The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 5, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
lamarw

Touched a Ruger SR1911 Today

I was over picking up my new (lightly used) Sig P220ST today, and the gun store had a SR1911 in the case. The place was jumping, but they pulled it our of the case, and left it in my hands while they wer processing my purchase and that of a a few other customers ahead of me.

It is a pretty pistol, but I was disappointed in the feel compared to my recently purchased Remington R1. I don't think I am biased since I was really expecting the SR1911 to be a much better gun than the Remington (and it may well be). I was actually more excited about handling the Ruger than looking over the Sig I was picking up. The heft/solid feel of the SR1911 itself was lacking in my opinion. The magazine that was with the gun also felt inferior; although I would not recommend comparing weapons based upon the factory mags.

Of course, I did not fire the pistol so my personal opinion is based upon ten minutes of just playing around with it and a visual inspection The price they had listed for the pistol was $599.00. This is $49.00 more than I paid for my Remington. It is most likely a good deal since it is Stainless compared to the Remington black finish.

I am sure there are those who have handled and have more experience with both pistols and will disagree with me. I will respect their more experienced judgement, but I would not select the SR1911 over the R1 from my limited experience today. At least, I finially got to see in person and hold the Ruger.

By the way the Sig P220ST is most likely the best of the three. I will be firing it tomorrow. I also ordered from Sig the Walnut NILL grips. The grips were $99 plus $14.95 shipping. Sig ships orders over $100 are free. So, I included a set of grip screws for $8.99 and got free shipping. It saved me a few bucks and gave me a free set of grip screws.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:07 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

I handled both the Ruger and the Remington at my LGS on Saturday. I ended up leaving with the Remington. Nothing wrong with the Ruger - I just liked the R1 better.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

I love my SR1911 I have done two reviews of it

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1612

and one in a ransom rest

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1660
Old March 5, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
ritepath

Congrats on the SS 220....I want one.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:51 PM   #5
lamarw

Hey ritepath, Go to GunBroker. The same place I got mine from just listed a twin to mine today. It is starting at $495. They come with the original case, owner's manual, three magazines and a separate trigger lock. Mine even had the new hang tag in the box. The three mags it came with look like new.

I drooled all over mine tonight and then cleaned it real well. It is in almost like new condition with some handling wear to the rubber houge grips.

The great thing about Sigs is their customer support. They offer all kinds of services if you want a used gun gone over. I doubt mine is going to need such, but it is a good selling point especially for used guns.

Nice write-ups and reports Mr.RevolverGuy. I am sure the SR1911 is a good pistol, or you would not see so much loyalty and postive things said about it. I hope everyone understands I was just giving my personal observations to what I looked at today.

Last edited by lamarw; March 5, 2012 at 08:57 PM.