The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 6, 2010, 07:28 AM   #1
alloy

Black Bear techniques

Lot of bear around here....mostly just run them with dogs for the dogs themselves.
But this morning since it's 16 degrees, I used an different technique, called warming up the truck.
Scared him out of the truck, at 6.30....apparently he was going for a smoke.

Poked a couple of holes in my seat, and left me two burrs in trade, a good reason to lock your doors....just thought I'd share, since Mondays are what they are.....Mondays.
Old December 6, 2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Gbro

Wow,
You got off lucky with little damage.
You are saying this bruin opened the door?
I once got up to find a meth head in my truck. I had left it locked and had an 870 and a ruger single six in the truck also. The shot-gun case was ripped from end to end and the revolver was removed from the case, the ignition was almost ripped out. He even found my old neighbor in the urn under the seat and had the ashes tossed all over the truck.
The thing that was most evident was the stench of the meth head himself, it was terrible. so you fared better than I did with your visitor.
Old December 6, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
jmr40

Several years ago my brother and I went for a day hike in N Georgia. Got to the trail head just before daylight and spotted a bear in the road near the parking lot.

It had rained hard the night before and we noticed one of the trucks parked near us was filthy. Didn't pay a lot of attention at the time because we wanted to get started.

Later that afternoon when we returned I took a closer look at the filthy truck and realized that the bear had found a 50lb bag of dog food in the bed and had dragged it onto the roof of the cab, lay down and had helped himself. The rain during the night had dissolved the dog food causing it to run down all over the truck.

There were bear prints all over the other vehicles in the lot where the bear had looked in the windows and beds of all of them.
Old December 6, 2010, 03:19 PM   #4
alloy

Quote:
You are saying this bruin opened the door?
Gotta say yes unless someone opened it for him. I got some firewood around 11pm, and the door wasn't open(parked right next to the woodpile) or I would have seen that bright lite glowing.
They have a reputation for this kind of stuff around here, one pushed thru a screen window last year and ran thru the living room when the neighbors came home, that was a young one....I can't leave a bag of trash in the truck overnight or they'll spread it around the yard that's happened several times.
Forgot to mention this one today liked Nacho Cheese Doritos because he drug an empty bag out of the truck.

Common nuisance here, but until one roots around in your truck....
Old December 6, 2010, 03:36 PM   #5
jhog1

Ford F-150 ?
Old December 6, 2010, 03:43 PM   #6
alloy

Dodge Ram. They partial to Fords?
Old December 6, 2010, 07:53 PM   #7
ACP230

When my folks were on their honeymoon a bear got into Dad's '49 Ford convertible in Yellowstone National Park. It just reached in and shoved the window down. There was some bakery in the car and the bear smelled it out.

My Dad ran the bear off by opening one car door and beating on the other one and yelling.
Old December 7, 2010, 02:23 PM   #8
output

WOW... I bet that got your blood pumping!

How would you like to find this in your tree stand waiting for you? LOL

Old December 8, 2010, 06:55 AM   #9
alloy

Woah! Actually wouldn't be bad if you were bear hunting, but not if it was a deer day.

Round here they are a pest. We try to trap them and move them off, but it's a constant thing. Have had a mother with a pair of year olds trailing...eating the azaleas about 20 feet from my front porch(raised balcony) while my Doberman was going CRAZY. Bear just looked at us and went back to munching. So the cubs learn the same.

I don't trust them, they are used to people and they don't act like normal bears.
Old December 8, 2010, 12:56 PM   #10
jhog1

Quote:
Dodge Ram. They partial to Fords?
Don't think so..... it just looks like the same interior as an F-150 I owned

Quote:
Round here they are a pest
Where's Round here
Old December 8, 2010, 03:18 PM   #11
youp

That is pretty cool.

I have a buddy that had an old Dodge Ramcharger. Dark green heavily oxidized paint. He parked the truck and went partridge (ruffed grouse) hunting. As he was some distance away he heard a pack of dogs heading his way. The stopped briefly at his vehicle and then left out of hearing fast. There in the oxidized paint for all to see were small bear tracks and several dog tracks. We sure would have liked to see that show.
Old December 8, 2010, 03:34 PM   #12
alloy

Quote:
Where's Round here
George Washington National Forest, Virginia.
Old December 9, 2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Deerhunter

@alloy

I would be more than happy to head that way and take care of them for you. I got no problem climbing a tree and shooting one with a bow. Just need a place to do it. How far is that from Northern VA....Fairfax County area?