The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2009, 06:53 PM   #176
Hardy

Here is something funny that I just remembered. when I was young teenager I took to concrete blocks and layed them on top of a metal pan. I put charcoal on top of the blocks and smashed them with a brick and scraped the crushed charcoal acoss the small crack between the 2 blocks that dropped into the pan. I mixed that with 75% salt peter and sulfer. There used to be iron survey pins in our neighborhood that were hollowd like barrels. I'd close one end w a sledge hammer and drill a hole near the rear of the pin. I'd fill that w my stuff and pack a marble in it. Lit the fuse and it shot!!. My daddy beat my ass. And I was lucky I didn-t blow myself up. I guess I had this passion for BP befoe I knew it:

WBH
Old August 22, 2009, 08:16 PM   #177
Hardy

I shot the neighbor...but I did not shoot the- little boy...I shot the neighbor...but it was -in self _defense. The neighbor always hated me - For what? I don't know....Everytime I shot BP He said "quit it before it blows....."
And, I'll tell you how I drilled that hole in the steel pipe: A corundum drill bit

WBH
Old August 24, 2009, 05:17 PM   #178
Hardy

The 2nd and 3 generation colts are priced good(what few we can find) but they have mostly sold.Are these guns getting more in demand or is the economy allowing quick purchases over the net.?
Old August 25, 2009, 10:08 PM   #179
ClemBert

Hardy...don't even get me started on my story about the time my brother and I, when we were in our early teens, made a miniature cannon out of a steel pipe.

Lets just say that I'm happy to report that everyone survived that incident.
Old August 26, 2009, 07:17 AM   #180
Smokin_Gun

Colt 2nd & Colt Sig

Billy if you want a Colt 2nd Gen 1862 Pocket Police I have one unfired in the Original Black Box $550 shipped.
Or and 1848 Colt Signature 1st model Dragoon fired no box I may sell for $550 shipped.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 26, 2009, 05:46 PM   #181
Hardy

ok Smokin---I'll sell them for more--send me pics-- Can't buy them direct since I got to build up operating capital--but will give yu 30% over what you want if you want to broker them. I'd price um at $799 I have a 1862 police NIB 2nd for 799. I think it will sell for that. Do a search. There aren't many. anyway, when you do find them they are already sold. I think! Thanks for the rope. I did loose a shoe in the bog but thats OK.
WBH
Old August 26, 2009, 05:49 PM   #182
Hardy

Maybe the dragoon for $599 since it has no box or papers.
Old August 26, 2009, 06:09 PM   #183
Hardy

Dang it Smokin---I'm gettin old and tired. I mean't that you give me a price and we'll try to price it at 30% more than what you're askin! Of course the price above what you want is negotionable.. and we probably would take 5% or whatever above that for you. That way you get your price--and we didn't gouge a customer and the shop made a few pennys/ you happy/ and a new and satisfied customer Of couse we don't want to gouge anyone. This store is more for fun, experiment, etc than making money. But you know-still have to pay rent etc. I'll price um at whatever you want me to. And if we make big sales in the next few weeks-I just might buy them. But can't afford it this month. Just hunting supplies will eat you up.
WBH
Old August 26, 2009, 06:21 PM   #184
Hardy

So Clembert, I guess you're saying that my manufacturing of Bp and recipe etc, should not be followed by anyone on this tread!? If Clembert didn't --I am-- DO NOT DO WHAT I DID---I was just relating innocent naive stuff that was very potentially deadly that I tried when I was a youngster. I know you all have better sense--- but someone reading this that has no knowledge might I should have had better sense to post it. I'm sorry. Please be careful with BP--it is dangerous and has to be respected. And don't make it unless you know a whole lot more than me. "The Smokin' Gun" Shop/Spartanburg,SC

WBH
Old August 26, 2009, 11:48 PM   #185
ClemBert

Hardy, I wasn't tryin' to say anything about your story....but that is probably good advice you just gave. All I was tryin' to say that your story got me to recollectin' some behavior of mine when I was young. Do any of you look back on your younger years with amazement that you survived to see adulthood....I certainly do.
Old August 27, 2009, 08:33 PM   #186
Hardy

I know ClemBert. I realized after posting that silly story that it was stupid-and maybe some kid might try it. You know, I'd hate for someone to get hurt or die and it would devestate me to think It mighta been my fault. But I think after hearin remarks that the reason my powder worked was because some of the charcoal dragged across the rough blocks left jagged(prism) edges that mixed w/ finer charcoal. HEY-I ain't gonna do it again so please don't!!! And buying $30 old used navy arms pistols etc can be dangerous if they are worn out , never cleaned good and springs don't rotate cylinder properly. Some of these guys could wind up laying on their back with smokin parts laying all over their chest,neck and face. God forbid.
WBH
Old August 31, 2009, 04:42 PM   #187
Hardy

Ok--I have Pietta steel frame/ trigger guard and backstrap for 44c1851 Navy, and barrel that has only been fired less than 30 rounds but exterior barrel has been de-blued and roughed and filed but still it can be good. Make me an offer. 1st comes gets it. Or early bird catches the worm.
WBH

Don't need a lot a questions--just cheap offer
Old August 31, 2009, 09:49 PM   #188
madcratebuilder

PM sent.

Thanks for the heads up Steve.
Old September 6, 2009, 03:15 PM   #189
Hardy

Comin your way/ thanks.

Clembert-when did you live in Boiling Springs,SC?
Old September 6, 2009, 04:55 PM   #190
Buck Conner

When we were kids we use to use cooper plumbing pipe and crimp one end with a cannon fuse sticking out, then fill from the other usually 1F blasting powder. Grabbed the powder from an old construction site a few miles down the road. Then (real smart ) crimp that end in the vise. They made some great fire crackers and really pis..ed off the want-a-be biker down the street. We could make that old hog get up and go if he got near us.
NAF Mountaineer Degree
Old September 6, 2009, 06:41 PM   #191
Hardy

yeah, i remember adds on tv telling kids not to pick up these. I never found one

I had a friend that made his bombs w/ 1/2 saltpeter and 1/2 sugar. Now, I do know that mine was BP because it had charcoal that was part fine powder and also some sharp granules(due to pounding and scraping across the rough surface of concrete blocks.(as I said before, don't do it unless you know a whole lot more than me!!!!!!!), never made it again after almost blowin up my dad's storage room attached to the carport Smokin' Are you out there? Hellooo
The Twin
Old September 6, 2009, 09:33 PM   #192
ClemBert

Quote:
Clembert-when did you live in Boiling Springs,SC?
Hardy, I graduated from Boiling Springs HS in 1981. My parents lived on Lake Bowen from 1980 thru about 1989...the two story white brick house on the right side of the lake not far from when you pass under the I-26 bridge that goes over Lake Bowen as you are headed toward the lake inlet.
Old September 7, 2009, 02:10 AM   #193
Smokin_Gun

Yeah I'm here readin' the black part of the white pages...
Old September 8, 2009, 07:19 PM   #194
Hardy

Are you reading a newspaper, Smokin

I,ve got 3 1858 Rems (one is a SS 8") All unfired.

No body wants that dragoon in our store since smaller guns seem to be the new interest--but I do. wanna trade!?::

Clembert: Did you know Scott Williams and a girl named Noni in that era?
Old September 8, 2009, 07:30 PM   #195
Smokin_Gun

I'd like to horse trade with ya some time but jus' can't afford to now Billy... I'll probly be buyin' from ya when things straighten out...

I like them SS Rems what brand? Piettas?
Old September 8, 2009, 07:57 PM   #196
ClemBert

Quote:
Clembert: Did you know Scott Williams and a girl named Noni in that era?
Doesn't ring a bell.....
Old September 14, 2009, 10:12 PM   #197
Hardy

an original 1849 Pocket revolver

Since I think this original 1849 Pocket Revolver that has all serial #s matching with wagon wheel still visible on cylinder and still cocks. Its one I'd like to offer on thread here and do believe it's valuable. I'll offer more guns later. I start the bid at $799. Ends October 15th.

Please contact:
The Smokin' Gun
Ste4 355 Whitney Rd.,
Spartanburg,SC 29303
864 8047080
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StorePhotos0001.jpg (215.0 KB, 20 views)
Old September 17, 2009, 07:34 PM   #198
Hardy

OK it starts at $699==you frugal tightwads
Old November 1, 2009, 06:28 PM   #199
Hardy

It's an original 1st gen colt--Helloooo anyone in here---contact me at [email protected] and make offer.

WDH Can't let the BP store die
Old November 1, 2009, 06:39 PM   #200
mykeal

Just a suggestion - this forum has a classifed ad subforum for selling and trading black powder guns and accessories. Have you placed it in that subforum yet? You'll get much wider distribution of your ad.

It's called "Buying and Selling Black Powder Firearms and Accessories" and is located at the top of the page that lists the Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting forum threads, between the header and the forum thread list.