The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2007, 09:31 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Anyone else skunked opening turkey day in OK?

Man, yesterday was weird. We're having lows in the mid-20s and highs in the mid-40s here, and moderately high winds at times to boot. I did not hear a SINGLE gobble on opening day, despite my best efforts to elicit them, and despite the fact that the last 2 weekends down there I heard multiple gobbles. I think the cold has shut down their mating instinct entirely.

I only saw one turkey - this one hen got *really* worked up by my calls & hen decoy for some reason - I guess she was the boss hen and didn't want other hens in her area. She came over and knocked down my decoy, and just clucked incessantly for like 10 minutes. Of course I agitated her by continuing to cluck & yelp. She stayed in the area for another 15 minutes without clucking before leaving. Got within about 6 yards of me. Kept circling all the way around me. Oh, then it started SNOWING lightly, which seemed extremely weird sitting there amongst lush green vegetation on Apr. 6 - kinda surreal. So cold I came home - I wasn't ready to spend another night in that weather - thurs night was bad enough. Kinda bummed because I can't hunt next weekend. Sure hope they're still mating weekend after next. Anyone in OK get a gobbler?
Old April 7, 2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Desertfox

I hunted Friday all day. I also had weather in the 20-30 range. Howling winds and overcast skies kept the birds from talking.

We covered about 15 miles on foot of the Kiamichi mountains, by Big Cedar and could not get a bird to answer. We set up for 45 mins. in a number of places we knew birds were the days before. Nothing coming to calls.

Finally about 5:30 with a runny nose and chilly butt, I headed for home.

I jumped 3 hens walking to the truck. No toms or jakes. My next chance is next weekend. I will let you know how it goes. Work is taking up my season.

I am gonna try and put a tom to bed Saturday evening and work him Sunday morning. Fingers crossed!
Old April 8, 2007, 11:15 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

ok, DF, you confirmed my suspicions - bah - were you going after them with bow or gun? Good luck. I'm getting up at 3am this Wednesday to run down there and try to get one in the morning before having to be back at work by Wed afternoon....supposed to warm up nicely Tues and beyond, so they'll be in the mating mood.
Old April 9, 2007, 06:06 AM   #4
Desertfox

Opening weekend was supposed to bag me a shotgun tom. After that I was going on the archery pursuit of a long beard from a double bull blind.

Now I am just after a tom. Shotgun in hand.
Old April 11, 2007, 12:09 AM   #5
ENC

My father in law went with a few friends out in Elk City. they saw some turkeys but nobody killed a bird.

Evan
Old April 11, 2007, 04:36 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Went again this morning; still no bird in hand, but at least they were gobbling today; after they quit gobbling around 8am, I went to re-position to this big field, since it was getting windy, and in the process walked up on 2 toms strutting silently with 1 or 2 hens in the field, but had to freeze when I saw them (and vice versa), and they walked off. Had 2 different toms cutting off my calls around 645-700am, but they wouldn't come in. Sounded like one of them got within 60-75 yards, but no dice. Had a hen come up behind my blind (couldn't see her), and got her to help a couple times by doing some cutting calls. Will try again on 20-21st. Least now I know where one pack of them is roosting (approximately) - heard them fly down about 125 yards from where I was. These dang Eastern birds are tough - they're not very vocal & I was probably calling too much. But I guess the point of the thread was how the weather can radically and abruptly change mating behavior, not just me rambling...
Old April 11, 2007, 06:25 PM   #7
Desertfox

Ramble on F.F.
Most of your ramblings make more sense and have more information in them than most posts.
I am going again Sunday.(first day off since last Sunday)

I hope the warmer weather and calmer winds make it a success story.
Old April 13, 2007, 08:01 PM   #8
wolverine350

I'm in Ponca City Oklahoma the weather has been terrible, only been able to call up a hen, its like the Toms are hibernating
Old April 13, 2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Desertfox

It isn't looking good for a weekend hunt this weekend either. The weather gods are not smiling on the turkey hunters this year.