The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 11, 2015, 08:40 PM   #1
RevolverOcelot

Russian SKS or Chinese Type 56 Military SKS?

I have the opportunity to buy a Chinese Type 56 SKS. (To clarify: the actual military version with blade bayonet, not the commercial Norinco version with pinned barrel) for $369. It is in very good condition. Bright bore, no rust, totally caked in cosmoline.

I do, however, already own a Chinese Type 56 in "very good" condition, though I can't help but be tempted to pick up this other one because they only get harder to find.

Problem is, I already need to save up a little more money for the $369 one, and I intended my next SKS to be a Russian one.

Should I go ahead and get the Type 56 and have Chinese Twins? Or wait and save up for a considerably more expensive Russian model?

Are the Russian ones really better than the military Type 56? I know they're more collectable, but as far as reliability/duribility/longevity...
Old July 11, 2015, 09:00 PM   #2
dirtd0g

As an SKS-lover and owner I find that the Norincos shoot just as well, are just as reliable, and are just as much fun as Russian or Yugoslavian models.

I have found that most aftermarket stocks and other additions tend to require a bit more modification before accepting the Chinese models, but it's still doable and tight.

Under $400 for a cherry SKS is a decent price, but not a super deal. However it is low enough that I would consider adding it to my collection.

If you do have your heart set on a Russian, save up for one of those... But they are all so similar I can hardly tell the difference when I've got my cheek on the butt and squeeze that trigger.
Old July 11, 2015, 09:06 PM   #3
RevolverOcelot

Quote:
If you do have your heart set on a Russian, save up for one of those... But they are all so similar I can hardly tell the difference when I've got my cheek on the butt and squeeze that trigger.

The Russian is certainly something I intend to have in my collection one day, though I'm not necessarily in a hurry to get one (also haven't really come across an appealing deal for one).

The Chinese one is in the store, I can/have inspect it in person, and something about this cosmoline-drenched old piece of steel and wood is begging me to take her home and clean her up.
Old July 11, 2015, 10:44 PM   #4
skizzums

i am not sure i haveever shot a russian sks. but i have used yugo and chinese. my chinese (norinco)was incredibly reliable and very accurate. i personally had no issue fitting into aftermarket stocks, maybe some do, not sure. 369 isnt a terrible price if you can inspect and it's in really good condition. look for rust and pitting on the bolt, and look for rust under the stock if at all possible. i shopped with a friend to buy an sks and saw several that you could see a line of bubbling rust right on the line of the wooden stock.

note that yugos and very early russans have no chrome lined barrel. your chinese will, and it's doubtful you will see anything other than a bright shiny bore unless it was seriously negleted, if the bore isnt beautiful, i would pass at that price.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
i cant believe atlantic has these in stock, slightly cheaper, but after shipping and FFL will be a wash
Old July 12, 2015, 02:28 AM   #5
shaunpain

You'll really have to think about what it is you really want to do, but if I were in your shoes and since you asked, I would let it go. It's pained me to let a deal slip by in the past many times, but you soon find out that there will always be deals. Especially Norinco SKS's. Those seem to be about the easiest iteration of the rifle to purchase inexpensively everywhere. Everything else has, sadly, dried up.

If your heart is set on a Russian version, then by all means, save your cash and be patient. Wait until you can comfortably be in the position to purchase the rifle you really want. It will be worth the wait.

As an aside, no, I don't personally believe you'll see much difference between a Russian and Chinese. Maybe one's more accurate, but it will be in spite of origin, not because of. I own a Yugo 59/66 and think it's unique. That's exactly the reason I decided it would be the SKS I needed to own. It was worth the wait.