The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 23, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Hardcase

Stolen Firearms

Well, this breaks my heart. Some lowlife has stolen my great, great grandfather's Colt Lightning rifle and an FN 1922 pistol from right inside of my home.

It figures that the one time that I leave a few guns out of the safe, somebody grabs 'em.

The police are working on it, but I figured that you guys keep enough of an eye on auctions and such that if you happen to see something, you can give me a head's up.

The rifle is serial number 637 and is in .38-40. Nothing distinctive about it. There are some scratches on the receiver where somebody's screwdriver slipped off the screws and the rampant colt is somewhat faded. The checkering on the slide is in excellent shape.

The FN is in .32 auto, serial number 35235. It has most of its finish and intact plastic grips.

Guys, please keep an eye out. I'll keep you informed.
Old March 23, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2
MJN77

Damn. I hate it for you. I hope the police find the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] that took them and get your guns back. Good luck. I'll keep an eye out.
Old March 23, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Beagle333

I got a spare eye too. And it's on the job.
Good luck!
Old March 23, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
armoredman

I hope you get your treasures home soon!

Edited for what is redefined as strong language

Last edited by armoredman; March 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Newton24b

dont expect much sadly. who knows maybe they will be one of those idiots who try to use rifle powder in handloads for pistols and find what darwin was talking about.
Old March 23, 2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Hardcase

Well, friends, who likes a happy ending?

I guess that one of the benefits of having virtually no social life is that you know who's been in your house. We have a cleaning service come in every other week. The police went over to the apartment of the "new guy" and when he opened the door, lo and behold, there was my rifle leaning against the wall in plain view.

I got a call about an hour ago saying that both firearms are in the police department's armory and I can pick them up on Monday.

The thief said that I had traded him the guns for some handyman work. I guess that he had some sort of memory trouble when they asked him what sort of work he did.

Newton24b, I was worried about just that thing, but I think the thing that confounded the guy was that .38-40 is like hen's teeth around here. And .32 auto isn't too far behind.

Anyway, major props to the police department here. I couldn't possibly be happier!
Old March 23, 2012, 10:50 PM   #7
egor20

Congratulations Hardcase, I do love a happy ending.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 23, 2012, 10:59 PM   #8
deerslayer303

AWESOME!!

I'm glad your Heirlooms are going to make it home.
Old March 24, 2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

I read the early parts of this post...

...and was speechless about the theft.

Now I am speechless about the return of your firearms.

Happy ending for you and well deserved.

What is happening to the slime who took them?
Old March 24, 2012, 06:15 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

That is about the quickest recovery ever. Kudos to the police!
Old March 24, 2012, 06:37 AM   #11
rodent.22

EXCELLENT!!!!
Old March 24, 2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Hawg

Glad you got them back. Sometimes it doesn't do any good to know who took them.
Old March 24, 2012, 06:47 AM   #13
MJN77

Glad to hear it.
Old March 24, 2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Emuricah513

Very happy for you, I'm just glad he hadn't taken them for any other reason that day, other than to possibly sell or keep them. Not to say he couldn't have but none the less I'm glad no serious damage was caused and you have your weapons back.
Old March 24, 2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Legionnaire

VERY happy for you. I just read the thread for the first time, and just as I was getting worked up on your behalf, you told "the rest of the story." Excellent and fast work by the police. Let us know if you learn the perp's penalty.
Old March 24, 2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Hardcase

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes. I think that one of the benefits of living in a small city/large town is that the police can really be on the ball for crimes like this. I called the non-emergency dispatch number and an officer was at my door in less than half an hour.

Doc, the guy was arrested for grand theft. The officer said that she forwarded the paperwork to the detectives and more charges may be pending.

Now that all this is over, I have to admit that I made a pretty big blunder, too. I got lazy and complacent and left two valuable (and one could say that one of them was irreplaceable) firearms out of the safe when strangers were in the house. I've learned my lesson.

Oh, and about the police here in Meridian, Idaho: Like I said, I think that one of the great benefits of living where I live is that if there's a problem, the police are really on the ball. A couple of years ago, a big dog was running at large in the neighborhood and treed our 18 year old cat. My wife called dispatch to see if the animal control officer was available. Now, this was at 2:30 in the morning. Instead, they dispatched two officers. So, about 10 minutes later, there were two cars blocking the road, while the two officers corralled the dog and figured out where he belonged. Then, after talking to the owners, they helped us get the cat out of the tree. Seriously.

I highly support our police force!

Anyway, thank you all for your support. You're a great bunch to have on my side!
Old March 24, 2012, 12:26 PM   #17
sltm1

Hardcase, sure glad you ended with a "harmonious outcome" !!! I didn't realize you were in Meridian, I'm here in Weiser. I'm gonna send you my ph #, we should get together.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:47 PM   #18
OutlawJoseyWales

Hardcase, awesome ending.
But, are you going to have to move now? Here in Florida, the crooks usually beat the victim back to the house.
OJW
Old March 24, 2012, 03:42 PM   #19
shortwave

You don't often hear good endings when a theft of a firearm occurs.

Congrats to ya Hardcase and thanks for reporting.

This POS probably has a prior rap sheet. Get his name and run it on the computer. I'd make a copy of the record and take it to the apartment mgr. with a request that they check out their potential employees a little better.
Old March 24, 2012, 10:03 PM   #20
armoredman

Excellent ending!
Old March 24, 2012, 10:14 PM   #21
craiso

Outstanding. Sometime ago when you could leave your doors unlocked in the county, some crackhead walked in an took my bedside Blackhawk in .357. I miss that pistol.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:43 AM   #22
sandman_nv

Glad they caught that dirtbag so quickly. add another one to the 'America's Dumbest Criminals' list.
Old March 26, 2012, 03:30 AM   #23
Baylorattorney

Awesome. Do yourself a favor, as well as any heir to your heirlooms and make certain those guns are cleared from the ncic database of stolen firearms, if there was even time enough to get them entered.
Old March 26, 2012, 01:39 PM   #24
Hardcase

I picked them up at lunchtime. No damage at all, thank goodness.

Thanks for the advice, Baylorattorney. I asked the sergeant about that and he said that they didn't have time to enter that data.

Shortwave, the guy just had traffic violations on his record (although enough of them that he probably maintained the traffic court's operating budget.) I don't live in an apartment - the cleaning service is one that I hired to give my wife a break while she's going to college full time (since I have the same reaction to a vacuum cleaner that the cats do). He's currently seeking other employment (although not actively - looks like he's still cooling his heels in the clink.) I don't think that the cleaning company could have done anything differently. But they were tremendously apologetic.

OutlawJW, I'm staying put! And the guns are back in the safe.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this worked out as well as it possibly could have.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:07 PM   #25
orangello

I am glad it worked out so well!

Maybe some muffins for the local cop stop?