The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2001, 10:45 AM   #1
Dave R

I was intrigued by the ads in Cabela's for S&B 12 ga. buck. 12 pellets instead of 9, because of a shorter wad. So when I saw it cheap at the gun show, I bought a box.

It patterned horribly compared to the Federal I am used to. Used a modified choke, which gave best patterns with the Federal. Patterns were twice as wide with obvious flyers.

Then I checked my barrel and saw why. The wad does not cover the shot (as Federal and other brands do), and the leading in the barrel was significant, after only a few rounds. From the streaks in the choke, I'd say some of the outer pellets were being squished nearly in half. The lead streaks were about the same width as pellet diameter.

So the rest of the box becomes "use only in case of emergency" for me.
Old April 10, 2001, 12:19 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

We all live and learn, Dave. I've some not so fond memories of some bargains there weren't.

And, in this era, bad patterns are not the rule. Even "Police" issue ammo has been upgraded to produce patterns unexpected in earlier times. Those deer hunters limited to buckshot have done lots of field research,and improvements in components,especially wads,buffering, and powders,have come closer to doubling the effective range of buck.

I suggest you write this off to the learning process, and check the Net for that Estate "SWAT" ammo. All reports so far indicate it's good stuff, and I got mine on sale last year for $2.95 a 10 pack. Patterns with this were far smaller than my old duty 00.
Old April 10, 2001, 12:42 PM   #3
Destructo6

That's not the only problem with S&B shotshells. They're also about 1/8" longer than US-made 2-3/4", making your 8-rnd mag into a 7rnder.
Old April 10, 2001, 12:58 PM   #4
Coop de Ville

Yeah!

I purchased 400 rounds of the S&B 00. I tried it out last week for the first time and was mighty irritated. I was getting 18" patterns at 10 or so yards out of my Police Mag. Really bad. I still have 350 rounds to go through before I'm finished. I will look for the Estate Swat.

Thanks for the info. -Coop
Old April 10, 2001, 01:07 PM   #5
Jeff, CA

Dave R, try going with less choke. That should reduce the deformation and may improve your patterns. However, you called it - the best thing S&B has going for it is it's cheap.

Old April 10, 2001, 02:38 PM   #6
Dave R

Jeff, I may try one more batch with Improved choke, but the stuff leads the rest of the barrel...which I hate to do.