The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 23, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1
F23Blackwidow2

Kit .22

Is there anyone/company out there who sells a receiver for a .22lr bolt action that I can piece together as I get the money. I never really have enough money to just shell out, and I would like a project gun. Anything like that out there?

Don't want a 10/22...

Thanks

Ken B.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:43 AM   #2
rc

I think you'd be better off buying a cheap old 22 than trying to build a non 10/22 from scratch.
Old May 30, 2013, 07:40 AM   #3
hornetguy

I agree with RC... go to any pawn shop, they all usually have several older bolt action .22 rimfires, and they usually sell for $100 or less, since they aren't "tacti-kool".
I settled on a Remington bolt action with the tubular magazine. The stock was bleached out (pickup gunrack?) and the buttplate was chipped. It was missing the rear sight.. previous owner probably took it off to put a scope on it. I think I ended up having about 75 dollars in it to take it home.
It is a very accurate rifle, bore looks like new, just like MOST used .22 rifles. AND... I can shoot any kind of .22 cartridge I want out of it. CB shorts, 60gr sub-sonics.... whatever. Try that with an autoloading "tacti-kool" rifle (the shorts sound a little quieter than the average pellet rifle when firing)

Like I said, there are usually several to choose from in most pawn shops, and with a little haggling, you could get a real bargain.
Old May 30, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Tortuga12

And, you can always hit up Wally-World for a basic Savage MkII. I don't know what they run now, but I got one a few years ago for $109.99. Plastic stock, and no accutrigger. Did the shim trick on the trigger, and eventually got a wood stock and Marbles iron sights for it, and most recently I picked up a 2nd Gen Aimpoint for cheap and threw it on there! As close to a "kit" gun as I can think without going the 10/22 route.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:00 AM   #5
rc

Dicks has a nice fluted bull barrel Mark II with a cheesy plastic green stock for about $260. Seems like a decent non 10/22 starter gun if you don't mind the price new. I believe it's a package gun with a scope.
Old June 2, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
TMW89

I bought a savage mark 2 for $200 NW from gander mtn. Comes with a nice accutrigger. Throw on a cheap scope, bipod, and sling and there ya go. Semi tacti-cool bolt action for under 300