The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 9, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Is it just me or...

... do FN Herstal make pretty amazing guns, both from the point of view of performance and innovation?

I like innovation.
I like it when people come at a problem from a completely new angle and manage to make look really obvious in the process!!

I just watch the Military Arms Channel video for the F2000 and SCAR rifles.

That F2000 is a seriously cool looking bit of kit and makes firing full-auto really easy!!

I wanna go on one!!
Old November 9, 2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Crow Hunter

Actually, I would say they are really not very innovative at all.

The gas piston used in both the FS2000 and the SCAR is basically a AR-18 piston.

The bolt head used in both is a near copy of the AR-15 bolt head with some improved geometry.

The bolt carrier/guts of the SCAR is almost identical to the FNC they released WAY back in the 1960s.

Their handguns are just run of the mill modified Browning actions like most every other handgun out there.

Their FN-MAG 58 was pretty innovative, back in 1958, but they have just been tweaking it here and there to make the M249 and the M240.

The FS 2000 method of brass ejection was pretty innovative. The P90 was pretty innovative too.

But most of their guns are pretty "run of the mill" reworks of old designs. But they seem to work.

Good luck.
Old November 9, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
alex0535

We have an old Fabrique Nationale 12 gauge. Seems like it would do the job if it were ever needed against a home invader.

I like their handguns and how easily they can be taken down. Most break down into barrel, slide, and receiver. I like this simplicity.

I wish they did not have such a cornered market on the 5.7x28mm with the five-seven. Its such a high performance round, and none of the other companies seem to want to deal with the flack from producing a gun chambered in 5.7x28 because some people decided to whine about it being an effective weapon.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Yung.gunr

What about the Five SeveN? Would you call that innovative? I don't know if I would be interested in buying one based on the price for the gun and the proprietary ammo. But, I feel it is interesting and innovative.

I have really only handled/shot an FNP9 that my brother has. It seems pretty nice. Seems very well made and I really like the way it fits in my hand. Don't think I would it innovative though.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:49 PM   #5
alex0535

^I call the Five-Seven innovative.

Its the only 5.7x28 handgun (wish it wasn't the only one)
Completely ambidextrous safety and mag release (as a left handed shooter that is major bonus)
Huge capacity for a handgun with a 20 round clip
Under barrel rail for laser or tac light
Disassembles into 3 main parts
I have never heard of one jamming
30% less recoil than 9mm
Hits almost as hard as a .357 magnum

What more could you ask for in a handgun? I get it that some people like big heavy slow moving bullets from their hangun. But I know what a fast moving 40 grain v-max does when it impacts flesh and it should only take one well placed shot to dispatch a threat with it. If it doesn't you have 19 more chances before you have to reload.
Old November 10, 2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

I confess to know ing a great deal about the company, and so many of it models are unknown to me, but when I think about FN, I do think 5-7, F2000, P90 and those three are innovative, even if for the F2000 it is only the ejection port: they thought outside the box.

That is why I feel they are innovative, even if they don't do it for every model.