The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 13, 2011, 07:56 PM   #1
savagelover

Henry rifles-any good or not ??

been thinking of getting the grandsons each a henry rifle in 22 mag..can anyone of you guys tell me your experince with one .i have heard some good and some bad..of course if i get one i will have to get one for the other boys as well so thats a total 4 rifles...will probably have to wait until after christmas to get them...thanks men.....john
Old December 13, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Slamfire

One guy at the range regularly shoots his Henry in 22 LR. He was bragging about the round count, it was multiples of 10,000 rounds.

He was happy, and it shot well at 50 yards.
Old December 13, 2011, 08:17 PM   #3
BigBadPigg

I have a Henry lever action in .17hmr ,smooth action, quarter size groups at 50 yards with open sights. Does a ton of damage on varmints... I love mine looks good too!
Old December 13, 2011, 08:36 PM   #4
TNT

Mine has been a pleasure to shoot my dad has nothing to complain about with his either
Old December 13, 2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Oldwoodsloafer

You might want to consider getting the rifles in 22 Long Rifle rather than 22 Magnum. Ammo is much less expensive and the boys will get a lot more shooting for the buck.
Remember: As a grandpa, your job is to spoil the boys. Taking them shooting is one of the best (and most fun) things you can do.
Old December 13, 2011, 08:56 PM   #6
kst8fan

I have a Henry 22 LR and I have had zero problems. I have put 2000-3000 rounds through mine. They make quality rifles and are suppose to have excellent customer service. I think the grandsons will enjoy these rifles for years to come.
Old December 13, 2011, 09:09 PM   #7
lefteye

I like mine but don't like the plastic bands around the fore-end and barrel and the front sight. I definitely agree with the recommendation to get the rifles chambered for .22 Long Rifle rather than .22 Magnum.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Bamashooter

My Henry in .22lr is accurate, smooth as silk action, simple to break down and clean, and very nice looking when she is cleaned up. Very nice wood. I have actually taken the reciever cover off and touched up a couple spots on it before. I dont mind the plastic barrel band it shines up real nice too.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:53 PM   #9
dieselbeef

mine in 357 is a work of art...havent shot it yet...top quality all round
Old December 13, 2011, 11:55 PM   #10
mrawesome22

I have the Frontier model in 22lr.

Beautiful, well built and the most accurate 22 I have owned. It will be in the safe the day I kick the bucket. Love it.
Old December 14, 2011, 12:28 AM   #11
mellow_c

I love it

My Henry .22lr is a dream to shoot. Nice trigger, smooth action, and very handy, even for an adult! It's good quality and finished nicely.
My rifle shot a little to the right when I got it (from a bench rest)... I just taped the rear sight over a little bit, and now it's dead centered.
The .22lr will hold 15 .22lr's, 17 (I think) .22 longs, and 21 .22 shorts. I really like the idea of it shooting all 3 loads. I'll probably never shoot longs out of it, but I'll shoot lr's and shorts out of it. Im with most of the others in that I think the .22lr is a better buy, especially for grandchildren. But I would like a magnum too :-)
Old December 14, 2011, 03:54 AM   #12
chris in va

Can't say as I've had many issues with my 22lr. Lots of fun, smooth action.

One thing I did learn...never put a dud round back in the tube for re-firing. Jams up the action with the little primer strike piece sticking out.

I only wish it had peep sights.
Old December 14, 2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Jack O'Conner

I've shot about 2500 rounds through my Henry in 22LR. No malfunctions and accurasy is superb!

Jack

Old December 14, 2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Arizona Smithshooter

I bought my grandson a Henry .22LR for his 11th birthday. It was such a nice rifle I bought a .22mag for myself. That was over 3 years ago and neither rifle has ever had any problems. The stock was a bit long for my grandson so I wrote to Henry and they sold me the rear portion of their "Youth" model for a very reasonable price. He has since gone back to using the full sized stock...at 14 he is almost as tall as I am! I mounted a scope on mine, but the iron sights work just fine. I think the .22LR would be a better choice over the .22Mag, just because the ammo is cheaper, plus the rifle holds more rounds of the .22LR.
Old December 14, 2011, 09:30 AM   #15
jephthai

I see some comments about the plastic parts. I bought the frontier model (H001T?), which is all metal. I had one issue that I caused and Henry replaced a part (that *I* broke!) free. Unbelievable customer service.

It's my favorite rifle... my wife's favorite rifle... and now my son's favorite gun, period (he's five). We call it "Momma's gun."

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
Old December 14, 2011, 10:34 AM   #16
EdInk

My .357 Big Boy is awesome. Recommend the .22lr over the .22mag because of ammo prices.
Old December 14, 2011, 01:39 PM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

In .22 rimfire, get the Golden Boy.
Much better than the low-end basic blued model.
Denis
Old December 14, 2011, 09:07 PM   #18
savagelover

great replies and I appreciate them..I have to say they are the only ones I have heard that says nothing but good things about them..I have heardthings about the receiver being made of soft steel and how they had to be sent back to the factory or whatever.
Are the receivers drilled for scope mounts or is it a grooved receiver?
And I guess I will agree about the 22LR instead of the 22 mag.
So tomorrow I am off to the dealer and see if I can get a deal if I buy the four of them....But don't tell grandma..lol Thanks again for the advice and the info......John
Old December 14, 2011, 10:03 PM   #19
wjg686

It's a grooved receiver. And a sweet rifle!

Bill
Old December 14, 2011, 11:23 PM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

On the .22s you don't see the actual receiver, you see the receiver cover, which is grooved.
Denis
Old December 14, 2011, 11:37 PM   #21
Crankylove

Quote:
I like mine but don't like the plastic bands around the fore-end and barrel and the front sight.
I didn't like them on my Henry either............but it took 9 years before I replaced them.......so I guess it didn't really bother me all that bad, and they must have functioned ok.

My Henry has had 15,000 or so rounds through it in the 9 years I have owned it. Only problem I have had was a broken firing pin a couple months ago. Figured if I was going to order a firing pin, I would see about replacing the plastic pieces with the metal ones that come on the .22 mag versions I had seen. Sent an email to Henry to see about how I could order the new firing pin, firing pin spring, metal barrel band, and metal front sight. Had my email answered the next day, saying all the parts were shipped, and would be to me in a couple days............and free of charge.

Its been a great little rifle, and inspired my father to buy two as well, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one (but I wish the price was what I paid when I first bought mine 9 years ago).
Old December 14, 2011, 11:43 PM   #22
GunXpatriot

Yeah, I haven't heard anything bad about them. They seem to be good guns!
Old December 15, 2011, 08:56 AM   #23
TheBear

I have one in .22lr great rifle for plinking and pest control up to 50 yards!
Old December 15, 2011, 08:58 AM   #24
Rifleman1776

They are quality gun made in America.
But, I do wish they were made in a wider variety of calibers.
Old December 15, 2011, 09:32 AM   #25
Fusion

A friend bought one in 22 Magnum a few years ago with the octagon barrel. I'm not sure of the actual model. The gun was gorgeous. The problem started when he took it out of the box. It wouldn't cycle properly. You'd have to work the lever to eject a shell, and then work it again to load the next one. Instead of it ejecting the shell then loading another as you pushed the lever up. He took it back to the gun shop he got it from and they sent it into Henry. He got it back in a reasonable amount of time, but ended up having problems with the gun shop which was no fault of Henry's. After getting it back it functioned perfectly, but he noticed the front site was also mounted off center on it. He is pretty disappointed with his, and is one of the ones that would tell you so. That said, the rifle is absolutely beautiful, and it does function well now that they worked on it.

I've also go a couple of other friends with Henry's including one that bought the same .22 magnum at the same time, and theirs all have worked perfectly, so I tend to think the above friend just got a lemon. After all, every company puts out a bad one now and then. If I was in the market for that type of gun, I would buy one if they offered a gun with the features I wanted in the price range I wanted. Overall they seem to be pretty good guns.