The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1
jolson11

Help Please: .357 Mag Loads Revolver vs Rifle

Hi all,
First time actually posting on the forum. I've thoroughly enjoyed viewing it in the past and have admired all the sound (usually) advice. I've been reloading for a few years now for rifle cartridges, but I'm just getting into loading for my new revolver and looking to buy a .357 carbine as well. I have a few questions for those on this forum wiser than I. You'll have to forgive me if they've been answered/covered before. I searched and couldn't come up with anything more than a mention or two for each topic, not an entire thread. If there's one that I don't know about I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it. Again, sorry if it's a repeat, but thanks for any advice!

My questions are as follows:

1) Anybody have any good load suggestions for a 125 gr Hornady XTP using Alliant Unique powder for a revolver (6" barrel) or rifle (16-18" barrel)? My load books don't list the XTP/Unique combination (if they have the bullet, they don't list it with the powder, etc). I know I'm going to get a bunch of 2400 and H-110 fans here, but I'm not trying to push it to its limit quite yet. I'd like a mid-range load, and I think Unique would be nice given its flexibility within loads and between calibers. Yes, I am looking to move up to the 158 gr, but I thought the 125 gr might be a little more forgiving for a start despite the shorter bullet length. Or could anyone point me toward a loading manual that might cover such things (thinking about buying the two Lyman manuals)?

I've seen on the Alliant website where they list several recipes for the .357 using Speer Gold Dot bullets, but I've read that these recipes aren't interchangeable because the jacket on the GD's is much softer. I've also read that they are interchangeable. There's a lot of conflicting opinions out there...

2) My Hornady loading book has separate sections for .357 Handgun and .357 Rifle rounds. Is this a real worry? I mean, you don't see rounds for sale in shops delineating rifle or revolver do you? I think it may be because the handgun rounds can be pushed further with less pressure and they just want to make sure you don't push it too far in a rifle? Is this something to really worry about with mid power loads? Need to use a slower burning powder for a rifle?

Thanks yall,
-JO
Old November 15, 2010, 12:23 AM   #2
Jim243

Jo

If you are loading for a Marlin 1894C rifle or a Rossi Model 92, you should be able to use a standard 357 Mag round if the rifle is chambered in 357 mag/38 spl.

The OAL and twist rate are identical for both the revolver and rifle. You will get more fps from the rifle because of the longer barrel.

Yes there are two different loads listed in the Hornady book (Rifle page 601 & revolver page 823) and it is for the same bullet. Why, I do not know.

But here is what I would do.

1st: USE 2400 powder. Go out and buy a pound for $18.95, it REALLLLY is what you should use for 357 Mag. For years I used Win 231 till a friend talked me into buying a pound. It does make a difference.

2nd: Use the load data on page 601 of 15.0 grains. This should give you 1,775 fps from the rifle and a little over 1,300 fps from your pistol. Both with in safe ranges of the caliber. Or you could use two different loads, one for revolver and one for rifle, you will just need to be careful which is which when loading your weapons.

Best advice I can give.
Jim
Old November 15, 2010, 06:24 AM   #3
spacecoast

Welcome to TFL. As you know, Alliant lists a load of 9.6 grains of unique for a 125 GDHP with an OAL of 1.58 inches. That should work pretty well, but you can back off a bit if you are worried about bullet differences.

I use H110 and 158 gr JHPs for hot loads for 686. 158 seems to be less wearing on revolvers. H110 has a pretty narrow range of min to max loads and requires magnum primers.

I wouldn't worry about the difference in rifle and revolver loads, at least to begin with. AFAIK the carbine is genially stronger than the revolver but the velocity difference is mostly from the barrel length. Besides, it may not be a good idea to create carbine-only loads from a safety perspective in case they get into the wrong hands.

Last edited by spacecoast; November 15, 2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:28 AM   #4
jolson11

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. I will definitely take that advice and buy the 2400 powder. I was just trying to force the Unique since I have a bottle of it...I know, I know. Having not used magnum primers before (I have about 750 SP primers on hand) and seeing the small range of min and max loads with H-110, I think I'll probably stick to 2400 for the time being but I may move up after some experimenting. Though if I like what you've suggested with the 2400 and find a decent load, I'll probably be perfectly happy with that.

Also thanks for helping me with the rifle/handgun dilemma. I was home this weekend and just glanced in my Hornady manual and noticed the discrepancy, but did not delve into it any further to see if/how the charts differed. I was on my way out the door to the deer stand.

Thanks again for the advice and happy hunting/shooting/reloading. Yall have a good one.
-JO