The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1
ChancePendergrass

Any Ideas

Im About To Purchase A Lee Load All Shotgun Shell Reloader And I Dont Know How To Set Up The Powder Measures On It I Want To Load Just 2 3/4 #8 Birdshot I Want To Get Into Reloading So This Seems To Be A Good Start What Do I Set The Loader To?
Chance Pendergrass
Old July 28, 2009, 08:52 AM   #2
jmorris

Most shot shell loaders do not use adjustable powder measures instead they use bushings. To choose the proper bushing you find load data for the primer, hull, wad and shot charge you are going to use and match it with the velocity that you are looking to achieve.
If the machine didn’t come with a selection of bushings your powder may choose you so, hold off on buying components until you know what you need.

I just did a little checking and once it arrives you'll have what you need.
Quote:
Included Free of Charge
Safety Charge Bar with 24 Shot and Powder bushings. Impossible to accidentally use the bar without the bushings in place. Bushing size is visible from front of machine. Includes charge table showing extensive powder data.
from here
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/loadall.html
Old July 28, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
oneounceload

Do you have any reloading books? They can help. I bought one of those loaders when I first started out decades ago. If you're reloading a few boxes for bird season, it will do OK. If you're going to get into more target shooting, etc., a move up to at least a MEC Jr. will be happening soon. If you get a used one, it might run you about what your Lee will be new. Something to consider. You'll also want a scale to verify the powder dropping is correct. You will need to follow the recipes - don't go changing components without verifying that they are an acceptable substitution
Old July 28, 2009, 08:58 PM   #4
aerod1

The "Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook 5th edition" and "ABC's of Reloading" are good places to start. That's what I did. Then if you have questions you can check out the internet hive mind.
Both shotshell and metallic cartridge reloading are fun. Have a great time and be safe.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)

Tags
lee load all help