The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 24, 2012, 02:42 PM   #1
ltc444

Cheaper than Dirt pricing

I attempted to purchase 3 Magpul Ar 15 30 round mags from Cheaper than Dirt. The advertised price was $10.92 plus 2.99 handling per mag.

When I went to check out the cost per mag was 13.61. Has anyone else experienced this with Cheaper than Dirt?

If you order from this supplier, you should probably check your billing carefully.

PS. I contacted their Customer Service. I will let you know their response.
Old November 24, 2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Xfire68

Is that $13.61 with handling charge added?
Old November 24, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
jasmith85

You might also check to be sure you added the item to your cart from the warehouse with the cheapest price. They'll have the same item up with different prices depending on which warehouse it ships from.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
TAKtical

True about the pricing at different warehouses. I bought a magpul stock for $82 that cost $125 at another warehouse. Ive never understood their system but they are a great company and I do a lot of business with them.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old November 24, 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Famas

Look closely at the prices - they have two sets of prices....one for members and one for non-members. Needless to say, members receive a few $s discount.
Old November 24, 2012, 06:28 PM   #6
bbqbob51

Their shipping and handling proces are ridiculous

Every time I see something in their catalog or on the site that is a good price the shipping charges are sometimes nearly as much as the sale item. If I order multiple items and they are shipped from different warehouses, they try to nail me even more. Usually I just cancel the order. As a for instance I tried to order 4 boxes of ammo, a magazine and a pistol case and the total was $80. Pretty good deal until I factored in the shipping and handling!) it was over $32 for a total of $112! The products might be cheaper than dirt but the S&H is more expensive than platinum. I don't know how they sell anything to anyone with so many other online retailers offering free shipping.
Old November 24, 2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Warrior1256

I check carefully before ordering from Cheaper Than Dirt. As has been said shipping can be expensive, so it depends on how good of a price you are getting the item(s) for.
Old November 24, 2012, 08:02 PM   #8
ltc444

It was 13.62 plus handling charges. Total cost per mag was $16.61.

When I saw the price change I called Cheaper than dirt. The Operator confirmed the price and handling charges. They denied that i$10.92 was an advertised price. It was also to be shipped from the warehouse (C) which was indicated in the add. The company charges different prices depending on the warehouse from which the item is shipped.

My LGS sells the same mag for $16.60. Since I am in AZ I must pay local and state sales tax on internet purchases.

In my message to the Customer service I pointed out that this practice is not only unethical but illegal. I wait to see how they respond.
Old November 24, 2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Straightshooter629

Quote:
Look closely at the prices - they have two sets of prices....one for members and one for non-members. Needless to say, members receive a few $s discount.
I think you've got your suppliers confused. "Sportsman's Guide" is the one with the member pricing, not "Cheaper Than Dirt".
Old November 24, 2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Mike38

Just last week I was price comparing ammo at 4 or 5 different web sites, Cheaper Than Dirt being one of them. Cheaper Than Dirt is far from cheap even before shipping fees. If memory serves me, they were the highest priced of those I looked at.
Old November 24, 2012, 09:44 PM   #11
barstoolguru

they bust you if the items come from different whse too
Old November 24, 2012, 10:22 PM   #12
dajowi

I remember looking at their prices for ammo when the shortage was going on. It sure appeared to me that they were gouging the consumer.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Creeper

Some of the larger online retailers, and by this I mean anyone from CTD to Amazon can and do adjust their online prices as often as every 15 minutes. There have been several news reports on this practice... in particular the mainstream Amazon.

What they do is adjust their prices based on information obtained with algorithmic data mining software... to be not too low, or two high. There's actually a company, you can become a member of, that searches using the same methods. Decide.com advises you to buy or wait based on their proprietary price and model predictions. At present however, Decide.com does not do firearms and firearms related items in their "Sporting Goods" category.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:29 AM   #14
Redhawk5.5+P+

"Cheaper that dirt"

Quote:
I remember looking at their prices for ammo when the shortage was going on. It sure appeared to me that they were gouging the consumer.
They always seemed shady to me. I never did do business with them.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:46 AM   #15
Famas

Straightshooter629 writes:
Quote:
I think you've got your suppliers confused. "Sportsman's Guide" is the one with the member pricing, not "Cheaper Than Dirt".
Oops! You are absolutely right - I stand corrected. I should separate those two catalogs!
Old November 25, 2012, 08:25 AM   #16
m.p.driver

Go to CDNN,every weekend they run specials.They'll send you e-mail alerts,and more often than not,pmags are in it.Several weeks ago i stocked up on both the regular $9,and the side window $12.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Amsdorf

CTD left a bad taste in my mouth after my first order with them. I can usually always find what I'm looking for cheaper elsewhere.

"Cheaper Than Dirt" should change their name to:

"Cheaper Than Dirt Excluding Shipping and Handling Fees Which We Use to Stick it To You."
Old November 25, 2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Andrews

The magpul mags are still $10.92 from warehouse C.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MGMPI211FDE

The FDE are the only color left at that price. Shipping for ten mags was $14.48 to Denver.

Each warehouse is a different company that sets their own price. Weird, but that's how it works.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:42 AM   #19
chiefr

I wonder if CTD made a typo. I would hate to think they are doing the ol' Bait & Switch.
Yes, CTD has 2 warehouses and if you order more than one item, and the items are at two different warehouses, you DOUBLE your shipping charges.

Because of this policy, I order only one item from CTD if I order anything at all. I will admit CTD has superfast shipping, however so does most everyone else in these times.

If you order stuff from Gunparts, Sarco, & IMA, these dealers ship items from several warehouses and in different states and the buyer incurrs one shipping charge.

I have never agreed with CTDs 2 warehouse 2 shipping fee policies. IMHO it is a poor business model. Management should rectify this issue as it most certainly affect their sales.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:35 AM   #20
TMD

I wouldn't put anything past CTD. Think back 4 years ago when Obama got elected. CTD spearheaded the panic and was one of the fist to raise prices through the roof. They went as far as promoting the gun ban fear by advertising it on radio and the internet. All to extort the maximum profit for themselves. I'm all for capitolism but they were predatory for theirs.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:39 AM   #21
4runnerman

I have been there a few times. My observation is- They are NOT cheaper than dirt. I have found my Local Scheels to be cheaper than them on most everything i have ever looked at. Plus no shipping charge and i can have it same day
Old November 26, 2012, 05:21 PM   #22
ltc444

andrews I know I checked this am. Did you try to order?

The checkout cart is deceptive. They show the lower price but the math does not work. You have to look below the total to find the actual price being charged.
Old November 26, 2012, 06:09 PM   #23
B. Lahey

I had sworn off buying from CTD years ago, but recently saw that they had a good price on some ammo ($12/box or so on the website, only available at one warehouse, so that wasn't the issue). When I looked at my cart, it had jumped to $15/box. Sneaky buggers, they have not changed a bit.

Never again.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:16 PM   #24
Yung.gunr

I have made one order through CTD and that was only because they were the only ones who had what I wanted. I had to put a group buy of the danged thing before the shipping wasn't ridiculous per item.

I saw they had some great looking prices and stuff this last weekend in the email they sent out. I didn't even bother to go to their site because I knew how it would turn out. Price change when added to the cart and soaked on shipping.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:01 PM   #25
Andrews

5 mags shipped was $66.75 with shipping to Colorado. Shopping was $12.15, but didn't change much from 1 to 5 mags. Total cost of the mags was $54.60. Each mag was $10.92.

No drama. Should be here in a few day.