The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 28, 2015, 11:18 PM   #51
tipoc

The Mak is also a tough and durable gun.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:28 AM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Makarov vote here. Less moving parts then your floating barrel counter parts.
If fewest moving parts is the criteria, then I would suggest a matchlock pistol.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:57 AM   #53
darkgael

Durable

Quote:
Durable - simple. Mispec Makarov. Soviet version of our 1911 but less moving parts. I think you'd actually have to deliberately try to break one.
Soviet version of our 1911??
That requires some explaining. Soviet version of a Walther maybe.
The Makarov is a durable gun; more importantly, it is reliable.
Back when soviet ammo was cheap and available, I bought cases of Mak ammo.Shot it all. NOT ONE ftf.
My 1911 GC is well over 60k reliably.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:44 PM   #54
spacecoast

I have an Remington New Model Army that still shoots fine after 150 years. That's pretty durable.

Old May 30, 2015, 09:51 PM   #55
Dirty_Harry

HK USP

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old May 30, 2015, 11:38 PM   #56
cougar gt-e

Sw 460 magnum revolver, but shooting only lite loaded 45colt.
Old June 1, 2015, 10:15 AM   #57
Shadi Khalil

From my experience its two of my Rugers; the New Vaquero or 22/45. Both are built like tanks and take anything I can throw at them. Also, I've found that my M&P is pretty tough as well. I don't buy into the notion that any brand name is guaranteed to out last the owner. I've had too many guns break on my over the years to have that kind of faith.
Old June 1, 2015, 07:33 PM   #58
Webleymkv

I'd nominate a medieval hand-cannon. No rifling, springs, slide rails, or small parts to wear out. Heck, there aren't any moving parts at all unless you count whatever piece of burning material you stick in the flash hole to ignite the powder. Might be kind of hard to find a IWB holster though
Old June 3, 2015, 06:37 PM   #59
rodfac

Most any caliber Ruger Blackhawk....virtually indestructible, especially so in stainless steel. In 50+ years of handgun shooting, a Ruger single action would be my first choice. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 3, 2015, 10:57 PM   #60
JeffK

Quote:
Or Google Hi-Piont to see the real abuse champion, and TRULY no questions asked warrantee, and customer service!
Yeah, pretty amazing, if durable means able to be absolutely tortured and still work fine, there are some pretty amazing videos out there, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoW...916C505DA82E19
Old June 5, 2015, 01:46 AM   #61
bungiex88

I wonder if crossbreed could make me a iwb holster for a .54 flintlock pistol. Might have to buy way oversized pants
Old June 7, 2015, 04:17 PM   #62
CajunBass

A Ruger Single-Six, in 22 LR.

The trailer hitch ball of handguns.

If you manage to wear one out, you have done something to brag about.

Actually, if you manage to wear out any quality handgun, brag about it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 8, 2015, 06:43 AM   #63
Bentonville

Hk . Any flavor.
Old June 12, 2015, 07:29 PM   #64
WVMountaineer

For durability, a Ruger Redhawk is the king on the mountain. We aren't talking favorites or abuse. We are talking durability. And, we all know deep down inside the answer to this one. God Bless
Old June 13, 2015, 11:54 AM   #65
Stevie-Ray

Have to agree with the Redhawk. I bought mine, in .44 mag, to experiment with heavy loads, before I decided that was no fun. Was able to fry a couple scopes, before settling on Burris, which don't seem to break, but the gun was the recommended item for doing just this at the time. Any others, other than perhaps the Dan Wesson, which was astronomically priced, were not. The icing on the cake was that I considered it the most beautiful revolver ever produced. Still do, though it generally sits in the safe, as my focus shifted early to autos. That said, my Colt Mark IV ingested about 15-20,000 rounds during a stretch of a few years, while I prepared for IPSC. I still consider it the finest gun I own. And the early Ruger rimfire autos go without saying, if you're considering rimfire.
Old June 13, 2015, 02:52 PM   #66
bamaranger

weakness

Its just not lots of shooting that will disable or spoil a handguns usefullness. The weak link in all the top quality DA revolvers, and any auto so equipped as well, is the dang gum adjustable rear sights. I personally, thru no intentional act, have goobered the rear sights on a Smith L-frame, and a Smith K, both in duty rigs, resultant of a hard fall at just the right angle and landing on the holster. Didn't do me any good either.

Saw an accessory the other day, a HD looking "fixed" rear sight, that screws into the recess of the rear target sight for S & W revolvers. That would be an attractive accessory to me, were I too be carrying a Smith for serious business.

The old channel type fixed sight as on the Model 10 's M&P's and the big 1917 and New Service types, and the original Peacemakers would have held up much better I'm sure. So too I suspect fixed (well driftable) steel/metal sights on an auto like the 1911 and others. The factory sights on all Glock, adjustable or not, are pretty crappy. MY G34 today had a plastic dingy hanging off the front blade, which I had to clip off.....looked like a hangnail.

Another chink in many pistols are the grips. Loose a grip panel, and on some models, very vital mechanisms are no longer contained or retained in their proper locations. For all my enthusiasm for the brand, the SIGS are a classic example of this fault. Yeah, proper maintenance should catch a loose grip screw....but stuff happens. In really rough use, stuff gets wacked pretty hard, abused regularly. And it may be some time between maintenance intervals. Check out combat photos of any era, .....guns missing parts/cracked parts, are pretty common.
Old June 13, 2015, 02:55 PM   #67
bamaranger

While I'm at it

Surprised, really by all the endorsements of the Makarov. Its predecessor, the Tokarev, had even fewer parts (I suspect) including an ejector that was a milled part of the frame. The Tok seems like the AK of handguns.
Old June 14, 2015, 03:00 PM   #68
rep1954

Ruger Single Six unless you need something with more power then Ruger NM Blackhawk in 357. Stainless if you wish but all guns need cleaning and lube to survive.
Old June 14, 2015, 03:54 PM   #69
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKOTA
Colt 1911 I guess.
Finally... someone said what should been the first answer in this long thread.
Old June 14, 2015, 03:59 PM   #70
745SW

IMO the Glock 17 appears to be the king of round count durability. All steel is king for time/years durability while alloy is somewhere inbetween. Round count can approach 100K using a fast powder loaded just to reliable cycling for the 45ACP and 9mm.

Last edited by 745SW; June 14, 2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old June 14, 2015, 05:09 PM   #71
AK103K

Right now, Ive got a couple of Glocks that are doing pretty good. My one 17 Ive been keeping track of, just past 84,000 rounds yesterday.

I never had any issue with my Colt 1911's, SIG's, HP's, HK's, and a few others either, although I dont have round counts on them. They were shot like the Glocks while it was their turn.

I havent had very good luck with most of the 1911 clones or the Rugers though.
Old June 14, 2015, 05:35 PM   #72
745SW

Gaston Glock shot with his left hand in case the pistol blew-up in developing his pistol. This level of commitment along with his US marketing guru, Karl Walther, appears to have impacted the industry in a big way.
Old June 15, 2015, 02:30 AM   #73
Deaf Smith

Toklat Ruger Super Redhawk in .454, with the proviso one uses ONLY .45 LC standard velocity ammo.

60,000 cup gun using only 18,000 cup ammo ought to last forever.

Deaf
Old June 16, 2015, 11:37 PM   #74
BIG P

SRH.: IN 454 EVEN IF YOU CAN STAND THE RECOIL 50% OF THE TIME IT WILL LAST YEARS AN YEARS. HAD MINE ABOUT 20 YEARS.Maybe the grandkids can tear it up.But I dont think so.

Last edited by BIG P; June 16, 2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old June 17, 2015, 09:43 AM   #75
mes228

Durable

I shoot just about every week and have for years. Truthfully, I've never owned a non-durable pistol. I've had pistols that had some issues but as far as wearing one out, I haven't done it.

My highest round count pistols are probably Glock's. With well over 10K rounds through a couple. I have a Glock 23 that I've carried for 16 years and shoot regularly. It looks like new and have little discernible wear. They've been fired a lot, and carried a lot BUT NOT PRESENTED FROM THE HOLSTER A LOT. Most people would probably guess 1K or less through them. I've always lubed with RemOil with Teflon and Sentry Hi-Slip grease on all contact points. I don't think most could afford the ammo to wear a pistol out today. I know I couldn't.