The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 17, 2013, 06:24 AM   #76
Bartholomew Roberts

http://www.volokh.com/2013/04/15/the...f-gun-control/

If you are being asked to give up rights, and the promise is you will get gun rights things that are great but really well hidden and we can't tell you about them but trust me... Would you take that deal? Would knowing that Schumer, Bloomberg, Biden and their lawyers signed off on the deal make you suspicious?

Many of the "great deals" for gun rights are things that FOPA 1986 was supposed to have given us already - interstate travel, no federal registry.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:30 AM   #77
spacecoast

Looks like it's on its way to defeat. A victory for freedom.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/electio...eck-amendment/
Old April 17, 2013, 11:53 AM   #78
Gaerek

Quote:
Would knowing that Schumer, Bloomberg, Biden and their lawyers signed off on the deal make you suspicious?
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Hell Yes

Any supposed "pro-gun" bill signed off by a known "anti-gunner" is something I don't want any part of.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:10 PM   #79
Levant

Quote:
Confusing. NRA says vote against it. SAF and CCKBA say they helped write it and there are great pro gun measures in it.
Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down. All Gottlieb did was add the sugar that makes gun control palatable to many citizens and Congress members who did not, otherwise, support it. It was a brilliant gun control move. Gottlieb is one of them.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:39 PM   #80
Bartholomew Roberts

CCRKBA pulls support for Toomey-Manchin: http://www.examiner.com/article/ccrk...manchin-toomey

Way to step in and be decisive after it was already dead.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #81
csmsss

Quote:
Way to step in and be decisive after it was already dead.
Well, ya gotta tell the suckers you engineered its defeat, especially since you attempted to conceal your role in authoring the durned thing.
Old April 17, 2013, 01:04 PM   #82
Texshooter

Regardless

what happens with this, I intend to continue to remind my Senators & Reps that the way to fight crime is not to make honest citizens criminals.

They keep talking about compromise and we NEVER get anything back in return for our concessions.

This is a fight forevermore for the life of the Constitution.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:29 PM   #83
spacecoast

Celebrating failure to further limit freedom, 54-46. Even old Harry Reid voted No.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:01 PM   #84
Spats McGee
Staff

If your senator voted with us, please, PLEASE take a moment to send an email to thank him or her.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:59 PM   #85
cvc944

Already done. I crafted a very nice note and sent it to all of them, thanking them for their courage. For doing the sensible thing. For not passing another law that is not a solution, but a reaction to a problem. There was a second note I crafted for those who did not.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:10 PM   #86
Levant

Gottlieb can now say he was against the bill before he was for it before he was against it. He and Kerry are more alike than we knew.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:57 PM   #87
Cowboy_mo

To Spats post

I have already thanked Senator Blount from MO for voting the correct way "against all the amendments" AND I have informed Senator McCaskill that not only will I never consider voting FOR her again, I will be vehemently working for whomever her opponent is!!!

That vote (at least from a Missouri point of view) points out that history repeats itself. During Lincoln's war of northern agression against the south aka the civil war, MO was split
Old April 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #88
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Gottlieb can now say he was against the bill before he was for it before he was against it.
The mind reels. I'm still not sure of his exact intentions, but he may have very well tarnished the reputation of a spectacular 2A organization by this.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:50 AM   #89
mayosligo

Toomey-Manchin Amendment

Unless his motives were to totally screw up the process and confuse most of the Senators. After looking over the contents if you voted for the bill you would have had stomach a number of things that you were against, and if you voted against the bill because nothing's you disagreed with you had to say good by to some major changes you might have been in favor of. But still if this passed it would have been confusing for both sides from what I can gather. It is confusing for me.
Old April 21, 2013, 03:21 PM   #90
Bartholomew Roberts

Who was he trying to confuse though? Every single anti voted for it and Schumer begged for it to pass on the floor of the Senate. If he was trying to discourage antis from voting for a UBC, it doesn't seem to have been successful.
Old April 21, 2013, 05:47 PM   #91
maestro pistolero

I would not automatically turn on Gottlieb for trying to influence the outcome of a bill. We have no idea the goings on behind closed doors. If anyone has earned the benefit of doubt, it's Alan Gottlieb.