The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 31, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Old Country Bopy

Winchester Mod. 06, 22 cal pump.

I learned to shoot on this rifle in the 1940's and 50's. (Serial 282383) It was a family utility gun. Not used for serious hunting or target shooting. It has been in my possession and neglected for many years. I am in the process of cleaning and lubricating it back to serviceable condition. I was appalled at the condition it was in after 30 + years buried under old camp gear in a yard shed. I think it is not beyond restoration. I am ex military and familiar with weapons such as the M-16, which I kind of consider cheaply built of plastic and stamped metal. After soaking the 22 rifle with copious squirts of Hoppe's #9, the pump and magazine mechanism work fine. I'll get it working again OK. But, I do take note that modern weapons do not have the smooth action of precisely machined actions of weapons manufactured a hundred years ago.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
michaelcj

Survey says..... 1912 manufacture on your 1906.
Old October 31, 2011, 09:44 PM   #3
30-30remchester

Old Country Bopy, you have stumbled onto something few have. It is hard to explain to the masses the difference between a finely milled steel gun built by master craftsmen, and the newer stamped, cast, injected, assembly lined, guns of the present. Congradulations on your keen observation.
Old November 1, 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Old Country Bopy

Winchester '06, 22

Thank you. (1912)I figured the rifle must be about 1911 or 12. With Google, I couldn't find a precise manufacture date for serial 282383. It has a smooth wood forearm. It seems the later models had a grooved forearm. The rifle is looking better. The rust spots are not deep, and it is cleaning up nicely. It will never look pristine, but I think it will have a fine antique look and feel when I get it finished. I love that action. It is working perfectly smooth today. I also have a 1965 model 94, 30-30. It is in great shape, but the action is not nearly as smooth as that old 22.
Old November 1, 2011, 09:00 PM   #5
michaelcj

You've got something to enjoy there "special". I have Mdl 1890WRF that was made in 1892... not the best for subMOA groups [but then none of the WRFs really were] but it is still the best feeling gun to take a walk in the woods with. Might have something to do with it being the one Grandpa taught me to shoot with.... but those slim early pumps are just dandy.
Old November 2, 2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Gbro

I also have the Model 1890 22WRF
It is taken to the range often and is always a special treat to shoot. The ammo is spendy but we just use it sparingly.
The single shot bolts are much better for serious shooting and Safer!
I cringe when the grandchildren are given semi auto's
Old November 3, 2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Loader9

I bought an old beat up 06 about 25 years ago that had been neglected. Actually, abused was more like it. You couldn't see thru the barrel from the rust and the action wouldn't hardly move. Took it apart and cleaned it up and the action is a slick as ever but I had the barrel bored and sleeved, there just wasn't anything left of rifling. It's a shooter now and dearly loves the Winchester Dynapoints or any match ammo with 40 gr bullets. You're gonna love that shooter!