The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 18, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1
SwwPlayboy

How often should I clean my gun?

After how many rounds should I clean out my barrel? Should I do after every use?

When I do get out the cleaning pads, I tend to run them through till they dont come out black anymore, but sometimes this takes a lot of cotton pads.

What is a break down of a nice good cleaning?
Old April 19, 2014, 04:19 AM   #2
nemesiss45

you will end up getting 100 people with 100 different answers to these questions.

I'd say, some of this depends on what you shoot. start with a cleaner applicable to the ammo you use.

I generally clean my guns after every range session and I just brush and run patches alternating dry and solvent until they come out clean.
Old April 19, 2014, 08:16 AM   #3
4thPoint

There's a theory about more guns being worn out by overzealous cleaning than by having rounds through the barrel. The military cleans religiously because older black powder arms demanded it and it's become institutionalized.

It's a lubricated machine, how often do you tear your car's engine apart and clean the carbon off the pistons?

And the answer (my answer) is... whenever I feel bored, or when the accumulated carbon and oils begin to wipe off on my fingers.
Old April 19, 2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Bart B.

Competitive shooters producing the best results proved decades ago that frequent proper cleaning with the right stuff (tools, material and technique) promotes both long barrel life and good accuracy.

Everyone cleans their firearms the way they think is best.

Last edited by Bart B.; April 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old April 19, 2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Blindstitch

I also do as nemesiss45.

If I go to the range and know a rifle isn't going to be used tomorrow, next week or at worst next month it will get cleaned as soon as possible.

Now if I'm hunting next week for a month I'll leave the rifle dirty until i'm done or something happens requiring cleaning.

For example pheasant season here is mid October till the end of December. I shot 14 birds over that time period but in some instances I was in grassy messes of crap and a few times pumping my mossberg 500 it ate some heads of grass. After about a month when I took it apart there was a bunch of grass packed in the back of the receiver and other nooks and crannies. The shotgun was working just fine but it was time for a clean.

I know it's not a rifle story but I think it's relevant.
Old April 19, 2014, 09:31 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

A lot depends on the gun and the ammo, but there is also the question of what is meant by cleaning. Most guns will function for hundreds, sometimes thousands of rounds without any cleaning at all, given modern smokeless powder ammo. But if you come in from the range on a hot summer day and toss your gun in the closet with your sweaty hands, that gun may continue to function but it will soon be a mass of rust.

Jim
Old April 20, 2014, 08:12 AM   #7
cecILL

The most important thing you can do, is keep them wiped down with a slightly oiled cotton rag every time they are handled.
Old April 20, 2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Topos

Cleaning

Old ROTC Sergeant in 1950's on cleaning firearms.
especially when you life depended on its functioning:

"As often as you clean your teeth. Could
tell how often the folks back up in hill country
where I grew up cleaned their guns by number of teeth
they had left."

He and we all let out a roar of laughter.

Oh, still have most all of my teeth.
Old April 20, 2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Aer656y9

IMHO, if you do it right then you should do it after every use. However, if you aren't doing it right, then you could end up causing damage to the gun with frequent cleaning. If you follow the instructions that came with you gun, then I'd do it every time.

However, don't think for a minute that if you miss a cleaning session that your gun will stop working or something. It isn't THAT important. My rule of thumb is after every use where I shoot more than 100 rounds. Less than that I just leave it alone.
Old April 21, 2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Don P

Quote:
But if you come in from the range on a hot summer day and toss your gun in the closet with your sweaty hands, that gun may continue to function but it will soon be a mass of rust.
I'll second that. My sweat and I'm convinced of it. I can almost make plastic/polymer rust. Learned my lesson about this with my Taurus 1911 and all my other guns with grip screws. I now have to use gold never seize on ALL grip screws. I had to replace grip screws and bushings on 2 1911s because of my sweat.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 25, 2014, 07:57 AM   #11
msokad

I've always cleaned my guns after going to the range. I have other people I know that have a few thousand rounds through their guns before they clean them.