The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 11, 1999, 12:52 AM   #1
Jeff Thomas

I've got a Ruger 10/22 with a Weaver scope (marked V-22A). Arizona can be pretty dusty, and the scope gets its share. I've seen scopes with covers that flip up. Are these integral with the scope, or do they make aftermarket covers to retrofit a scope like this Weaver? Thanks.
Old January 11, 1999, 01:12 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

Butler Creek makes flip up covers for just about every scope on the planet. Most Gun shops should be able to order you the right size.

--edit
What Gary says below is 100% the truth, I have ordered models according to the charts and found them to not fit one objective or the other. Best that you try before you buy with these suckers.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 01-11-99).]
Old January 11, 1999, 01:29 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

You could mail order them from Spartan or Natchez, but I like to buy them locally from a store. That way you're guarenteed a tight fit (I've had one that was loose) and the shop could install them while you watch.
Old January 11, 1999, 07:35 PM   #4
Jeff Thomas

Rob, Gary - thanks. Stopped at a local gun shop during lunch, and saw the Butler Creek covers. Perhaps tonight I'll go to Arizona Sportsman with my rifle so we get the right ones.

Looked for a Butler Creek web site, but they don't appear to have one. Sounds like they probably don't need it.

Adios.
Old January 14, 1999, 01:06 AM   #5
Jeff Thomas

This is a pretty small scope (matching the rifle, I'd say), and it is an older model. Called Butler Creek today, and they said to give them the O.D. measurements and they should be able to fix me up. Unfortunately, with Weaver's bankruptcy(ies?), they're no help at all.

Thanks again. You pointed me in the right direction.

ps - turns out Butler Creek doesn't sell any lens covers for less than 1" in diameter. Diane at Butler Creek says I should buy their 'bikini' model, which covers both the eyepiece and the objective, and is held together with an elastic tie.

1/18/99 - bought the 'bikini', and it works great. Thanks again for the help.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-19-99).]