keeping the fouling workable.

Friend of mine used to load "grease cookies" under his bullets.

Layer of wax paper in a pan, layer of whatever lube he was using, then another layer of wax paper.

Whole thing went in the freezer until it was hard enough that he could cut the cookies.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.