The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 29, 2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Knight cadet

whatsort of executive orders re guns are we likely to see before the elections

I had to listen to my dad going nuts because of what the President said in the State of the Union last night. He was making some pretty far out claims about him being a dictator and stuff, I just tuned him out. But then I saw some stuff on Facebook saying similar things so I wanted to get an idea about what kind of things can he do by executive order that would affect our right to own guns?

I kind of thought that they already did about everything they could, and that if an anti-gun politician tried to do much more to violate the 2nd Amendment the Supreme Court would stop them right away.

Am I wrong?

I guess I'm asking what are they trying to do by Executive order, and how likely is it that they'll be declared constitutional?

Last edited by Knight cadet; January 29, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:38 PM   #2
steve4102

Listen to your Dad,Don't just tune him out, listen to him he seems to know what is going on with Obama.

It's hard to say what Obama will do with his "pen and his phone", whatever it is, it will not be good. If you don't know what the "pen-n-phone means ask your Dad, he will know.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:42 PM   #3
towboat-er

He will do what he thinks he can get by with.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Kimber84

He'll pull some executive actions, that will be mostly fluff and ineffective... Executive orders would be much harder for him to pull off in this political climate.

I don't like him, but he's no dummy either... The next election cycle is when everyone should be loaded up on ammo and components as I'm sure there will be another run on them.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:23 PM   #5
JimDandy

Most of what he can do will be limited to regulatory changes in Executive Branch departments. Importation controls, there may be SOME wiggle room on BATFE definition changes to what is or isn't covered by various NFA regulations. Resource allocation for offices and such- i.e. investigations etc. of failed BGCs.

I suppose it's theoretically possible he could shut down NICS by transferring the staff into other areas, but that wouldn't fly for long- Eventually FFL's will figure out it's closed, and will start delivering after the waiting period is up, so worst case for a month or two people will be in Limbo waiting for a Proceed result that will never come. The political ramifications of this sort of thing would be extreme however.
Old January 29, 2014, 09:48 PM   #6
rwilson452

As I understand it there is already lawsuits in the mill for some of his exec. orders. He is even stepping on Democrats toes in congress. They closely watch for infringements on their turf.
Old January 30, 2014, 01:38 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Executive orders can't be used to make law.

We had a very detailed discussion of them here.
Closed Thread