The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 8, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Asphalt Guy

Brescia Italy, 12 gauge o/u

I can find the XIX, meaning it is a 1963, and the PSF, Barrels are tested, 1 star on 1 barrell, and 2 stars on the other. serial # 1 0107. matching throughout the guns parts. But can not find a maker. I'm trying to post a pic lets hope it helps. Who made it????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130108_121422.jpg (109.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130108_121323.jpg (73.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130108_121204.jpg (75.5 KB, 53 views)
Old January 8, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Asphalt Guy

More Info

On 1 side of the barrel, it is stamped eig-Brescia, Italy On the other it is stamped 12 gauge magnum 3" chambers.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:02 PM   #3
PetahW

AFAIK, "E.I.G." was a pre-1968 US importer of mostly utility grade firearms from various sources, many in Italy, like your shotgun.

While some shotguns were made by a single entity, and usually also bear a maker's mark (Your pics don't show enough detail in all the correct areas, where the stamps were usually applied) - many weren't marked because they weren't made by a single entity.

Gun, mostly shotguns (and especially Italian shotguns & some Spanish), that weren't stamped with a maker's mark usually were made through a consortium of gunmakers in the Brescia region of Northern Italy, in the Gardone Valley.
Since they were all members of the Italian Gunmaker's Guild (a little like a US labor union) - and most of them made what were basically clones of a single O/U design that's come to be referred to as a generic inexpensive Italian O/U.
Guns made by them are simply referred to as "Guild Guns".

The separate entities/companies may or may not have been family-related, but typically one entity made the barrels, another the action, another the stocks, and yet others who fitted & assembled everything & forwarded the completed gun to some wholesaler for export.

Soooooo, your gun may have a minute maker's mark somewhere, that you're not seeing, or don't recognize for what it is - or it's a "Guild Gun".

Last edited by PetahW; January 10, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Asphalt Guy

Thank you

I've looked this thing over and over. I'm guessing its a guild gun, like you stated. What kind of value would you put on it? Thanks for taking the time to help a guy out!! This is my 1st o/u, andI like her.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:44 PM   #5
PetahW

Extractor-only 12ga Field Grade's typically change hands in the $350-$400 range, ejector guns a tad ($50) more - either/both in primo condition, less in lesser condition.

As the gauge becomes smaller, the value becomes bigger.

Old January 19, 2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Asphalt Guy

Thanks again

Who would have thought, the higher values would go to the smaller guns?