The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
TunnelRat

SIG P227

Hi all,
Came across this today:

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...ig-sauer-p227/

Was curious what others thought. IF it really is only the width of a P226 that would be pretty interesting. One thing I noticed was that in the article they mention extended 14 rd magazines, but they don't seem to mention what the standard capacity would be.

Is this P227 idea good, bad, indifferent? Personally I'm a bit intrigued if at least for the fact it isn't just a new color .

-TR
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; November 13, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
sailskidrive

Wooo hooo! Preorder!

...just when you think you're cured, they feed the SIG-ness.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old November 13, 2012, 05:58 PM   #3
stingray2100

That sir is a good sickness...!

to hell and back with that sickness...may you never get a cure!.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
BrokenBottles

Just when I thought I was certain to not want a non-1911 .45ACP Sig thorws this into the world...
Not cool, Sig; not cool...
Actually incredibly cool!
Old November 13, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
BarryLee

Well, very interesting I must admit. I suspect it is aimed at the civilian market much more so than the military market as the article suggested.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 13, 2012, 07:36 PM   #6
tomrkba

Why does the author of that article believe the gun won't be a great carry gun? The SIG P220 is great in a good leather holster! I'm looking forward to seeing this new model.

The flush fit magazines will hold 10 rounds. If I were to buy one, I'd carry it with a 10 round magazine in the gun and two spare 14 round magazines.

However, I will not buy this gun for at least a year or two after it comes out. I want to make sure there are no bugs in the frame or magazine. I'll have my standard P220 until then.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:40 PM   #7
chris in va

Huh. Single stack and width were the two main reasons I sold my 220. This should sell like crazy.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:23 PM   #8
proxpilot

when i was dreaming about this gun in the past i was hoping for a little bit more capacity than 10 rounds. the FNX is 15+1. could have at least got 12 or 13. we're only getting 2 more rounds out of a double stack than the p220 offers
Old November 13, 2012, 08:28 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
when i was dreaming about this gun in the past i was hoping for a little bit more capacity than 10 rounds. the FNX is 15+1. could have at least got 12 or 13. we're only getting 2 more rounds out of a double stack than the p220 offers
But the FNP45 is thicker than a P226. Still I agree I might have hoped for more.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:34 PM   #10
WVsig

People don't seem to complain about the HK45 only being 10+1. The FN45 is huge even compared to the HK. Also it is much easier to make the mag well bigger in a polymer.

Personally I do not feel the need to pay $1000+ to gain 2 rounds.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

I suppose it's about time, though I'm still waiting on one in 10mm. If I keep stamping my feet and grumbling, they're bound to listen sooner or later.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:36 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

DAK format....

A double stack P220/227 is a great concept by SIG Sauer.
It will really compete with the popular Glock 21/21SF .45acp.
I'm curious to know why a large frame duty size .45acp didn't come out sooner from SIG.
I'd buy a DAK model with 3 dot night sights when it comes out.
I read former US Navy SEAL Chris Kyle's non fiction; American Sniper. Kyle stated his regular sidearm in OIF/SW Asia was a P220 .45acp.

ClydeFrog
Old November 13, 2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Departed402

Should be a winner

In the world of .45s, SIG's P220 leaves a lot to be desired in the capacity department. SIG is only offering 8+1 (10+1 extended) with their P220 when other brands such as Glock, FN, HK, and others offer 13+1 and higher. For SIG, not having a higher capacity .45 has been a weekness in their lineup for years.

I carry a Glock 21 at work, not a huge fan. I'm not a .45 fanatic, but I do plan on personally owning a .45, and I had dismissed the P220 a long time ago solely based on its limited capacity. I'll definitely consider the P227.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:45 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
Personally I do not feel the need to pay $1000+ to gain 2 rounds.
You already have a P220, other might not.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:53 PM   #15
WVsig

I hear you tunnel but I guess I am not sure that the 2 rounds is such a big improvement.

Also could someone refresh my memory and remind me which HK 45 is 13+1...
Old November 13, 2012, 08:54 PM   #16
TunnelRat

He's thinking of the USP 45 which is 12. The HK45 is stuck at 10.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Technosavant

If I were in the market for another metal frame .45 that isn't a 1911, I'd be all over one like white on rice.

The capacity isn't that huge an issue; while 10 rounds is less than some others, the .45ACP requires makers to choose between something that's absolutely enormous and giving up a couple or three rounds. The extended 14 round magazines will give users the choice of accepting a bit more bulk in exchange for the capacity.

I don't know that I'll find myself in the market for one but it looks like a gun that is long overdue... Sig has needed a double stack .45 for a while.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:04 PM   #18
WVsig

Right but 12+1 is not 13+1. There is no 45 ACP that is 13+1 is there? I used to think capacity was king but the more and more I shoot and the longer I carry I have come to the realization that I am not in combat and I am very unlikely to find me self in a self defense situation where I have to defend myself where a few more rounds is going to make the difference.

I would wait a few months if not a year for the teething issues to get worked out. I wonder if this gun will hit the shelves before the P224...LOL

Last edited by WVsig; November 13, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:15 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Sure there is. Glock 21. I think he mistook the USP 45 as being 13 and was saying that Glock, HK, and FN have models that have 13 or more. Just a simple mistake.

Do I think you need more rounds? No. But I had a great convo with a patrol/SWAT officer once. "In all my years of responding to incidents, many of them self defense, I never once encountered a person who said, "I wish I had had fewer cartridges in my magazine"."
Old November 13, 2012, 09:24 PM   #20
WVsig

Right but if capacity is king then the 45 ACP is the wrong round IMHO. You would be much better off with a 9mm and going 17+1 in a much smaller package like a P228.

Anyway time will tell just how good it is once it hits the market until then is a just more Sig Vaporware...

Last edited by WVsig; November 13, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:27 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Right but is capacity is king then the 45 ACP is the wrong round IMHO. You would be much better off with a 9mm and going 17+1 in a much smaller package like a P228.
Oh I agree, that's why my carry gun is a 9mm. But some people just want a 45 ACP and the more capacity they can get the better.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:35 PM   #22
WVsig

I personally would love to see a 13+1 or higher Sig based on the SigPro. The polymer frame would allow this capacity in a smaller grip circumference.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:39 PM   #23
TunnelRat

+1. I'd really love to see SIG give more support to the SigPro line. I've noticed a lot more ads for it lately online and in magazines. It's a great option that deserves the attention, especially at the price point.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:48 PM   #24
LockedBreech

I've been spending a lot of time drooling over the P220 lately. This could be a great option for me, especially since I don't even mind larger frames (the Beretta 92-series are very comfortable for me). 10+1 of .45 is fully adequate, I think, same as the M&P45 and it avoids the massive brick grip of the 13+1 and 15+1 .45s.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:10 AM   #25
RC20

Quote:
Right but 12+1 is not 13+1. There is no 45 ACP that is 13+1 is there? I used to think capacity was king but the more and more I shoot and the longer I carry I have come to the realization that I am not in combat and I am very unlikely to find me self in a self defense situation where I have to defend myself where a few more rounds is going to make the difference.

I would wait a few months if not a year for the teething issues to get worked out. I wonder if this gun will hit the shelves before the P224...LOL
I used to think that when I carried my revolvers (and even a 22). But then I was younger and a lot quicker and much better shot!

The one gun fight I personally know of was a 44 mag vs a 45 acp (10 round ACP). The bad guy in the incident had the 44 mag. He landed 4 rounds if memory serve me right. The guy with the 45 ACP landed 8 and took him down.

Something to think about is that it also exposes the myth of the 44 mag being a one shot stopper. In this case it was not. While you never go with a single data set, it does fall in with the data that says 9mm is as good a 44 mag as hard as that is to believe (which I have come to be a believer)

So, numbers can count. Not always, but my take is its better to have it on tap and avialable if needed than to come up short. So I go with 9mm in decent capacity (15 + 1)