The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Prescription Shooting Glasses for Shotgun Only

I finally am going to get some shooting glasses, that will only be used for shooting shotguns and 99.99% of the time shooting clay. Perhaps someday I will give some form of hunting a try, but presently I don't hunt.

So I need to pick a brand and type of shooting glasses. Ducot seems to be the most popular and a good solid choice. I am also interested in Randolph Engineering's Sporter Rx; the ones with with an insert that holds clear Rx lenses and allows you to switch colored clip ons. http://www.randolphusa.com/product-categories/ranger/
I almost bought some Barry Allens until the dealer told me that he now represented antoher company. I beleive it was Post 4.

Some have adjustable nose pieces but I am wondering if they are worth getting if you only shoot shotgun. I tried getting a set of street glasses with larger lenses, but whenn shooting shotgun I am still looking above the optical center.

Does anyone have any recommendations or warnings what to stay away from?

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:03 PM   #2
jmortimer

Evil Roy recommends Wiley X
http://www.evilroy.com/store/index.p...products_id=91
Old June 27, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
oneounceload

I use Randolph's with my contacts, two others use them with the insert - they love it because they get to keep and use all of their colored lenses all they need to change if their scrip changes, is the insert.

Get some good colors like yellow, light purple and the CMT and you can also use them for driving - especially the yellow at night
Old June 28, 2012, 01:49 AM   #4
TheKlawMan

FWIW, I mispoke when I wrote that the Randolph Enrineering Sport RX have a clear insert. It appears that it isn't an insert but a pair of glasses that the colored lenses clip onto.

{Aargh!!! Their are Randolph Engineering glasses with an insert. The Sport Rx have no insert and use clip ons, while their XLW can take the inserts.)

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:17 AM   #5
Virginian

I don't know what prescription you need, but I finally settled on full lens 1.75 diopter regular inexpensive safety glasses. I have one pair with tinted smoke lenses and one clear. I added a couple of those little nose pads and that made them sit just enough higher. And when they get dripping wet with sweat and I break them drying them off for the 247th time I am so glad they are cheap.
Old June 28, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
zippy13

Quote:
Some have adjustable nose pieces but I am wondering if they are worth getting if you only shoot shotgun.
The only shooter I know who used an adjustable nose piece wore the same Decots (bifocals, IIRC) for everyday wear and for shotgunning. When he got to the range, he lowered the nose piece.

Quote:
...ones with with an insert that holds clear Rx lenses and allows you to switch colored clip ons
I got my first Decots before I shot with prescription lenses and had several tints. Since I went to the RXs I've bought only one tint. For RX wearers, the double system, like the Randolphs, might be a solution; but, I see a possible problem when it rains -- how quickly can you wipe down the dual lens glasses?
Old June 28, 2012, 12:57 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
I see a possible problem when it rains -- how quickly can you wipe down the dual lens glasses?
That's why you wear a hat - keep the sun or the rain out.......
Old June 28, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

Good point, Zippy. I likely will only need one tint.
Old June 28, 2012, 01:37 PM   #9
zincwarrior

I can't tell how expensive those are. If money is an issue I know (because I just bought some) that you can buy prescription sports glasses at Walmart for $60.

Last edited by zincwarrior; June 28, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 01:41 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
Good point, Zippy. I likely will only need one tint.
MAJOR difference between shooting when there is a bright cloudless day and when it is a gray overcast one TKM.....and if you start shooting in any type of fun night league, you just added a third completely different scenario

Most folks who shoot no matter the skies prefer some form of bronze/dark/blue blocker color (Randolph's CMT lens makes orange targets GLOW in bright sun), along with a light purple or similar for cloudy days and a yellow or clear for night or really dark conditions under lights
Old June 28, 2012, 02:15 PM   #11
BigJimP

DeCot HyWyd is what I recommend...

but you'll need more than one tint...depending on time of year, where you shoot, sometimes under the lights if you shoot at nite, etc....

a. for bright sunlight days...a V light or purple probably...maybe a polarized lens as well.
b. for overcast days...some type of target orange...
c. for night shooting under the lights / or in the trees or in heavy shadows on some wooded courses...a light yellow / gold color and maybe a clear...( not a factor for Trap or skeet - unless you shoot at night )...but a lot of sporting courses....have some stations out in the sunlight / some back in the trees in the heavy shadows...

depending on your prescription ...frames are about $ 125 / a pair of lenses is about $ 140 ( so 3 pairs will be about $ 420 ) ...so you should be able to get what you need for about $ 600.

long term ...change just the lenses ...as your eyes change. You can go cheaper ...but not better.../ DeCot understands the shooters needs ...and how to fit them --- and with bifoculs or not, etc.../ way better product than a typical optical shop, wal mart, etc...
Old June 28, 2012, 04:37 PM   #12
TheKlawMan

Thanks for all the ideas. Called a couple of places, Ducot and TexasShootersOptical, and was pleased with how straight forward the folks at both are about their product. Given how much trouble I have had with seeing well it is time to bite the bullet and get some dedicated glasses. Besides seeing better, I also like the idea of wider protection than standard lenses afford. (These friggin glasses will cost as much or more than my first shotgun, the 870 Express.)
Old June 28, 2012, 05:18 PM   #13
BigJimP

Ok, .....but then again, decent boat anchors ...cost more than you paid for the 870 ...

Its your eyes man ....don't go cheap !! Glasses will last you 20+ yrs....look how much you spend on shells in 1 Yr ( 6 boxes a week X 40 wks a yr X
$ 4 a box...) or almost a $ 1,000 a year ....x 20 yrs....

good glasses, are a smart --- and good investment....
Old June 28, 2012, 05:52 PM   #14
LSnSC

IMO, You dont need different sets of glasses. One set with multicolored clip ons work fine. I wear a set of Randolf prescription Rangers. I like them so much I wear them 24/7.
Get them with a light yellow tint them your choice of tinted clip ons. Since the clip ons have no RX they are very thin and add practically no weight. I have a polarized set and an orange set. That covers everything from a bright day in the September sun shooting doves to shooting skeet under the lights.
I sent my RX to Morgan Sport Optical in New York and had my glasses in a week. They are shooters and understand what you need.

I had a set of shooting glasses with the inserts. IMO, THEY SUCK!
Old June 28, 2012, 08:07 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

What was it about the shooters with inserts that you didn't like, LSnSC? I am confused about the light yellow tint. Are you saying that the prescripton lenses are light yellow and then got a set of polorized and a set of orange clip ons? Using them 24/7 is what I thought of doing a year ago, but thought that may not work too well with my script
Old June 28, 2012, 08:16 PM   #16
oneounceload

TSO is where I and my friends got their RE glasses - he even exchanged some colored lenses for others when a friend didn't like what he ordered

Talk to the man, he can help a lot
Old June 28, 2012, 09:23 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

Oneounce, I remembered that you got your glasses from Tom at TSO and did call him. He was out so I sent him an email not long ago. (Add by edit: And he already got back to me by e-mail although it would have been after 9PM in Texas.)

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 28, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old July 5, 2012, 03:45 AM   #18
TheKlawMan

I deleted this post as I only had a question because I misread one of Zippy's posts. I can't even blame that on being on a diet as I ate well this 4th.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; July 5, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old July 5, 2012, 07:00 AM   #19
Al Den

I still use Ray Ban Shooters. They are a yellow-brown transition type lens -- no inserts. Wraparound temples. The point is the frame/nose is designed to put your eye in the center of the glass when your head is down on a longarm stock. They sit way high otherwise. The Ray Ban Shooter frames were 50% more metal than the standard frames which were quality sunglass frames to begin with. Randolphs were a good alternative given the price.

Find transition type lens' if ya can and don't look back...
Old July 5, 2012, 07:22 AM   #20
LSnSC

The RX lenses in the glasses have a light yellow tint. That tint is very versatile. Good for shooting indoors, driving at night, shooting on overcast days, etc.
I have two sets of clip ons( non RX). One orange i use for 90% of my clay shooting, and and one bronze polarized, I use like sunglasses.
FWIW The glasses with inserts made me feel as if I was looking through a tube.
Old July 5, 2012, 12:02 PM   #21
zippy13

Quote:
FWIW The glasses with inserts made me feel as if I was looking through a tube.
LSnSC. I've never used them, do you think they hindered your target acquisition on crossing shots?
Old July 5, 2012, 03:32 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

Al, I din't even know there is such a thing as Ray Ban shooters and will google them. They wouldn't be perfect, but I could probably get by pretty well with my street glasses if not for the problem with the centering the eye. Mine is not only not centered, if I don't use a very erect stance and mount get into the gun, I am looking over the tops of my frames. The particular frames were chosen since they rode the highest on my face. The stuyle is what I call pilots glasses like the old Ray Bans.
Old July 5, 2012, 06:03 PM   #23
Al Den

Had them forever. Notice how relatively low the nose-pads are compared to regular aviator frames. Just another option for you to try.

Not sure who might be doing a yellow to gray transition anymore...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ray Ban Shooters.jpg (5.3 KB, 39 views)
Old July 5, 2012, 08:42 PM   #24
TheKlawMan

I see what you mean, Al. 10 minutes ago I tried bending the pads on my old glasses to raise them up. It helped but would not get the flasses high enough (partialy due to smell lenses). Also, the top of the nose pads are a good .5" down from the top of the lenses of my old glasses. My oresent ones, the ones I bought for street that should have been better, are perhaps .25" more from their tops, but that 1/4" is all the difference in the world. I will look around for those Raybans (and I notice they have a brow bar).
Old July 5, 2012, 08:47 PM   #25
Al Den

Klaw -- you will NOT find them on a rack in drug store if that's what you mean. They are poor (and look silly) for anything but shooting longarms and are bought through specialty channels. And they're not cheap. Sorry.