The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2006, 03:46 PM   #1
1Longbow

FBI Carry

Can I ask the advantages of the FBI carry as opposed to straight up and down carry as it pertains to holsters. Is one better than the other?and why.
Thanks --1Longbow
Old June 12, 2006, 01:00 AM   #2
choochboost

The cant makes it more concealable.
Old June 14, 2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

One complaint patrol officers have had with various sidearms over the years is the butt poking them in the ribs when they sit in a car. This is at its most extreme when the gun is vertical on the belt, so cant in either direction tends to relieve it. You would think the shoulder holster would be the solution to both concealment and rib poking, but weapon retention concerns have caused it to lose favor in many quarters.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 17, 2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Rainbow Six

I actually wish I could find a quality security duty holster with a reverse cant. I don't care for the forward cant and not crazy about the straight drop. A slight reverse cant with it worn just forward of 3 o'clock (right handed) on the duty belt would be more comfortable and MUCH faster for me. Off duty I use a Blackhawk CQB Serpa set to a slight reverse cant and I love it. If I could get a SSIII or something similar that would adjust to a slight reverse cant I'd be one happy camper.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old June 24, 2006, 01:59 AM   #5
guntotin_fool

A top forward cant allows the carrier to be able to draw while seated in a car. A top rearward cant means that the pistol butt will engage the seat of the automobile when drawn while sitting down.

Further by tilting the gun forward, the heigth of the gun (the distance between a line from the botttom of the grip to the end of the barrel and a parrallel line over the highest point on the gun) is reduced to where on most people this can be discretely hidden with normal clothes. IT was also determined that when trainees were given these holsters vs plumb straight, cross drawn etc. Candidates could be come proficient very fast. and outstanding in a year or so.