The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 20, 2009, 01:39 AM   #26
Firepower!

I sort of agree with greensteelforge.

I live in Pakistan where currently things are rough as our army is moving in for a final kill in Waziristan agencies. I dont feel the need to carry my gun in my own driveway or chamber the round everytime some one kocks or rings bell in the middle of the afternoon.

I lived in the US for 11 years and never felt the need to be armed while opening door. Then, I lived in good neighbourhoods.

Next time I am in the US I am not knocking on anyone's door since some trigger happy lunitic might shoot me and claim sd against a Pakistani guy who streotypically looks like all those terrorists on FOX News.
Old October 20, 2009, 03:45 AM   #27
omkhan

come on FP, as far as I know/ heard about you, you are surrounded by guards most of the time & keep M4s & AKs in the trunk

Steelforge, by your logic, since you have come back from a war and survived, every 1 else must have been that lucky?

The point of carrying most/ all the times come as "Its better to have it and not need it rather than needing it and not having it". So if one can carry legally, he/ she better do that. There is a huge difference between being prepared and being scared.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:33 AM   #28
Sixer

I can see where greensteelforge is coming from... and although I have CCW nearly 24/7, I have never grabbed my gun deliberately because of a knock on the door. If there is a knock on the door I just check the peep hole to see who it is.

I'm never too far from a pistola, but I personally don't feel the need to have a loaded 12ga behind my back every time the doorbell rings. I'm not old or grumpy enough (yet) to give the whole "State your name and business" line whilst toting a loaded firearm at my own front door.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:15 AM   #29
Piper Cub

FP what about all the machine guns you have said you have?
Old October 20, 2009, 07:41 AM   #30
TailGator

Quote:
If you don't need it, never have, and acknowledge that the threat has never materialized, then the threat is not prevalent enough to warrant going armed.
If we read the postings from greensteelforge charitably, he is trying to tell us not to let our worries about security ruin our lives. That is reasonable enough, but he goes too far in asserting that consideration of and preparation for security threats equates with mental illness. His premise is to assert that nothing that has not happened before will ever happen (see above quote), which is wholly illogical. When one begins with a false premise, one reaches false conclusions. Using his logic, since he had not been shot before going in the military, he was immune from harm and therefore need not be issued firearms, body armor, or any other gear of war. None of us have yet died; we are therefore immortal. It is flawed logic, that is all. But the reminder that guns are tools, not the center of our lives, is valid and valuable. The life we seek to preserve should not be one of constant unmitigated fear and dread.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:46 AM   #31
Firepower!

Well I have good number of weapons, but a knock on the door at 3pm is just a knock on the door. Perhaps its some one who has come to inform of tea time.

OmKhan, if yiu swing by ISB do let me know.
Old October 20, 2009, 08:32 PM   #32
feldspar13

I am generally armed if I am awake
Old October 20, 2009, 08:56 PM   #33
DonR

too much dangerous scum out there to be friendly

I quite answering the door years ago. Literally. If someone knocks at my door & they have not called ahead, I do not answer the door. I have no concern at all about what the person knocking on the door may think about it.

I always let phone calls go to message, 100% of the time.

If the TV is on I don't make any attempt to lower the volume either, I just don't answer it. It has been my experience that if you don't know someone is coming to your door, the probability of answering it and having something good happen is fairly low.

In this day & age, when answering a door (if you choose to answer it) a pocket pistol in your shooting hand pocket & with a shirt-tail out: or in the middle of your back with a shirt over it, would be what I would recommend.

It is always a good idea to open the door with your extended left hand, and stand slightly to the right side with both of your feet outside of the inward opening arc of the door. Then if someone kicks or pushes your door open, your left hand is the only contact point.

There is too much dangerous scum out there to be friendly when you answer the door.
Old October 20, 2009, 09:21 PM   #34
Dr. Strangelove

Another one of these, Really?

Op asks question.

Responses range from "your a fool if you don't have a tripod mounted M2 trained on the door and open it remotely" to "just open the darn door".

Much bickering and personal attacks ensue.

Arguments about carry, some apparently won't take a step out of bed without wearing a gun, others never carry.

More bickering and name calling.

Thread ends up being closed due to veering into personal attacks.

There is no right or wrong answer to this one, folks. It's a personal decision based on what makes each individual safe. If you feel like you need to open the door with a weapon in your hand, do it that way. If you don't, then don't. No one can tell you what is right or wrong in your own personal situation.
Old October 20, 2009, 09:42 PM   #35
Willie Lowman

I just shout down the stairs "enter!"

That way I am in a tactically superior position to fire my M2HB on the Boy Scout selling popcorn that has made it to the edge of town.
Old October 20, 2009, 09:51 PM   #36
Farmland

I had to laugh reading through some of these but in all honesty if there is a knock on the door at 3:00 PM I'm going to look and see who it is first. In fact if it was 3:00 Am I would do the same thing. I do think the crack about Fox news is in poor taste, not sure why it hasn't been edited but that is the staffs judgment.

I live pretty far out in the sticks, anyone that doesn't look like a farmer is out of place. The only exception would be the guy who drives the big brown truck. However that doesn't mean I treat anyone as a threat but I do use some caution.

I figure it is everyone's choice on how they want to answer the door, armed or not armed. I don't carry that much because I coach girls varsity basketball. It wouldn't print so well if some one saw me carrying a gun during the season.

Now what you don't see and don't know is a different story. To be honest we don't get that many people that we don't know driving up the farm lane. I think people see a farm and think guns. There are easier targets like the city folks in the new homes in the country.

While I would be more inclined to answer a late knock on the door at 3:00AM with my gun I would make darn sure who it was prior to taking it out of the holster. During the day I would look and see if it warranted having my gun near by. If I don't know you I just might have it with me.

I don't carry during the day because it isn't practical doing farm work. Though I have a nice rifle in the cab of the tractor that is used for groundhogs and coyotes more than anything else.

The best thing is that no one ever see's my gun and I like to keep it that way. Anyway you choose to do it is the correct thing for you.
Old October 20, 2009, 11:06 PM   #37
pax

After deleting yet another "noise, no signal" post, I'm closing this one.

Too bad. Maybe next time.

pax
Closed Thread