The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 15, 2014, 08:21 PM   #1
gbclarkson

Speed Loader for J-frame

All,

I just bought a S&W 638 and I need speedloaders. I always buy HKS but CTD sells Safariland and Comp II also. What is the difference? Is there a reason to prefer one over the others? Should I continue with HKS because of familiarity and consistency with my other revolvers? Am I over-thinking an $8 item? As always, I look forward to comments and advice.

Thanks
Old December 15, 2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Sharkbite

HKS are more readily available but i have always preferred the Safariland speedloader.

The internal star release mechanism is less prone to inadvertently release the rounds. I have seen way too many HKS loaders get the knob turned and release the rounds prematurely.

Back when T-rex walked the earth my agency issued Safariland compII's. I would use Comp I's for a little J frame BUG or CCW type carry. No need for the larger knob. Although the larger knob does make it easier to load the loader.

So Safariland comp I's is the way to go. IMHO
Old December 15, 2014, 09:50 PM   #3
JAREDSHS

also if your 638 has the current rubber grips the speedloaders will not work.
Old December 15, 2014, 10:30 PM   #4
JERRYS.

Sharkbite nailed it.
Old December 15, 2014, 11:17 PM   #5
Model12Win

I really like the Safariland Comp IIs and have them for my K frame and Ruger GP100. They work especially well on the Ruger.

For your J-frame, I personally haven't tried the Safariland Comp I with it but that's only because I've been very happy with the HKS-36's I have for it. Seems to work super well, drops em right in there. Sometimes on the larger HKS loaders you get a round that doesn't want to fall in and you have to give it a shake, but for some reason the small HKS-36s seem to always load so smooth.

But, if the Comp I for J-frames are as good as the larger Comp IIs, they would be superior IMHO.
Old December 16, 2014, 09:39 AM   #6
kraigwy

I'm with Model12Win:

The HKS hang up on the (CT) Grips on my 642, the Safariland Comp I's don't, they work, they shoot the rounds into the chamber quickly smoothly.

Also the Comp I's are smaller and easier to carry concealed.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 16, 2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Speed Loader for J-frame?
Oh, just carry another J frame. Far faster reload and not much bulkier than a speedloader.

Deaf
Old December 16, 2014, 11:06 PM   #8
DannyB1954

I have the Five Star brand speed loaders and they work well with my J frames. The difference with them is that they are not round, so you can get the center of the loader closer to the center of the cylinder. Another difference is most speed loaders unlock by turning the knob counterclockwise, The 5 star is clockwise. If you use a mixture of speed loaders for your other guns, this can mess with you a bit.

http://www.5starfirearms.com/J2-357_...fo/J235705000/

They offer machined blocks to hold several of the loaded speed loaders, but they are really unnecessary. mostly for bedside or range bench use. http://www.5starfirearms.com/J2-357_...fo/J235705110/

Last edited by DannyB1954; December 16, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old December 17, 2014, 11:54 AM   #9
eveled

I agree a second identical J frame is a great option. They balance so nicely in my jacket pockets. I only use 5star speed loaders they are awesome. Ed
Old December 17, 2014, 09:43 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Sharkbite is giving excellent advice.

I have HKS - I carry a Smith 36 J frame snub and prior to that, I utilized the same HKS loaders on a Ruger 357 LCR. I have to tell you . . . the HKS drives me nuts for just the reason that Sharkbite states. It's cramped enough to angle the loader in regards to the empty chambers and get clearance to drop the cartridges in. I have dumped the cartridges many times . . sort of makes you feel foolish and inept but what worries me more is the thought of "what if I had to reload in a stressful situation?"

I haven't tried the other loaders mention but I want to at some point. It may sound foolish but I feel more confident using a dump pouch with 6 38s in it and that at least gives me a "spare". I do practice with "dummy rounds" that I've loaded up (no powder and spent primer) and have gotten to the point where I can do pretty well with the dump pouch - trying to speed up loading with my HKS I just do a good job of fertilizing the floor with loaded rounds.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63