The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2006, 09:41 PM   #1
remhunter

50 cal BMG reloading?

I am looking to buy a loader for my barrett and have noticed that the Lee 50 cal kit is one third of the price as an RCBS kit . I know RCBS is better equipment, but if it is only that it lasts longer than I'll buy the Lee? Any load recomendations are gladly welcome as well.
Old April 6, 2006, 10:40 PM   #2
rwilson452

50 BMG loader

I bought the Lee Classic Cast press. I don't do .50. I don't think your going to break that press any time soon. It is in fact all steel construction. It's heavier than my Lee LoadMaster with all the stuff hooked up. I can't comment on the kit to load 50BMG that you need for it. Looking at it, I don't see a problem.
Old April 6, 2006, 11:52 PM   #3
remhunter

I was also curious about accuracy as well?
Old April 7, 2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Rimrod

I don't load for the .50 either although I did have a total stranger at the range offer to buy me everything I needed if I would reload for him.

Anyway for your question. I own a ton of equipment from both Lee and RCBS and if I were going to reload for the .50 I would use the RCBS. I wouldn't even think about the Lee. And now for a little sarcasm , How much did you pay for that Barrett? You bought a top dollar rifle and now you want to buy the el cheapo loading equipment? If you bought a NEF handi-rifle I could understand, a little. How many HUMMERS do you see getting an oil change or tires at Wal-Mart?
Old April 7, 2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Leftoverdj

It's about getting the job done, not how much money you can throw away.

Rem, why don't you go to Midway and MidSouth and read the product reviews from those who bought the Lee .50 cal kit?
Old April 7, 2006, 05:47 PM   #6
sindiesel666

Lee does make a lot of good stuff. Their progressive presses may not be as refined as some of the other guys, but they get the job done, on the budget or not. Their turret presses are great and especially they new one, Classic Turret. I got the older model, with 4-hole turret, that i keep around as a spare. Will use it for rifle loads eventually. Never let me down once, very simple and efficient. I use to get about 150 rounds/hour with it.

That 50 BMG kit they sell is worth every penny. MidwayUSA's got it for 140 right now.
Old April 8, 2006, 07:52 AM   #7
Rimrod

O.K. part of the problem is I'm obsessive compulsive. Lee does make a lot of good stuff and some junk. RCBS makes a lot of great stuff. The Lee would probably be good enough, I just can't stop at good enough. That is why the guy at the range asked me to reload his 50s for him. I was shooting my Rem 700 .308 next to him into one hole and he wanted me to do the same for his rifle. And the reason I refused was because I knew I couldn't stop until I did it.

And by the way the 2nd edition Lee Modern Reloading manual has .50BMG data in it.
Old April 8, 2006, 09:18 AM   #8
remhunter

Rimrod, I understand what your saying. However, in my opinion, the dies would be the only difference on accuracy. Maybe I'm wrong, but the press would only make a difference on dependability and smoothness. For a third of the price it could be three times less dependable As far as money goes, I bought a demo model 95 Barrett to save money and will always save money when I can as long as it doesn't cost more in time, effort, or efficiency. I own a $60K truck and change the oil in it myself (done right and save $).
Old April 8, 2006, 07:21 PM   #9
Robert M Boren Sr

#1, Don't knock Lee, I use a lot of their eqiupment and have no complaints what-so-ever.

#2, I do have that kit that Lee puts out and it works great. You have to mount that press on a really solid bench as it takes a great deal of force to resize the 50 even with plenty of lube on it. Also, you will need to get the trimmer and a champher tool that doesn't come with the kit. I also bought the lee FCD for the fifty BMG. You'll have fun once you figure out the finer details. E-mail me if you have more questions and I can send you some pictures of the stuff to give ya an idea of what you need.

#3, I have been using the Hornady 750 gr A-max bullets. 50 BMG powder at 214 gr, and max in the book is 214.9. So be carefull and aproach with caution.

Barrett is a great rifle and you should enjoy it. I have the AR-50 by Armalite. Absolutely no recoil, just a slight push. No more than a 243 I'd say. Oh and one other thing, IT IS A BLAST TO SHOOT, FUN....