The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 1, 2009, 10:07 PM   #1
101guns

Is it the Gun or Ammo?

I have two H&R Model 157s (full stock), one in 22 hornet and one in 30-30. The 30-30 was cut down and a new recoil pad added in hopes my youngest could take advantage of the new Remington managed recoil round. I have shot the gun for years without a problem, BUT despite trying two seperate boxes of the managed recoil rounds, not a single one has fired. The pin is striking the primer and leaving a good mark, but no ignition. If you pop it out and chamber a full strength round, BANG...no problem. So, is it a weak firing pin spring or a different primer in the managed recoil round? Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.
Old June 2, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
smoakingun

if the primer strike is the same on both rounds, I'd call the ammo manufacture and get their take, but it's probably the ammo.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 2, 2009, 11:30 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I guess those really are low recoil rounds or rather no recoil rounds. I agree with calling Remington. Ammo can go bad quickly due to storage problems, but the manufacturer should know as should the store where you bought it.

Jim